What are they?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
We just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Triumph and noticed some unusual pieces at the bow of the boat. This is not a great shot- but in the center are 5 "stands" painted white that encase the outer sections of very nice looking brightwork. The wooden shapes seem to be random patterns. We couldn't think of any purpose for these. Anybody?

Attachments

• dscf6698.jpg
    dscf6698.jpg
    230.3 KB · Views: 69
Carnival had a spare propellor, all shined up and secured in "display" mode on the foredeck on one cruise we were on. Those shapes may hold a spare Anchor, as "art", temporarily mounted on a length of chain and hanging in a hawse hole when that photo was taken.

Don't know what they are, never seen them on the dozen or so different cruise ships I've been on, and have no use (been there once)*for Carnival as my IQ and maturity*is above 90.* OK, maybe it is fine for IQ's and maturity levels up to 110.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of December 2010 08:39:06 PM

markpierce wrote:

Don't know what they are, never seen them on the dozen or so different cruise ships I've been on, and have no use (been there once)*for Carnival as my IQ and maturity*is above 90.* OK, maybe it is fine for IQ's and maturity levels up to 110.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of December 2010 08:39:06 PM
I knew there was a reason I've avoided Carnaval Cruises.* I probably don't qualify for the 90 IQ requirement.

koliver wrote:

Carnival had a spare propellor, all shined up and secured in "display" mode on the foredeck on one cruise we were on. Those shapes may hold a spare Anchor, as "art", temporarily mounted on a length of chain and hanging in a hawse hole when that photo was taken.
All the spare anchors I've seen on cruise ships look like, and are, ANCHORS.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 27th of December 2010 09:06:28 PM

Forkliftt wrote:The wooden shapes seem to be random patterns. We couldn't think of any purpose for these.
It is the mounting for a spare anchor. The stock fits in the* forward centerline clamp and the flukes are held by the fitted clamps shown just aft of that.

It is the mounting for a spare anchor.
So, that Carnival ship shows no need for a spare anchor.* Neverthless, I wonder how the crew can make use of a spare anchor on the bow deck as there never appears to be a crane or other on-board mechanism to deploy it, independent from crane at the harbor.

Spare, anchors, propellors, intermediate shafts are on board to save the expense of transporting them out to where the loss or replacement has occured and also time saving in getting replacement fabricated or machined.
Most cases fitteds by shore cranes.
Have fitted spare intermediate shaft at sea but that was many years ago.
Have lifted Bull and secondary gears on a large turbine gearbox at sea also but in this modern technical age that sort of stuff is handled by shore labour.

Benn

"Have lifted Bull and secondary gears on a large turbine gearbox at sea..."

The bull gear? At sea? SSTG?

I'd like to know what bull gear is as well. I assume we are not talking about this (sorry if I offend anyone).

rocky_mountain_oysters.jpg

This is a reduction gear for a large steam turbine. The "bull gear" is the large gear that is connected to the propeller shaft.

The gear illustrated is a double helical-double reduction gear that combines the power from the high pressure turbine at around 6000 rpm, and the low pressure turbine at around 3000 rpm and reduces it to around 100 rpm at the shaft.

Despite the enormous size, these things are more precise than a Rolex movement and the bearings and gear contact points are hyper critical.* A very highly skilled technician from the manufacturer usually performs or closely supervises any work on the gears. Many times, like the engines on airliners, they are leased rather than owned due to the very high costs of the units. They are not disassembled or repaired at sea. The much smaller gears used on Ship Service Turbo Generators can be worked on at sea though they rarely are.

Attachments

• redgear.gif
    redgear.gif
    23.9 KB · Views: 92

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom