View Single Post
Old 12-27-2010, 10:41 AM   #20
Baker
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Help! That last Christmas gift.

Oh man y'all are off on the wrong tangent!!! And sorry I didn't see this earlier. You get her a Sprint HTC EVO!!! It has a screen just as big as any of these other doodads. You can literally speak into it and it will take you to wherever you want to go....yeah....speech to text....just say "Navigate...3282 Smith street...Houston,TX" and the Nav program pops up and you are on your way. Or another way of doing it that lets you be involved....you can use "chrome to phone"...an app on your phone and your google chrome browser where you can bring up ANY website(in this case mapquest) on your desktop and simply hit ONE button and it sends that exact website to the phone in question. She can then navigate with mapquest right there on her phone....or she likely would be "asked" if she wanted to use one of TWO NAV SYSTEMS on the phone....Google's version or Sprint's....both very capable.....Google having the power of google behind it and since you are connected to the internet...possibilities are endless. That means you can direct her navigation from your home desktop if she got lost....EXACTLY your scenario here. A phone like the EVO has basically rendered stand alone Car nav systems obsolete. SO much so that Garmin is sniffing around in the cellphone business. Oh, and did I mention it does about 12,557,284,309 different things....and it is a phone....and a camera(8mp)....and a video camera(720p with HDMI out so you can view your content from your phone to your widescreen TV)....and a wifi mobile hotspot....and....and....and....

I can simply say, "Navigate to Walmart"...and since it has an internet connection and it is google powered and it knows my location it will bring up a list of Walmarts beginning with the nearest one...I select whichever one I want and I am on my way. IT IS THAT SIMPLE!

This "phone" is a ridiculously powerful device for about $450!...worth every penny. Obviously it is discounted with a contract with Sprint.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote