No More Flares on the Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Absent the flag, how would it be recognized as a distress signal?

I think the flashing "S O S" pattern would be the first clue.

According to the ad, it flashes SOS, its for night use. The flag is for day use. I guess both flares and this gizmo come under the same CG requirement as shown in the ad. I've got the flares and pistol, this would be great if it replaces them as advertised.

I have had a similar device onboard for many years. Once turned on it flashes the morse code for SOS repeatedly. I'm not convinced the average individual would understand what it means. As a back up to flares it could serve a useful purpose.

Howard

It would be a nice touch if it could flash "dot, dot, dot, dash) as in Beethoven's Fifth and The Longest Day.

Just went back to their website, there is a section on Fed Requirements and it has the CFR... showing what all is required to be carried. I read it and it seems to contradict what the ad for the light states. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I have had a similar device onboard for many years. Once turned on it flashes the morse code for SOS repeatedly. I'm not convinced the average individual would understand what it means. As a back up to flares it could serve a useful purpose.

Howard

I'm not convinced that I want someone who does not understand what SOS means helping me.

These days the average boater is scary in what they don't know, but I'm sure it has a lot to do with where I boat. :facepalm:

"I'm not convinced that I want someone who does not understand what SOS means helping me."

When your in the foxhole, everyone is religious.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom