Anybody know how to figure this out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Easy. Answer is 7. I used the same formula king authur used to answer " what is the air speed of an African swallow laden with a coconut?"

On my first ship we were anchored in a 4 point moor with 10" Sampson braid rope. We snapped two of the during a heavy storm that blew in on the beam. 4 20k anchors with 12" chain on 6 ton buoys that never drug. They weren't Rockna's.

I too have all chain and am little help with this.....but can see there are some knowledgable folks on this board! Great info.

No worry. There's 11 and a half months left to do the calculations when they will be needed.

The simple answer is: "Don't anchor where you will have to short scope (like at Mandeville) under extenuating circumstances." More is better. Heavier chain is better. Using the engine to ease the load until the anchor sets and the boat heads into the current/wind is key also.

The hassle is it would take lots of tending to STAY at a 90deg angle to the current.

Any side loading causes the boat to move (think sailboat) which will cause one set of anchor lines to have a higher load.

Even a SQ barge will surge one way or the other.

I was trying to discuss how rapidly we can increase anchor load,

It's all exploring how quickly anchor loads can ramp up with current, wind and way you set up your anchors. As soon as you get away from just dropping a single anchor how adding a second anchor can actually add to anchor loads. Something I hadn't really thought about. Another point I wanted to make is how rapidly current and wind velocity increase anchor loads.

A chain rigged tight across 2 posts (anchors) with 1000lbs (boat) pulling from the center exerts 2000lbs pull on each post not 500lbs as most would assume.

Chicken butt.

So Scary, in Flyrights example we are up to 3000 lbs?
image.asbx

That's got me wondering what size my chain is. I'll have to go check.

Richard

7/16" Grade 43 (G4). 350' - that's 700lb in weight (21,600lb breaking strength).

Thanks for making me check - now I know!

Richard

Last edited:
What winch

7/16" Grade 43 (G4). 350' - that's 700lb in weight (21,600lb breaking strength).

Thanks for making me check - now I know!

Richard
You may own the throne on chain. What kind of winch.

You may own the throne on chain. What kind of winch.

It's an Ideal Windlass. Slow but effective. We won't say what kind of anchor is on the end of the chain...

Richard

Attachments

• IMG_2287.jpg
    IMG_2287.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 64
Straightforward enough. Measure the tension with a custom tensiometer. I'm sure some engineering firm would be happy to do the study for a fee. Figure on the mid 6 figures.

Another option: contact one of the big oil companies. I'll bet they have already done fairly in depth studies on the forces of currents and waves on their moored structures.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

A chain rigged tight across 2 posts (anchors) with 1000lbs (boat) pulling from the center exerts 2000lbs pull on each post not 500lbs as most would assume.

Or 0 as the case may be, and usually is. Unless of course you are trying to pull the boat apart.

I thought the attached drawing would clarify the anchoring across a current situation. It is impossible to keep the boat in line with the anchors since the rode tension would be infinite. The tension can only be determined when the angle is known.anchor.jpg

We have had to deal with this situation once a few years ago. This was a Labor Day raft of about 10 boats. The raft was set up by a fellow who is very experienced at doing this, and it was oriented to the prevailing wind. There were six anchors used: at angles off the bows and sterns of the boats next to the end boats and straight off the bow and stern of the center boat.

However, the wind shifted after the raft was set up until it was blowing relatively hard 90 degrees to the boats.

We were the upwind boat, so the "raft master" had us deploy our Fortress FX23 stern anchor 90 degrees off our starboard side from the midships cleat. The pressure on that anchor and rode was considerable but it kept the raft in place. Some of the load was picked up by the angled anchors off the boat inboard of us.

So no calculations or hard numbers, only the evidence that whatever the pressure is, it can be a lot. This was from wind, not current.

Our Maritime Authority decreed fore and aft moorings, more boats in a given space = more mooring licensing fees, but there was an outcry, and some expert opposition based on the loadings imposed, it got dropped most places. I`ve seen it at Angel Isl in SF, can`t be much fun hooking up.

Our Maritime Authority decreed fore and aft moorings, more boats in a given space = more mooring licensing fees, but there was an outcry, and some expert opposition based on the loadings imposed, it got dropped most places. I`ve seen it at Angel Isl in SF, can`t be much fun hooking up.

The fore-and-aft mooring in Ayala/Hospital Cove at Angel Island is designed so boats face incoming wakes (mostly from ferries) but cross-wise to the currents.

http://angelisland.org/visitor-information/boating-camping/

Raises the difficulty in hooking up, but I've always had help from a fellow TFer in a dinghy. Note current pushing boat away from the photographer:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom