Head cleaners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sea Q does it ship regular ground or is it haz mat?
I sent you a PM.

Regular ground i have done air but its a big hassle to do it properly (legally)

We went through almost 3 bottles last season; 42' boat and we're on it a lot. But that was more of an experiment than anything else; in the past, we've always used KO, and never had head odors to deal with anyway.

Some of our club members started raving about your Noflex, so I thought I'd give it a go just to see. Seems to work fine enough. Would be interested to hear a compare/contrast with the method in which KO and Odorlos work? Mostly for academic interest...

One thing I've been surprised about is the number of fans who've raved about how clean their tanks and lines are after using Noflex (could be) but when asked if they opened up their system to look inside, the answer is no, just that their odor problems went away. Makes me wonder what kinds of odors they've been living with all that time in the first place... Or whether their odor problems actually stem more from loose fittings...

You might try pulsing Fawcett's in Annapolis.

-Chris

Sorry I have been down for the count Got to love kids bring every bug home with them.

KO and Odorlos basically over load the bugs making the Hydrogen sulfide gas but only on the surface there good products .Noflex does that a different way but also liquefies the waste so you don't have old stuff left that just compounds the problem.
There are lots of reports on the net of people that have fixed hose smells with it and service people opening up systems 10 years old that look like new .A lot talk about how their sensors start working again. One guy i our club bought 2 bottles last week just to clean up the poly tanks in his boat they were 1/2 full and brown he reports they are back to original and he was able to pump out so he couldn't see any in bottom. e mail today from Australia one boater fixed his Rv grey water sensor with it go rid of the smells also

Thanks for the Fawcetts lead

A lot talk about how their sensors start working again.
e mail today from Australia one boater fixed his Rv grey water sensor with it go rid of the smells also

Yep, one of our owners reported his sensors started working again after being inop since he bought his boat. (I'm thinking his boat is from the years when the sensor probe was mostly plastic and the manufacturer has since replaced that with stainless. If he's still got the plastic one, I'm surprised it started working again.)

OTOH, our probe (the newer stainless version, now) seems to frequently get stuck in various positions these days, starting last season, even with Noflex treatment.

-Chris

KO and Odorlos basically over load the bugs making the Hydrogen sulfide gas but only on the surface there good products .Noflex does that a different way but also liquefies the waste so you don't have old stuff left that just compounds the problem.

Not sure what "over load the bugs" means?

In any case, some additional thoughts you might like to address:

1) Your label says "Instantly neutralizes hydrogen sulfide odors" but it doesn't really suggest how. Does it also promote aerobic bacteria? Or...?

2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?

Realize you might have some "proprietary info" issues with that kind of question, but at the same time believe your marketing would be more effective if you provided more technical info. Otherwise, it seems like "it's magic" is the message... and nobody expects magic with a holding tank. :)

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?

-Chris

Not sure what "over load the bugs" means?

In any case, some additional thoughts you might like to address:

I have most of this on our web page

1) Your label says "Instantly neutralizes hydrogen sulfide odors" but it doesn't really suggest how. Does it also promote aerobic bacteria? Or...?

It just does
One problem are peoples concept of their holding black water tank.
It's not a treatment system (ITS A HOLDING TANK) it has both anaerobic and aerobic.
If you want to talk about promoting aerobic you need a mechanical aeration treatment system

2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. It contains a surfactant to break down the fats and oils that bind allot of the solids together And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?In a aerobic system it liquidizes the anaerobic bacteria releasing it back into the waste stream for processing by the aerobic bacteria turning the system in to a enhanced colony reducing solids and proteins .

Realize you might have some "proprietary info" issues with that kind of question, but at the same time believe your marketing would be more effective if you provided more technical info. Otherwise, it seems like "it's magic" is the message... and nobody expects magic with a holding tank. :)

No one but the people that have tried it and know it is magic and one less headache to worry about when they are suppose to having fun on the water

Aerobic bacteria are used in a sewage treatment system to reduce the biological loading (reduce volume of solids)

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? It remains active until spent that all depends on the bacterial loading it will lay dormant with out ether one --water or waste In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Yes i have never had any reports of damage in a grinder pump type (metal Blades) only problem in a manual pump type were it removes the lubrication on the pump rods a Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?

-Chris

I think i should write up all this on the web page i one place
Most people are just happy it works after buying other products that don't live up to what they are advertised to do. I probably should read Peggy Halls book and see what she said seem alot of people quote it like a bible.
But over all there seems like allot of confusion out there.

If it works sometime better not to worry about it.

I do not recommend using Noflex with any Chlorine treatment systems unless in the larger commercial systems where personal are trained in the function of their treatment system

There was alot here i hope i didn't mix stuff up too much

Very useful! Especially these parts:
2) The label also says "Liquifies anaerobic sludge" but as above, doesn't address method. It contains a surfactant to break down the fats and oils that bind allot of the solids together And is it harmful to aerobic bacteria?In a aerobic system it liquidizes the anaerobic bacteria releasing it back into the waste stream for processing by the aerobic bacteria turning the system in to a enhanced colony reducing solids and proteins .

3) For how long is the product active? Minutes? Hours? Even after it dissolves? It remains active until spent that all depends on the bacterial loading it will lay dormant with out ether one --water or waste In our case, with an electric macerating head, introducing Noflex into the bowl and then flushing that load into holding tank -- if I do it before the granules dissolve -- sounds like running sand through our macerator. Seems to me potentially damaging, so I've been letting the granules dissolve in the bowl for a while before eventually flushing. Is the stuff still working, at that point? Yes i have never had any reports of damage in a grinder pump type (metal Blades) only problem in a manual pump type were it removes the lubrication on the pump rods a Or have I only treated the bowl, not the holding tank?
Didn't realize somebody in the business might not be familiar with Peggie's book. :) I know she and her husband were working on the idea of promoting aerobic bacteria -- and contrasting that with septic systems -- in at least the late '80s/early '90s.

In our electric macerating system, I've been mostly concerned about the sidewalls of the chopper housing. I wouldn't expect damage to the blades, but OTOH if the housing is hosed (so to speak) then I wonder if the blades will no longer be able to act as an impeller... maybe...

The parts I underlined would seem very useful for your website; I don't remember seeing that kind of detail before. OTOH, I admit it's been a while since I reviewed your website :)

-Chris

I just read through this thread with interest. Placed an order for Noflex, Biotal and Tank-Teria.

I'll give it a try and comment on the results. Thanks TF for the info.

After this thread we, too, ordered some Noflex. Have been using it for three weekends, including a 3-day weekend with four adults on the boat. No odors so far. I have been putting in around a teaspoon after we pumpout, then the same amount the following weekend before we leave the dock, and a little sprinkle here and there as we are on the boat. Seems to work better than the Happy Camper we used last season. We have tried the Raritan KO in the past with mixed results, likely becuase we only have one tank vent and the KO needs lots of oxygen. Asside from adding a second vent, Noflex seems to be working well thus far. We will see how it holds up when temps get into the 90s. For what it is worth, the pumpout sight glass looks the same now as it did before, and we still have an issue with our tank monitor, but I wan't expecting it to change those factors.

What size is your holding tank
How old is your ship
How long ago did your sensor stop working

2002 with a 30 gal. holding tank. We bought the boat three years ago, and the sensors have never worked right. The green (empty) is always on, and the yellow (low) never comes on. The amber (mid) and red (full) work fine. My guess is that the floats are stuck, but I have yet to muster the courage to remove the unit from the holding tank. :eek: We use the boat almost year round, usually with just the two of us, and we pump out after just about every trip (it is free at our marina). We also flush the tank with fresh water at each pumpout.

2002 with a 30 gal. holding tank. We bought the boat three years ago, and the sensors have never worked right. The green (empty) is always on, and the yellow (low) never comes on. The amber (mid) and red (full) work fine. My guess is that the floats are stuck, but I have yet to muster the courage to remove the unit from the holding tank. :eek: We use the boat almost year round, usually with just the two of us, and we pump out after just about every trip (it is free at our marina). We also flush the tank with fresh water at each pumpout.

Do you have the Tank Watch 4 monitor? I fought a losing battle with it for years til I finally got smart, thanks to Codger2's recommendation, and got a Solo tank monitor. End of problems with monitoring.

If possible.
Next pump out put a full 2 oz into tank from toilet and fill the tank high enough to just to cover the floats with just water salt or fresh it doesn't matter
And let it sit for 1> 2 days and pump it out again and do what you do normally with a spoon full at the start.
Do you have a vent filter it might be best to remove
There will be alot of action and we don't want any foaming and T Paper plugging it.
If it is a plastic tank take pics of the outside before and after.
I had one customer so interested in it watch the tank for 6 hours while it did its stuff. Not high up there on my list of stuff to do but whatever.

Let me know how it goes it will start working before you can get back down to tank and its better not to open it up if not needed

Dwhatty - Yes, the Tank Watch 4 is exactly what we have. Since I know when it hits mid and full, fixing it has been low on the list. That and I've been hoping that one day whatever is keeping the floats from moving would eventually work its way loose by taking good care of the holding tank. Just looked at the solo and it wouldn't work for us. The holding tank is molded into the keel. If we replaced with anything other than the Tank Watch we would need to glass over the hole where the sensor is mounted and redrill.

Sea Q - I'll give it a try this weekend. Just the wife and I on the boat, so no problem filling it half way. I assume it will be OK to use it while we are on the hook Sat night? No vent filter, and I make sure to run water through the vent at every pumpout. Since the tank is part of the boat structure/keel, no way to see what is happening other than to remove the sensor. I'll let you know how it goes.

Last edited:
No worry's doing at the hook its fine
Its always a good idea to back flush the vent once in a while
This will give tank a good clean

We had the exact same issue with our sensor. Here's what we did. Fill the tank with fresh water and pump out a few times. Then add 3 or 4 gallons of white vinegar and some water. Let it sit for a day or two. Pump out and rinse with fresh water. Then we opened and fixed the sensor. No issue with tank smells when we opened it up.

What did it take to fix the sensor? Just a cleaning or did you have to replace parts?

We replaced it. Mostly to better the odds of not having to do it later

It occurred to me. Our holding tank had sat unused for a long time before we did this. I hope it works as well with a tank that is under regular use

Zaal Noflex as of this July
Western Marine and Transat Marine are now Canadian distributors their web page list all the dealer. also Yacht Tech in Florida is also

Any progress in the Mid-Atlantic area?

-Chris

Any progress in the Mid-Atlantic area?

-Chris

Tried a few Like Donovan Marine but couldn't get by the switch board or my emails disappeared.

Land and Sea was to busy in Canada so i didn't even try in USA

Give it a month with what is going to happen up here it will spill over

New customer the Bluenose II -- the Noflex (Magic) it fixed all

I have Noflex in stock now. Should be on my website in a day or two.

Tried a few Like Donovan Marine but couldn't get by the switch board or my emails disappeared.

Land and Sea was to busy in Canada so i didn't even try in USA

Give it a month with what is going to happen up here it will spill over

New customer the Bluenose II -- the Noflex (Magic) it fixed all

Fawcett's in Annapolis (and their online wing, pyacht.com) would still seem a likely candidate for those of us here on the Chesapeake.

-Chris

HopCar, How much is in the Noflex package and how much is each treatment? Thanks, Howard

More importantly, what are shipping costs. From the West Coast that sometimes tends to equal or exceed the cost of the product.

-Chris

Yup they were my first choice. Perfect Match for product
E mailed and then followed up with i think Bill by phone he said they would look into it and pass it on to purchasing.

I really need support from people on this site
Contact Fawcett and let them know you would like to have them carry it

Bill Griffin
bgriffin@fawcettboat.com
(410) 267-8681 Ext. 127

Howard, I've got it at 19.95 for the jar. I think the number of treatments you get out of the jar will depend on the size of your holding tank. Take a look at the Noflex website. They have detailed instructions. It sounds like you don't need to be real precise in measuring it.

Shipping will be by regular ground service. It can't go by air or mail.
I put it on my website this afternoon.

Only last week I cleaned my black water tank as it was a bit smelly just used portable toilet chemical with fresh water left it for a few days went for a run up the river doing a few hard turns to splash the stuff around then pumped it out on inspection it was fresh and clean all the sludge had gone .I think this portable toilet chemical is just caustic soda with a expencive label ?

Hi Gaston
First shipment arrived of Noflex in Australia of Noflex 3 weeks ago
Dist is on Noflex world map.
You have to be careful with caustic product they generate heat and can punch a hole in a plastic tank or piping
If you have alum tank ---caustic is not a good idea.
Dangerous personally to use also

Got this last week from our commercial rep in Nova Scotia

I thought you’d like to know that the famous Bluenose II schooner is now using Noflex and living it! I was on board for an equipment problem and noticed a strong odor of sewage. The 500 usg sewage holding tank vents to the upper deck and the smell was unescapable. There is a carbon filter on the vent, but it wasn’t getting the job done. Imagine, Nova Scotia’s sailing ambassador, visited by thousands of people from around the world smelling like an outhouse. How embarrassing!

Well problem solved thanks to Noflex. I introduced the engineer to Noflex and gave him a couple bottles to try. I suggested that after his next pump out, he put the two bottles in over a few of days to get the process started and then use about ½ teaspoon per person/day. Well it’s worked like a charm, the odor is gone and the crew and owners could not be happier.

She can be Noflex’s sailing ambassador now!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom