Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking Good Matt! Splash day just around the corner (in boat talk that is).

:speed boat:Matt me mate!

Love the way you have 1/2 used roll of TP for "head" designation purposes... guess that's so when you get dizzy from turning around on all the things you simultaneously accomplish you then have a bearing point for true north! Or something like that - LOL!

Keep it up bro. :thumb: You'll suddenly reach the short strokes on this glorious boat refurbishment project. If I hadn't seen this done with my own eyes I would have hard time believing a story like this. TY soooo much for continued picts and play by play descriptions! :socool:

Art :D

Hahaha yeh the toilet roll came in to work out placement and storage. It won't be mounted in the wardrobe locker lol.

Thanks for your continued support mate. You've been posting here since day one and I really do appreciate your advice and support both here and offline mate

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Looking Good Matt! Splash day just around the corner (in boat talk that is).

Yeh I was having a laugh with Flic the other day when she was telling the story of AXE to some lady we met. She was saying I told her it would only take 12months. My argument is that it I meant full time not just on weekends and after work. I added the hours up and I'm pretty close to the 12 month equivalent. Mind you, what I've done I certainly didn't account for when I started it. Was going to be a quick ply skin change, a quick paint then have a couple of years playing on it.

She's in a different class now tho

Went down to Freo on Saturday and had a look at the DUYFKEN replica. She was being restored near work.

We were speaking to a tour guide down there about axe and felicity was showing her pictures and the lady said she'd love to have me onboard helping as a volunteer. I chuckled and said I'd see what I could do.

The DUYFKEN has an interesting story, but what struck me as she wS built without plans lol.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884552.193157.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884568.477746.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884587.346203.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884604.898276.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884623.163811.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884645.385480.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884663.000552.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884687.671925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884707.007639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436884726.789463.jpg

Went down to Freo on Saturday and had a look at the DUYFKEN replica. She was being restored near work.

We were speaking to a tour guide down there about axe and felicity was showing her pictures and the lady said she'd love to have me onboard helping as a volunteer. I chuckled and said I'd see what I could do.

The DUYFKEN has an interesting story, but what struck me as she was built without plans lol.

You tooo were built without plans... and... look how good you turned out! :dance: :thumb:

Matt just a little inspiration for you. I got my wife a daughter out for a little fishing on the open ocean. Fish were biting...

Wow this beauty is looking good!!!!!!

Matt just a little inspiration for you. I got my wife a daughter out for a little fishing on the open ocean. Fish were biting...

Fwoar ... Look at those fish! That's awesome mate. What are they? ... Can't wait to get out and start fishing on AXE

Matt just keep working and you will be posting pictures to make us all jealous in no time. Those are a couple of 20 plus pound king salmon.

Matt just keep working and you will be posting pictures to make us all jealous in no time. Those are a couple of 20 plus pound king salmon.

G'day mate. Wow those salmon are some massive fish.

Do you use bait or lures?

I saw some show from Canada about salmon fishing where they strung a really long net on floats out across the lake and then ran the boat along the nets scaring them into the net.

Was some reality TV show but got boring after a while. I love watching Wicked Tuna now

Last edited:
Matt we use lures, fake squid (hoochies), and cut bait. We have opportunity's for catching Tuna here to. We will be heading out for tuna soon. I'll post some more inspiration for you when we get back. If you ever get to the Pacific Northwest Ill take you out to catch some salmon. Ill send you some links to our gopro movies when I get them edited if you like. Keep up the good work and you will have blood on your deck soon!

Oh yes please. I'd love to see some footage and I'll definitely look you up if I'm over there!

This afternoon saw thickened epoxy beginning to be troweled on and 50mm fillets going in.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052665.555734.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052678.784411.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052696.736490.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052713.120993.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052726.573836.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437052771.211744.jpg

Last edited:
This afternoon saw thickened epoxy beginning to be troweled on and 50mm fillets going in.
I am sooo impressed with your "determination and downright doggedness" you have shown on this project! If I had "half" the patience and commitment that you have......

Keep it up!

wow, looks so good as it takes on the basis of the final finish.

I am sooo impressed with your "determination and downright doggedness" you have shown on this project! If I had "half" the patience and commitment that you have......

Keep it up!

Wow thanks mate. So nice to hear.

It's hard to describe. In the early days it was a lot harder. Sanding and filing an upturned hull.

Many times I almost threw in the towel but determination got me through it.

Nowadays, it's different.

I've invested soooo much time and just about the same in dollars $$$ that I can't quit. Even if i wanted to I don't think I could walk away purely based on a financial loss.

I have my days and moments but seeing pictures of people's boats on here and stories of catching fish help me.

It mightn't seem like much but comments like yours help push me along, especially when I'm on a sander thinking about the support I've been getting and the kind words that people say about this.

Thanks again!

wow, looks so good as it takes on the basis of the final finish.

Thanks Bruce. It's an exciting time. Getting to this stage has seen a weird kind of feeling lifted of my shoulders. I mean I still have many months of sanding ahead of me but I'm relieved to have made it this far.

I have a lot of you to thank for that. If not for the messages of support and people pointing out potential issues like the hook in the hull which was the precursor for the hull extension and the ventilation issues then this project would be a flop

I can't thank you guys enough.

Ok so this afternoon I skim costed the port side. It's pretty cold here atm and with the winter rains set to be here for the next week, I'm not sure how much I'll get done as this will slow the curing processes down, pushing back the sanding but I'll keep on it and keep doing what I can. There's plenty of things to do haha.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437118246.769596.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437118261.170349.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. BK. "...basis of the final finish." Haven't been boating long have you? Not to throw water on the works but a boat is NEVER finished, only completed to the point of being usable. That being said, after 1880 posts, I suspect this is the longest running thread in the history of TF and rightly so. An EPIC journey from the humble beginnings of a keel and a few ribs to the magnificent structure we are now presented with in Mr. H's pictorial ongoing build-alogue. What the Axe team has accomplished thus far is nothing short of outstanding and truly commendable.

brc.gif

i am sooo impressed with your "determination and downright doggedness" you have shown on this project! If i had "half" the patience and commitment that you have......

Keep it up!

agree!!!!!!

Greetings,
Mr. BK. "...basis of the final finish." Haven't been boating long have you? Not to throw water on the works but a boat is NEVER finished, only completed to the point of being usable. That being said, after 1880 posts, I suspect this is the longest running thread in the history of TF and rightly so. An EPIC journey from the humble beginnings of a keel and a few ribs to the magnificent structure we are now presented with in Mr. H's pictorial ongoing build-alogue. What the Axe team has accomplished thus far is nothing short of outstanding and truly commendable.

brc.gif

RT I could not of said it better this is just so amazing to see it coming together

I want to fly down for the launch

In previous years… I've rebuilt portions of classic/antique houses. I've built grand masonry additions to new and old houses as well as in commercial projects. I've rebuilt portions of many wood boats while working at boat-yards in New England... back, when very young. I often do builds on cars and trucks for enjoyment. I consistently build on our properties' landscapes and buildings - in process of additions/improvements right now.

BUT - I have NEVER accomplished or seen the likes of Matt's sheer and utter determination for the detailed design occurrences he is self-providing along with Flic’s help to the creation of an entirely new craft. AXE is not a boat re-build, but rather, AXE is an entirely new creation from “The Mind-of-Matt”!

That might be a good title for boating mags to use when Matt’s project reaches Splash and then Fun-Time-Cruising. Because… after all… this project Matt is accomplishing is epic in the annals of wood boat building. There should certainly be well written articles/stories provided to the boating community so that other mariners outside TF get opportunity to really experience what all we TF members have been blessed to see from the very beginning.

Matt – You are a Star!

Last edited:
:iagree:

I couldn't agree more Art. This thread in fact is the one I look for first when logging in to TF.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom