Watermaker usage poll

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Watermaker usage on your boat

• We have a watermaker and love it

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No watermaker but plan on getting one

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • No watermaker because we carry enough water

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No watermaker because the expense does not justify the benefit

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • No watermaker because they are a hassle to maintain

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
found in glacial rivers

scale metric inches class other name

> 8 < 3.9 µm < 0.00015 in Clay Mud
>10 < 1 µm < 0.000039 in Colloid Mud

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sediment

I have not searched much, but have seen reference to both silt (3.9–62.5 µm) as well as clay sized particles in glacial runoff. A more detailed size distribution curve would show the proportion of clay sized material. It may be mostly silt at the upper end of its size range based on Larry's experience. If there is only a few percent clay-sized then it is less of a problem.

But I think I would avoid processing the milky water where possible. Clay sized particles will go though the 5 µm pre-filter and potentially clog up your membrane if you run enough gallons through the machine.

Our boat came with a watermaker courtesy of the prior owner. We have not used it yet.

I have used my watermaker extensively in Mexico for my 3 years spent along the west coast. Now that I am back in AK I find that my 300 gal plus 100 gal flexible tank are more than enough for my needs as I am not out of range of a marina with water, ever. The watermaker is mothballed and ready for service if I ever really need it. Hope that day doesn't come too soon.

I have used my watermaker extensively in Mexico for my 3 years spent along the west coast. Now that I am back in AK I find that my 300 gal plus 100 gal flexible tank are more than enough for my needs as I am not out of range of a marina with water, ever. The watermaker is mothballed and ready for service if I ever really need it. Hope that day doesn't come too soon.

It's great having access to good water, but don't forget to re-pickled or use the membrane/pickle after at least a year (check with the manufacturer). We lost a water maker after 18 months by doing nothing even though it was pickled as per.

I suspect many more than represented in the population responding to this column (one third of responders) have water makers. Thus, I don't believe the poll results are representative.

Justifying the cost is a function of where and how you use your boat.

Mostly in marinas in the states, you'd be hard pressed to justify it and there would be too many places you couldn't/shouldn't use it.

Mostly anchoring in clear water, salt or fresh, or cruising in the islands, they are a wonderful luxury. We have an 800 gpd FCI Aquamiser and I wouldn't want to be without it based on how we use our boat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom