Passing and being passed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
charles wrote:

rwidman wrote:

charles wrote:Example

Two big sport fishing boats were approaching me in Fla. I could not raise them on therVHF.
I made a "securite" call but specified the two sportfish at such and so MM.

I am the trawler style approaching you and you have not slowed. In order to reduce damage I will cross the leading boats wake that will place me in front of the following boat. Deal with it.

Needless to say they slowed.

Charles,

You are taking a huge risk in assuming that another boat is monitoring the radio.* If you pulled in front of another boat and there was an accident, you would have been at fault.* Even if you announced your intentions on the radio.

If you want to be safe on the water, you had better assume that all the rest of the boats are being operated by chimpanzees.*
ashamed.gif

Of course I understand and know this. NOTE it was my intention to slow the j____
and it worked. Note also that the channel was NARROW , literally I had no where to go. They were not exactly in line one was closer to*my*side of the channel*than the other so there was nothing that I could do except turn into the first wake, even at a much reduced speed I would have still been very close to the second boat.
We are talking banks on each side NOT buoys!
*I had pretty much the same experience on a cut in the ICW north of here.* Fairly large trawler coming towards me dead in the middle.* I tried hailing him on the radio, then the danger signal with my(loud) trumpet horn.

I had two choices, meet him head on and argue about the blame if there were any survivors, or head for the side and cut power.* I chose the latter so I still have a boat.

I called him some nasty names on the VHF but there's no guarantee that he was listening*or cared what I thought of him.

I guess I could keep a flare gun on the flybridge.* That might get their attention if properly aimed!

As long as we are telling war stories, here's one.* Nov. '08 crossing Lake Okeechobee E to W.* While heading in the cut at Clewiston met a big sportfish East bound throwing a huge wake.* We backed off, let the bow drop, and called the approaching boat.* Several people on the flybridge in plain site.* No answer and no slowing down.* The channel is cut out of coral rock (think rock pile).* They flew by us looking down on us like we were crazy or something.* It is a wonder that we did not do about $50,000 damage to our boat.* Happens to us, too.* There is not much you can do with ignorance and arrogance.* As has been said, you can't fix stupid!

Moonstruck wrote:

There is not much you can do with ignorance and arrogance.
Of course the giant irony is that if what they did to your boat had happened to their boat, they would have been yelling bloody murder, filing complaints with anyone who would listen, and calling their lawyers.

There is something that might work on the arrogant as*holes like those that Moonstruck encountered.* We were told about this on our very first narrowboat trip in the UK back in 1990.* Some of the canals go through pretty rough parts of the more industrial towns like Manchester, and some of the less desireous of children and teens enjoy hassling the boaters, swiming in the locks and not letting them in, trying to jump on the boats, throwing things at them, and so forth.* We actually never had a problem with this on the many narrowboat trips we've taken, but we were told a very effective technique to deal with it is to aim a camera at them.* If they think their antics are going to be photographed or video taped it more often than not sends them scampering.* Or at least reduces them to verbal abuse rather than actually screwing things up for you.

I don't 't know if this would work in the situations described in the earlier post, but if you not only shouted and waved and tried the radio to get the oncoming boat's attention but also very prominently looked like you were video taping the boat, it might get the oncoming buttheads to thinking about what they are doing.* And today, everything's got a video camera in it so you can even hold up a cell phone without a camera and pretend to be tracking them with it and they'll think "they're video taping us."

And of course if you really DO have a video camera and the jerks really do blow by you and mess up your boat or you or your guests or all three, you have evidence should you decide to pursue the incident in the legal system.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 24th of December 2010 07:40:19 PM

If one removed their flying bridge (see the thread "pictures for nomadwilly"), one would have room for a twenty-millimeter cannon for aiming at errant boaters and juveniles.* (Just kidding!)* OK, how about a large-sized movie camera on a tripod?* Perhaps the "five shorts" danger signal is underutilized.* Shouldn't boaters operating*"over-the-top" hazardly be reported* to the Coast Guard?* (Today on the way between Monterey and Martinez, I've seen highway signs requesting those observing drunk drivers on the highways to call 911.)

Mark, I don't know if you have ever cruised on the East coast.* There is a section of the ICW south of Norfolk that during rush hour there are several restricted bridge openings plus a lock and bridge at Great Bridge to get through.* Because of this, a large group of boats had gathered waiting for the Great Bridge lock.* Some of the marinas closed at 6:00 pm so most were wanting to get there before closing time.* You could here radio calls begging marinas to wait for them.* When the lock opened a large group of the boats took off lickety split.* All of a sudden their bows dropped, and went to no wake speed.* I wondered why until I saw a guy on a sail boat moored on shore.* He was holding a 12 ga. shotgun over his head.----------Worked for him!

Moonstruck wrote:

Mark, I don't know if you have ever cruised on the East coast.* There is a section of the ICW south of Norfolk that during rush hour there are several restricted bridge openings plus a lock and bridge at Great Bridge to get through.* Because of this, a large group of boats had gathered waiting for the Great Bridge lock.* Some of the marinas closed at 6:00 pm so most were wanting to get there before closing time.* You could here radio calls begging marinas to wait for them.* When the lock opened a large group of the boats took off lickety split.* All of a sudden their bows dropped, and went to no wake speed.* I wondered why until I saw a guy on a sail boat moored on shore.* He was holding a 12 ga. shotgun over his head.----------Worked for him!
The problem with trying to be a "bad ass" is the risk of someone else being a "badder" ass.* Brandishing a weapon could easily have resulted in one of the other boates bringing out a weapon.* At that point, there's a good chance that one would have fired his weapon, then the other.* A gunfight over percieved boat speeding.

One should never display a gun unless one is willing to use the gun and take a life.* It would have been appropriate to call the police on this guy.

rwidman wrote:

The problem with trying to be a "bad ass" is the risk of someone else being a "badder" ass.* Brandishing a weapon could easily have resulted in one of the other boates bringing out a weapon.*
Duh!* I've never carried a firearm aboard a boat (as long as you don't count a large-caliber flare gun), despite having several handguns and long guns at home.

on the war stories,* we were toodling out the Alameda Estauty, a fairly narrow long "channel" with a lot of traffic and a major shipping port at the end of it that opens into the SF Bay (sorry I don't know a better way to describe it).* It is a total free for all as you get to the port end;*ferries coming and going at high speed, sailboats tacking back and forth, power boats of every shape and size going at all speeds in and out.* You have to drive defensively and be prepared to turn to cut across wakes (PWCs are often out there looking for wakes to jump).* So through all this chaos here comes a MacGregor.* Are you familar with it?* Some sort of cross between a sailboat and a power boat that can go pretty fast with its big outboard.* They appear to be going at WOT and are oblivious to the wakes of other boats.* There appears to be a man driving and a woman up sitting on the foredeck.* They slammed into a MASSIVE wake and the boat started rocking madly back and forth.* My husband and I seriously thought the woman was going to be thrown from the boat.* They did not seem to know enough to turn across the wake but at least they slowed down a bit.* We were scared for them.* Not sure they had enough sense to be scared for themselves??

I can imagine, Jennifer, but it has been some 45 years since my*navigating that estuary.* Perhaps it wasn't so bad then when we harbored at Jack London Square (early 1960s).* In later years we operated from Richmond (later 1960s)*and then Pittsburg (1980s).

Pineapple Girl wrote:* Not sure they had enough sense to be scared for themselves??

Sounds like they had seen one too many boating ads, and succumbed to the hype.* We macho capts. do sail or cruise off into the sunset with our coiffed lady decorating the bow.* Don't we?* I might add that we never have to so much as soil our white slacks by doing any type of maintenance.* Boating is a purely carefree hobby.* Isn't it?
smile.gif

Why would boat manufacturers be pushing pod drives.* A couple of reasons-------It takes less time to install as there is no engine aligning to do.* Another reason is that it opens up a whole new market when they show a prospect how "easy" it is to operate the boat.* Once an unsuspecting prospect "parks" the boat by himself, he is hooked and is now a captain.

Of course there is no mention of what happens in a hard grounding, or anything negative.* Yes part of it is the industry's created problem.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

on the war stories,* we were toodling out the Alameda Estauty, a fairly narrow long "channel" with a lot of traffic and a major shipping port at the end of it that opens into the SF Bay (sorry I don't know a better way to describe it).* It is a total free for all as you get to the port end;*ferries coming and going at high speed, sailboats tacking back and forth, power boats of every shape and size going at all speeds in and out.*
Jennifer, you left out the rowing craft.* Or are they gone now?

Moonstruck wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:* Not sure they had enough sense to be scared for themselves??

Why would boat manufacturers be pushing pod drives.* A couple of reasons-------It takes less time to install as there is no engine aligning to do.* Another reason is that it opens up a whole new market when they show a prospect how "easy" it is to operate the boat.* Once an unsuspecting prospect "parks" the boat by himself, he is hooked and is now a captain.

Of course there is no mention of what happens in a hard grounding, or anything negative.* Yes part of it is the industry's created problem.

Moonstruck,

Aren't you being a bit hard on the boating industry?* The pods make it easier for everyone, even the Capt of the Queen Mary.

Besides I don't remember Cessna's learn to fly*advertising*bringing up*what happens when you crash.

JD wrote:Moonstruck,

Aren't you being a bit hard on the boating industry?* The pods make it easier for everyone, even the Capt of the Queen Mary.

Besides I don't remember Cessna's learn to fly*advertising*bringing up*what happens when you crash.

Yeah, you are right.* It was a little over the top.* Just trying to make the point that unlike in aircraft, responsibility is not being stressed.* Pilots have to go through mandatory training and pass FAA exams.* Mos boaters can register their boat and get out there with the rest of us.* As pointed out by Pineapple Girl, we have to deal with it.

I am a real estate developer, we don't point out what happens if there is a flood or a fire.* We do point out detection systems and how the work, along with floor elevations above flood level.* We*also point out items that will need maintenance over time.* Both purchases are not usually strictly business decisions.* Their are emotions that*affect the decision.**** Advertising plays into this.

Moonstruck wrote:

JD wrote:Moonstruck,

Yeah, you are right.* It was a little over the top.* Just trying to make the point that unlike in aircraft, responsibility is not being stressed.* Pilots have to go through mandatory training and pass FAA exams.* Mos boaters can register their boat and get out there with the rest of us.* As pointed out by Pineapple Girl, we have to deal with it.

I am a real estate developer, we don't point out what happens if there is a flood or a fire.* We do point out detection systems and how the work, along with floor elevations above flood level.* We*also point out items that will need maintenance over time.* Both purchases are not usually strictly business decisions.* Their are emotions that*affect the decision.**** Advertising plays into this.

Moonstruck,

May I have permission to*use you signature lines.* They are so true.*

Moonstruck wrote:

...* Mos boaters can register their boat and get out there with the rest of us...***

Washington and Oregon now have*Boating Safety Courses requirements.* Oregon is mandatory for anyone who operates a boat with a 15 hp or greater engine.* Washington State you can be grandfathered in based on age.* But it's start.

JD wrote:

Moonstruck,

There is no copyright on this.* The first line I heard.* The second line was original.* Like you, it just rang true to me.* Yeah,, maybe we could get the boat manufacturers to put it in their advertising----------NOT!!!!!
smile.gif

Moonstruck wrote:

JD wrote:

Moonstruck,

There is no copyright on this.* The first line I heard.* The second line was original.* Like you, it just rang true to me.* Yeah,, maybe we could get the boat manufacturers to put it in their advertising----------NOT!!!!!
smile.gif

Thanks.*

markpierce wrote:

Pineapple Girl wrote:It is a total free for all as you get to the port end;*ferries coming and going at high speed, sailboats tacking back and forth, power boats of every shape and size going at all speeds in and out.*
Jennifer, you left out the rowing craft.* Or are they gone now?

LOL no they are still around.* They don't usually go all the way to the end with the port*though and I don't recall any*being around during this incident.* There weren't any PWC this day either.* Another day, when we were on our way into the estuary,*there were so many PWC lurking at the opening waiting for wakes to jump that we felt*like Kevin Costner was going to show up any minute in his multihull with his jar of dirt. :p***

Moonstruck wrote:

As long as we are telling war stories, here's one. Nov. '08 crossing Lake Okeechobee E to W. While heading in the cut at Clewiston met a big sportfish East bound throwing a huge wake. We backed off, let the bow drop, and called the approaching boat. Several people on the flybridge in plain site. No answer and no slowing down. The channel is cut out of coral rock (think rock pile). They flew by us looking down on us like we were crazy or something. It is a wonder that we did not do about $50,000 damage to our boat. Happens to us, too. There is not much you can do with ignorance and arrogance. As has been said, you can't fix stupid!
What is the difference between most sportfishing boats and a porcupine?
Porcupines have pricks on the outside.

Ted

Larry M wrote:

Moonstruck wrote:

...* Mos boaters can register their boat and get out there with the rest of us...***

Washington and Oregon now have*Boating Safety Courses requirements.* Oregon is mandatory for anyone who operates a boat with a 15 hp or greater engine.* Washington State you can be grandfathered in based on age.* But it's start.

By the time the Washington law passed the legislature it was so watered down that it is*basically meaningless.

"While heading in the cut at Clewiston met a big sportfish East bound throwing a huge wake. We backed off, let the bow drop, and called the approaching boat. Several people on the flybridge in plain site. No answer and no slowing down."

This is where a WHITE FLAIR works!

They have no idea what it means, so might ask.

$50. for a flair vs a tow to the prop shop, you decide,

FF wrote:

"While heading in the cut at Clewiston met a big sportfish East bound throwing a huge wake. We backed off, let the bow drop, and called the approaching boat. Several people on the flybridge in plain site. No answer and no slowing down."

This is where a WHITE FLAIR works!

They have no idea what it means, so might ask.

$50. for a flair vs a tow to the prop shop, you decide,
What are you suggesting,* fire it in the air, at them what?

What does it mean?

rwidman wrote:

Well, that would be a "flare" not a "flair"
Flare -Flair it's all the same to FF.

But the question is what does firing either one off do for you?

And what is a white flare for in the first place?

JD wrote:

The purpose of a white flare is to caution an approaching vessel of your presence or to illuminate the immediate area.

JD wrote:

rwidman wrote:

In Arkansas a white flair is something like a lily>* A red flair is something like a rose

"In Arkansas a white flair is something like a lily ..."

In the rest of the South, white flares are used at night*to see the lilies and other flurs.

There is a commercial night vision device named after plants that flur only at nat.

-- Edited by RickB on Monday 27th of December 2010 01:24:41 PM

Moonstruck wrote:

JD wrote:

rwidman wrote:

In Arkansas a white flair is something like a lily>* A red flair is something like a rose

Got it.

LOOK! NOW!

ff wrote:

and what is a white flare for in the first place?

Look! Now!
practice

Back
Top Bottom