Entering Carabelle inlet in the dark?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
Is this a really bad idea?

Reason I ask is due to some weather suggestions I just received from Chris Parker. He recommends leaving Clearwater at 8am for the best ride and to miss some thunderstorms possibly, but that puts me at the inlet at around 5am.

Here is his recommendation:

Let's say you depart Clearwater at 8am. You would steam WNW, toward 28-30N/84W for about 7 hours...then, about 2pm, turn NNW for Carabelle. In this 6 hours you could get 40mi from the Coast, and at that distance from the Coast the seabreeze will have less effect.

Last edited:
You could slow down a bit and arrive at 6:30am when it's getting light. Entering inlets in the dark unless you've know the inlet isn't the best idea especially after being under way for 20 plus hours.

Reason I ask is due to some weather suggestions I just received from Chris Parker. He recommends leaving Clearwater at 8am for the best ride, but that puts me at the inlet at around 5am.

Here is his recommendation:

Let's say you depart Clearwater at 8am. You would steam WNW, toward 28-30N/84W for about 7 hours...then, about 2pm, turn NNW for Carabelle. In this 6 hours you could get 40mi from the Coast, and at that distance from the Coast the seabreeze will have less effect.

If you are referring to the pass at the west end of Dog Island, it is pretty straight forward. Get to the sea buoy well offshore. Don't cut corners. Conditions in the pass will depend on tide and how much southerly wind. I would recommend anchoring behind Dog Island as the channels inside are not as straight forward.

Yes. West of Dog Island. That's the pass.

Wasn't planning on anchoring. Was planning on continuing on to Apalachacola after crossing. Might get a slip. Eat oysters and drink beer.

You could slow down a bit and arrive at 6:30am when it's getting light. Entering inlets in the dark unless you've know the inlet isn't the best idea especially after being under way for 20 plus hours.

Well duh. Why didn't I think of that?

Thanks.

In December 2006 I left Tarpon Springs at 2 PM and arrived off Carabelle at 4 AM after a very rough crossing into a cold front. Sunrise was not until 7 AM. I had gotten antsy and left too early.

One of the dumbest things I have ever done. None of the spotlights, hand held or fixed, worked. My buddy who rode across with me was too sick to get out of bed to help so I had to go in on radar and chart plotter because there were no lit markers. We made it but it was scarey. It was a moonless night so I dropped the anchor once inside and it grabbed but it was too rough to stay there. I pulled the anchor and idled down the channel to Government Cut then up to Apalachicola.

If I had not been tied down in the pilothouse of a 42' Nordic Tug it could have been a truly ugly deal.

Um, yeah, if you are not familiar with it. Some shoals to watch out for there. A piece of cake in daylight, but a little tricky at night if it is your first time.

in december 2006 i left tarpon springs at 2 pm and arrived off carabelle at 4 am after a very rough crossing into a cold front. Sunrise was not until 7 am. I had gotten antsy and left too early.

One of the dumbest things i have ever done. None of the spotlights, hand held or fixed, worked. My buddy who rode across with me was too sick to get out of bed to help so i had to go in on radar and chart plotter because there were no lit markers. We made it but it was scarey. It was a moonless night so i dropped the anchor once inside and it grabbed but it was too rough to stay there. I pulled the anchor and idled down the channel to government cut then up to apalachicola.

If i had not been tied down in the pilothouse of a 42' nordic tug it could have been a truly ugly deal.

?.

Or stop in Steinhatchee day one and Apalachacola day two. Should be daylight running only. Lots of crab traps around Dog Island when we went through. Maybe it's seasonal?

Sounds good to me. I would slow down when you get 20 - 30 miles out so you arrive at daylight. Do you have crew for this leg? How much do you draw?

Or stop in Steinhatchee day one and Apalachacola day two. Should be daylight running only. Lots of crab traps around Dog Island when we went through. Maybe it's seasonal?

We don't have that much time. I'm on a schedule dammit!

?

Then strap a few 55 gallon drums of diesel on the back and head for Houston. 4 days, no locks or bridges and a tale we will all want to hear over a beer when you arrive :)

We always arrange to enter unfamiliar inlets during daylight. It's easy enough to change start time for the trip or to delay entry. We'll just cruise slowly outside going nowhere if necessary. Often it would be easy, but there's just that off chance it wouldn't be.

I think that you are missing something. What speed are you planning on running? You will be running against a very slight current this time of year of about .5 knots. That alone if you had not already figured it in should increase your travel time by about one hour and thirty minutes. Which would be perfect timing for the sweet spot of the day breaking and wind dropping down. My weather wave predictions are from late tonight til early Tuesday seas at less than 2 feet. You should have no problems.
safe travels
dan

I did not figure the current. Thanks.

This time of year there is about a 1/2 knot current it runs clockwise in the upper Gulf. I Usually just run a straight line from say Tampa to Carabelle 185 miles or so. Weather window looks very good for you. Enjoy.

Between oysters and beer in Appallchcola you might visit one of the most underrated inventors of the last millinium. One that I give thanks for almost every evening..John Goree, his old home place is now a museum of sorts.

dk

I do Carrabelle at night

My boat is 43' trawler with 5' draft docked at our house up the Carrabelle River. Don't cut corners coming in around Dog Island - there is lots of water to port, but not to starboard. Then pick up the range to head for Carrabelle. Don't get to the right of the range - that's where the spoil is.The surprise is that you go right to the lower (front) range and then turn to port around the #1 green piling. Then it's pretty straight, but a gentle curve to port made up of green markers. They are protecting you from a bar that extends toward you past the #9 marker, so stay well to starboard and near the docked boats as you pass them. We've done it at night with no problem.

Where are you going? To DS Marine (hoist, repairs) you hug the port shore as you come in, starting just as soon as you see docks and before that string of green markers. For C-quarters, Carrabelle Marina, or The Moorings hug the right shore. If you're going up river of the bridge, don't do it as a newby at night.

If you want to anchor and wait for light, head out into the bay away from the end of the ICW and Dog and St. George Islands - you have 20 feet of water just about everywhere. Use a big anchor - we have dragged there. --Tim.

We came through the east pass 1st of June and outer marker was missing. We followed the chart and did fine. Left Bradenton at 8am and arrived dog island at 6:30am. 8 mph boat and it was about 193 miles or so. Wave height was predicted (Buoy Weather) at 2-3 but by 1am we were in 8-10' swells well spread apart though. A lot can change even when they predict otherwise.

We actually went on to Panama City after it got calm.

Had a good crossing. Rocked and rolled the first 10 hours but then it settled down at night and then was glassy in the morning.

Great
Glad you had a good crossing

Back
Top Bottom