No insurance coverage if I go to the Bahamas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monk36

Vessel Name
Dot Calm
I just learned my insurance carrier, Seaworthy Insurance, part of Geico, will NOT cover my 1982 Island Gypsy trawler if I leave USA waters and go to the Bahamas. They say this is because I only have ONE engine. Even though I also have a detached 6 horse Merc for my dinghy, they tell me I am not covered if I leave the USA.

WOW...what a bummer. I was looking forward to getting the courage to making the crossing with my wife...a short sixty some miles from our home port on the Treasure Coast of Florida.

Have others found the same story? I found it difficult to even get coverage because my boat is over 30 years old, but now to learn this, I am not a happy boater.

Any ideas on other companies that write insurance on older boats and will cover travel outside the USA with a single screw? I sort of feel "screwed".:facepalm:

Call Al Golden, International Marine Insurance. He's an independent yacht insurance broker who insures power and sail cruisers who go all over the world. I've known him for more than 20 years. The only broker I've ever even HEARD of who actually went to court on behalf of his client when an insurance co. he represents--or more likely used to represent--didn't want to pay a claim. And he does insure older boats.

International Marine Insurance Services
110 Channel Marker Way #200
Grasonville, MD 21638
800-541-4647

On related subject...make sure your health insurance will cover you out of the country...Medicare does not. Your "medigap" supplement or Medicare Advantage carrier may or may not.

Last edited:
I don't think it's uncommon to have restrictions like this put in insurance policies. We use an insurance broker, Anchor Marine based here in Seattle. They shop for the best policy for our boat, so over the 17 years we've owned this particular boat our policy has actually been with several different insurance companies.

To my best recollection all of them have included restrictions on where or how often we can go to certain regions. Examples are the west coast of Vancouver Island and how far out into open ocean we can go. I recall there was at least one policy that specified the number of times per year we could go up the Inside Passage to SE Alaska, and the calendar envelope of time during a year we could make this trip was defined, too. Since we aren't in a position to do this kind of cruising yet we haven't paid that much attention to these details.

The restrictions seemed to have more to do with the weather and water conditions we might encounter rather than the configuration of the boat itself; number of engines, etc.

I think from experience that the restrictions are based on a number of criteria such as size of boat, type of boat, experience of the captain, etc...

We have all of Alaska and Canada to 62 degrees north, not to exceed 50 NM from shore. I inquired about extending to the west coast US states and was told there was a cost, but it was doable with a phone call.

Over the years have found numerous geographic restrictions. Many companies have no interest in insuring travel to the Bahamas or Caribbean. My guess is your company doesn't want to cover boats there but doesn't want to lose the sport fish market.

Would be interesting to know whether the one engine restriction applies to sailboats, probably not.

LLoyds will cover what ever you desire.

they will cover but will they pay without a court battle

I have a friend that is battling them now courts in Miami

We have good friends who love aboard in the Bahamas with full coverage. In addition they have made claims and received prompt full payment with no problems. They are insured through edwardwilliam.com , the brokers email is: tristan@edwardwilliam.com

Dale.

You get what you pay for. We elected to have the clause prohibiting us from cruising Florida or the Bahamas from Aug 1st to Dec 1st, which effectively cut our premiums in half. That on a 36 year old boat with a single engine. Have a similar clause on the policy for the Bayliner (thanks to forum member Pau Hana).

I think it is pretty UNCOMMON to deny for one engine for travelling to Bahamas, Canada, Mexico. Further destinations maybe....but in my experience, the navigation limits are based on experience more so than boat.

Here are my Nav limits.....

Navigation Limits Warranty: Warranted confined to the use and navigation of coastal waters, and waters tributary thereto, of the Atlantic Ocean and Gulf of Mexico, including the Bahamas, from Eastport, ME to Pensacola FL, not south of Cumberland Island, GA, between June 30 and November 1.

Many companies offer free quotes...check around.

I just learned my insurance carrier, Seaworthy Insurance, part of Geico, will NOT cover my 1982 Island Gypsy trawler if I leave USA waters and go to the Bahamas. They say this is because I only have ONE engine. Even though I also have a detached 6 horse Merc for my dinghy, they tell me I am not covered if I leave the USA.

Any ideas on other companies that write insurance on older boats and will cover travel outside the USA with a single screw? I sort of feel "screwed".:facepalm:

Don't tell them I only have a single. :rolleyes: Something is wrong there.

Attachments

• img004.jpg
    img004.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 150

.................................................. I sort of feel "screwed".:facepalm:

Did they actually say "single screw"?????

or could it also be experience (in boat type, etc)????

Have you ever boated in the Bahamas before? Do you have lots of experience with 30 plus foot single engine boats???

Again in my experience...they can be very picky with navigation limits based on YOUR experience.

They may increase your navigational limits with a change in premium or deductible after some discussion.

"We have good friends who love aboard in the Bahamas with full coverage"

When 'loving aboard' my wife and I prefer NO coverage!;);)

To funny

Our Allstate coverage is good to 100 miles offshore, we were a bit over that while in the Abaco's, but we just rolled the dice on given the brief period in that area.

Wifey B: Maybe you need to watch, "Sex Sent me to the ER" on TLC. While you might not need coverage, you might need insurance coverage.

Al Golden was mentioned, our member Pau Hana. Then insurers such as Pantaenius and Lloyd's. Look at your exclusions carefully but then don't accept exclusions that unduly restrict you.

We've heard so many tales of what "Can't be covered". Well it all "Can Be Covered" by someone at some price. So we keep our boats year round in hurricane zones, we cruise offshore, out of the country, West Coast, East Coast, Panama Canal and we're covered for all and we are not paying some exorbitant premium. It's just all part of our policy. The only restrictions we have world wide are certain areas of high piracy and other discord such as war would require a rider to be added if we chose to go to them.

The strangest insurance I ever recall being involved in was many years ago, we purchased war insurance on our airplane and pilots as we sent them to retrieve some goods from a country that was in a war state. We also got inclusion for flying over Cuba and got clearance from Cuba to facilitate the trip.

However, just look at actresses and models insuring body parts. That tells you anything is insurable.

Someone mentioned Lloyd's above and someone having difficulty getting paid. I obviously don't know the situation, but their overall reputation is to settle and pay better/sooner/more fairly than industry norms. That doesn't mean that there are not situations where problems do occur.

The question I have is, did you say single engine on the application? Likely if you had said single screw the dumb A that wrote the standards would have approved your trip because of not knowing single screw and single engine is the same thing. Or tell them it is a twin engine. One for the generator one main. That would also confuse them. Which bridge do they get these guys from under in the AM.

Atlass in Fort Lauderdale will fix u up.

On my recent "Baja Bash" from La Paz, BCS, to San Diego, I was out of my coverage zone for about a day and a half. I had waypoints to tell me when I was covered again. I guess if I had any problems I would try to limp back into coverage range. My exclusions are because of the Baja hurricane season. YMMV.

Cheers, Bill

My Seaworthy policy is through Atlass also (Merritt Island Office.) Russell Jamieson has been fantastic to work with and my premium is ridiculously low considering we keep our boat year-round in South Florida. Our nav limits include the entire east coast, Bahamas, and Turks & Caicos.

ERIC

My State Farm policy (limited options with a ferro hull) is from Cape Spencer (furthest point of what is considered "inside passage") to Ensenada.

I think what most of these people are saying is that the coverage is available. My suggestion is to find an insurance broker and have him shop around for you....The insurance is there, they just have to find it. I use an independent insurance agent in League City Tx but am insured thru someone else. I also have a 30 year old boat.

Interesting thread. I am in the insurance industry and gave a seminar on marine insurance to our yacht club a couple of years go. I reviewed policies from six different companies and there were significant differences between all of them. If you have a boat that is kept in the water (I.e. Not on a trailer) you should get quotes and coverage comparisons from a good yacht broker.

For those who have posted that they knowingly traveled outside their coverage zones... what a bad idea. Imagine an accident where you couldn't limp back. Engine failure, boat is grounded on rocks. You get nothing. Or someone is injured on your boat. No coverage from the boat policy, then your Umbrella ( you have one, right?) policy won't kick in.

In a significant claim I could see an insurer look at your GPS tracks or other information in order to determine whether they would cover you. You could end up (single or double) screwed. Boat insurance is NOT like car insurance. Work with one of the brokers mentioned in this thread and get the right coverage for all of your needs.

:thumb::thumb:

Interesting thread. I am in the insurance industry and gave a seminar on marine insurance to our yacht club a couple of years go. I reviewed policies from six different companies and there were significant differences between all of them. If you have a boat that is kept in the water (I.e. Not on a trailer) you should get quotes and coverage comparisons from a good yacht broker.

For those who have posted that they knowingly traveled outside their coverage zones... what a bad idea. Imagine an accident where you couldn't limp back. Engine failure, boat is grounded on rocks. You get nothing. Or someone is injured on your boat. No coverage from the boat policy, then your Umbrella ( you have one, right?) policy won't kick in.

In a significant claim I could see an insurer look at your GPS tracks or other information in order to determine whether they would cover you. You could end up (single or double) screwed. Boat insurance is NOT like car insurance. Work with one of the brokers mentioned in this thread and get the right coverage for all of your needs.

He put it so clearly and we keep saying it but I'm still not sure how many listening. If you don't know every detail of your policy then you have no idea if it's a good price or not. Every inclusion and every exclusion.

You circumvent the policy and it can so easily backfire on you. Insurers are happy to let you go your own way until you have a claim. But they do investigate claims, especially sizable ones. And they know every trick, everything to look for.

Don't ignore the hint on umbrella policies. Now as he said it won't help if you're outside the boundaries of your primary coverage. But most people don't realize how much umbrella coverage you can get for a modest amount. I don't care how much your primary policies cover, it's still very easy to get sued for many times those amounts.

I'd say 95% of insurance agents know little to nothing about marine insurance. And of those who do know, 95% of them know nothing about coastal or ocean coverage. You even go to these insurers like Boat US and you're getting what someone sees on their system which may or may not be what you need. Most of the persons you get do not know the intricacies. Ask them a couple of complicated questions and you'll find out. For instance, if the salvage is secondary to a non covered event, will it pay for the salvage? (Example, salvage the result of an engine failure covered under engine warranty). What about environmental resulting from causes other than collision? What about named storm, are there any requirements on where or how the boat must be secured? What about a storm in which my boat isn't directly damaged but is damaged by another uninsured boat?

I won't buy any policy that I haven't seen the full policy first. The first pages I turn to are the exclusions. I've read every policy I have in full just as I read manuals for equipment. Sick, I know. But I've also had them reviewed by others who know more about them than I do.

Auto insurance policies are carefully regulated by every state and still many have totally inadequate policies. This brings us back to umbrella. There's a common statement I've heard by auto agents that says there is no reason to insure for more than your net worth. It has zero logic. People can make claims against you far beyond your net worth. There are a lot of companies and individuals who end up having to declare bankruptcy after one major claim.

How many people have thought they had great coverage on their homes for hurricanes, but found out not for the flooding? How many had the roof blown off and covered but not the rain through the open hole?

Incidental damage is major with warranty's and insurance. Many boat policies do not cover anything that happens incidentally to a non-covered event.

In business, we prefer fancy words so we have someone to head our Risk Management department. Well, that's what insurance is, risk management. And if you don't personally have someone to manage that, then you better be sure those you use outside such as brokers or lawyers or any others are doing it for you. Rest assured the insurer has their own risk management people to manage their risks. Do you have a broker you trust to manage yours or just a broker or agent collecting commissions from insurers?

I'm going to say this too. Yacht insurance. I don't generally like to use the word "Yacht". But there are companies that have yacht insurance as opposed to "boat" insurance. That word scares people away. You think, I don't have a yacht so I sure can't afford yacht insurance. You'll be amazed how wrong you are. Go through a true marine broker and you'll probably find out that for equal coverage...not I said EQUAL COVERAGE...the so-called Yacht insurance is less expensive than the so-called boat insurance. Major marine insurers don't charge an arm and a leg to cover you in the Bahamas or South Florida or other places. The majority of their customers go to those areas. I have to laugh at how many times I've heard people say we can't get coverage that will allow us south of certain lines during hurricane season. I ask them, "Do you think no boats in Florida are insured?" Right there they should know they need a different broker for their marine insurance, because the true story is their agent doesn't have a policy or know how to get one to cover them in those areas.

Please carefully shop your broker, then carefully shop your policy. What you don't know can cost you everything.

Markel will let you add a rider for the Bahamas (or other places) with your paying extra only for the time you are out of the county.

Umbrella coverage. You may have to shop for Caribbean coverage as many/most umbrella policies will not cover a boat once outside of the US or Bahamas.

I give a thumbs up for Al Golden at IMIS. They covered our sailboat all the way to Trinidad. Had their Jackline policy that changed everytime we entered a different area. Very reasonably priced.

Umbrella coverage. You may have to shop for Caribbean coverage as many/most umbrella policies will not cover a boat once outside of the US or Bahamas.

Umbrella policies take different forms.

Umbrella policies are sometimes "follow form" policies. They cover every liability you have insured but the amounts in excess of your insurance.

Other times they are broader and cover a wide scope including areas not covered by other policies so as to some risks they become the primary insurer as they "drop down" to cover those risks.

Like any policies they may come with exclusions.

Your point is valid in that often times the umbrella will have the same exclusions as the primary if it's a "follow form" policy.

Umbrella policies take different forms.

Your point is valid in that often times the umbrella will have the same exclusions as the primary if it's a "follow form" policy.

Slightly different problem for me, in Northern Indiana only two of the 12 companies I called would cover Bay Pelican in the Caribbean under their umbrella policy. The two companies I found were State Farm and Chubb. I was willing to move our home, two cars and a personal property policy to get the umbrella coverage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom