Marine Air System Controller failure

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fryedaze

Guru
Vessel Name
Fryedaze
Vessel Make
MC 42 (Overseas Co) Monk 42
I am looking for a replacement Solid State Controller for our Marine Air System C16H 16000 BTU AC system. Its a 1989 Serial #87K11967-11D. It looks like the control transformer smoked. Does anyone know if I can replace it?

If I cant fix it, does anyone have a recommendations for a replacement unit. The current system has a compressor in the ER and an Air handler under the salon seat. It looks like the new units are all-in-on, which would let me eliminate the compressor in the ER.

We are currently on the Loop at Henrys in the Georgian Bay. Lack of AC is no big deal here but the Admiral will get cranky when we hit warmers areas on the trip.

Thanks, Dave

Attachments

• Front of controller.jpg
    Front of controller.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 105
  • Good Controller pic1.jpg
    Good Controller pic1.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 112
Dave, there are a couple of manufacturers that still offer split units. They're more expensive and would likely require someone with HVAC experience to charge the unit. Researched this extensively before replacing my 3 units. While there are some advantages if you're running multiple zones off of 1 or 2 compressors, for most of our boats, the all in one unit is a better more efficient way to go.

Ted

Thanks ted, this unit is not split. The one compressor supplies only one air handler in the salon. I have another compressor that supplies air handlers in the forward and aft cabins.
If I cant get the controller I will just put an all-in -one in the place of the air handler and recover the compressor space in the ER.

Dave....you're not in the greatest of places geographically speaking.
Having spent many a summer in that area. You're best bet is to try and locate the part and have it shipped in to you.
The closest area to get service won't be until Michigan.
The board looks pretty fried unless it is just carbon staining from the transformer. I suspect that it took other stuff with it though.
I'm going to be back to Detroit Monday, if I can be of assistance locating and shipping something just PM me.

To add..just installed 3 of the Marinair air conditioners....so far pretty impressed.

I like the options on the controls....easier to use than some of the others through the years I have played with....no multiple button pushing...etc...

Dave, I am replacing a Marine Air unit this week. It is a 2002 model 16,000 btu unit. I know the controller is good. The compressor died on this unit. Once I pull it you can have the old controller if you want it. It's built into the unit and slides off. All of the board is contained there. I would also think you would need the thermostat.

I am not back on the boat until Wednesday. I can take picture and post it or email it then if you are interested.

The MarinAir unit looks pretty slick though.

Last edited:
Jon, thanks for the offer. I am not sure it would be compatible with my 1987 unit. I have ordered a FX-1 retrofit unit from Coastal Climate. I spoke with an AC tech and he indicated that the FX-1 kit will work and it will be almost "plug and play".
As always thanks for the help TF folks.
Dave

Dave, hope you have a fat wallet. Henry's used to be a great stop for a fresh fish dinner many years ago but last few times we stopped we found it had become just another expensive boaters tourist trap with mediocre food. Sad really considering its long history. How did you find it?

Dave, hope you have a fat wallet. Henry's used to be a great stop for a fresh fish dinner many years ago but last few times we stopped we found it had become just another expensive boaters tourist trap with mediocre food. Sad really considering its long history. How did you find it?

Its along the small craft route and a talking point by most Loopers. The fish was great and lots of it, but you are right the place is a busy tourist spot. There are planes flying in frequently and so many boats coming and going that that the dock crew stays busy. It was a Saturday.
As far as the "fat wallet " goes, the exchange rate covers any higher Canadian prices. Its like getting 20% off everything up here. The prices at Henrys were very reasonable.
Dave

Last edited:
Thanks ted, this unit is not split. The one compressor supplies only one air handler in the salon. I have another compressor that supplies air handlers in the forward and aft cabins.
If I cant get the controller I will just put an all-in -one in the place of the air handler and recover the compressor space in the ER.

Ted, I had a misunderstanding of what a split system is. I thought it was one compressor running two air handlers. I do have split systems, that being a separate compressor and air handler. Thanks

Follow up on AC repair

Well the Salon is back up and running with a new FX-1 controller from Coastal Climate Controls. It was a direct replacement with a lot of improvements with digital controls. Thanks to the folks at Coastal Climate Controls. I phoned in questions and they answered them for me during the install. Pretty cool when you can upgrade a 1988 system and keep this running.

Back
Top Bottom