Taking the Plunge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Here's a picture of the channel right after you make a port turn, just favor STB. Unless there's a down pour it's real easy to do visually.
View attachment 41840
This picture wasn't taken on a nice day..

Thank you!

Yes, I have read that you should hug the red marker for sure. Didn't know they were still dredging.

Is it true that it's best to go in and out on slack tide of possible?

It doesn't really matter which tide.

They dredged it a while ago but it always backfills with the tides over time.

It doesn't really matter which tide.

They dredged it a while ago but it always backfills with the tides over time.

Noted and thanks!

wish you a safe and fun voyage

Here's a picture of the channel right after you make a port turn, just favor STB. Unless there's a down pour it's real easy to do visually.
View attachment 41840
This picture wasn't taken on a nice day..

Oliver, it has been several years since I ran in there, but I remember the channel as running much closer to the beach.

Yep, not too close but yes towards the beach. I've gotten to know the Bimini area pretty well now, thanks to my uncle. I've even ran it at night.

Made it to Bimini and having a great time! Our first crossing. Yes, only 46 miles but no one told us it was 2,500ft deep!!!!

Autopilot went out so I hand steered for 10 hours. Left at 3am. The Atlantic is darker than I thought that time of a morning. Was glad to see the sunrise.

That first drink upon arrival was the best I ever tasted!

Staying at Bimini Blue Water Marina. JR is the man and we feel right at home. $1.00 a ft is hard to beat here.

Throw money! I'm here all week! ?

BTW and just my newbie opinion - if you come to Bimini, don't pay the $80 bucks for a golf cart. You can drive the whole island end to end and back in 15 min!

We talked our Marina guy down to $20 bucks for an hour or so and still brought the cart back early.

There is really nothing to do on the island in N. Bimini. Save ur money for ice and go out in ur boat. That is where the fun is!

That is all

I could use some info on where to fish here in Bimini. I refuse to drift again and Rick running aground and I understand holding for anchoring is bad.

Hate to come over and not catch a single fish for the fanged freezer!

I could use some info on where to fish here in Bimini. I refuse to drift again and Rick running aground and I understand holding for anchoring is bad.

It's all fished out. You have to have specific numbers to get much.

You could try trolling the ledge, and maybe jig the yellow cans but that's about it.

Greetings,
Mr. frg. GREAT news. I'm happy for ya'll. Enjoy. Fishing? Right out in front mon. Fish the drop off. The reef is about 120' and drops to ??? (real deep) very, very fast. Fish this edge. Be warned, if you stray too far in from the edge, you'll spend all day unhooking barracuda.

FrGeorge, you can always troll over and back, and you can always go out to look for weed lines (the yellow Sargassum weed you see floating on the blue water). There could well be some dolphin (MahiMahi) hanging around. The little schoolies are a lot of fun. Some times some little blackfin tuna. Now, that would really be some fun.

Ask the marina if they can fix you up with a 3 or 4 trolling leaders. Just put the lines out, cruise around about 5 knots, and see what you can find. Enjoy. If the fish aren't around, it's still makes for a great day.

Happy to hear the crossing was successful! That's a big step you just made IMO-- more than I've done.

Congrats!

What type of fishing? have lots of suggestions in the area but do not want to bore you with types and area that your not interested in

by the way congrats on your crossing

Friar-great to hear the trip has started out on a high note! Enjoy the trip.

What type of fishing? have lots of suggestions in the area but do not want to bore you with types and area that your not interested in

by the way congrats on your crossing

Would love to catch snapper, dolphin and / or tuna. Anything good to eat is fine by me.

Just read all 27 pages lol. What an awesome story! Congratulations on your new life!! Wishing you fair winds, following seas and a mahi mahi on the end of your line!

This story was sort of a divine intervention to me. I was contemplating taking on a project boat despite all the good advice I got on here to run away lol. Something about your journey really help it "click" for me and we just walked away this morning. So thanks!

Would love to catch snapper, dolphin and / or tuna. Anything good to eat is fine by me.

Come out of Bimini cut and head south. Put your spread out as you clear the pass. Troll to the dark water and work that edge south. Keep an eye out west of you for birds and breaking fish. If you have a radar use it to find the birds. Find the birds you will find the fish.

We have caught marlin, tuna, dolphin, sails, wahoo, cobia and kings all within a mile of the beach. The west side of the gulfstream is right there and that combined with the ledge make Bimini a great fishing place.

For the bottom feeders, head to Cat Cay. Just north of Cat Cay is an area where you will see the commercial dive boats. Stay clear of the boats set up a drift in 90' using live bait. We have caught numerous LARGE mutton snapper in this area.

Also a great area to yellowtail. Need to anchor for that and have lots and lots of chum.

If you hit a school of Dauphin use 2 poles always leave one fish in the water while hooked or the school will run

Several times I hired a local for the day just for the knowledge negotiate the price down to half what the first quote is and then give them a tip at the end of the day if you go that route

Also bait prices very so shop around

Another thing I found is if your getting to many cudas move to a little bit shallower spot

Just read all 27 pages lol. What an awesome story! Congratulations on your new life!! Wishing you fair winds, following seas and a mahi mahi on the end of your line!

This story was sort of a divine intervention to me. I was contemplating taking on a project boat despite all the good advice I got on here to run away lol. Something about your journey really help it "click" for me and we just walked away this morning. So thanks!

Hi George - Just a side note here:

You used to preach at the podium... now you and boat and wife and dog give great sermons on/about living with the water (see last paragraph above). Things don't really change... they just appear too! :lol:

God knows your heart... (similar to as does your wife - lol)

Art - :speed boat:

...Come out of Bimini cut and head south. Put your spread out as you clear the pass. Troll to the dark water and work that edge south...

Good advice. This was Lena last month just north of Gun Cay at 9 am. Even Morgan had fish for dinner. :)

Attachments

• 014a.jpg
    014a.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 81
Hi George - Just a side note here:

You used to preach at the podium... now you and boat and wife and dog give great sermons on/about living with the water (see last paragraph above). Things don't really change... they just appear too! :lol:

God knows your heart... (similar to as does your wife - lol)

Art - :speed boat:

Well, I tell ya. We sure have been blessed and our short journey has already been more of a blessing than we could have asked for.

I am humbled that someone would read my ramblings and be inspired or moved. I guess it's true the Lord uses children and fools ( like me) to teach wisdom.

So grateful for all the comments and help along the way.

If you read this, and do begin a cruising life, I can tell you with all certainty that you will learn more, and meet more friends than you ever imagined would be possible! You will also heal your soul!

God Bless!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070072.767430.jpgbimini Blue Water is a great place to tie up here in Bimini. All Active Captain comments are pretty much spot on!

Couple more pics from Bimini.ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070633.377393.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437070654.594838.jpg

Good advice. This was Lena last month just north of Gun Cay at 9 am. Even Morgan had fish for dinner. :)

If she reeled that one it she worked for here dinner

Oh my word. That's what I'm talking about!!!!

Well, I tell ya. We sure have been blessed and our short journey has already been more of a blessing than we could have asked for.

I am humbled that someone would read my ramblings and be inspired or moved. I guess it's true the Lord uses children and fools ( like me) to teach wisdom.

So grateful for all the comments and help along the way.

If you read this, and do begin a cruising life, I can tell you with all certainty that you will learn more, and meet more friends than you ever imagined would be possible! You will also heal your soul!

God Bless!

Dear FG - You are way past the point of a guess! You are proof in da pudden!!

We made it back last Friday from Bimini. Sea was near glass and just beautiful. Once again the old girl ran like a Singer sewing machine; not a hiccup. The autopilot still refused to behave though so that moves to top of the list before we go back!

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1437441266.751577.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. frg. Congratulations on your first successful adventure which I'm sure will be the first of many. I can sense the accomplishment and happiness in your post. Hey, any fish?

FG - You and the Admiral and your pooch should be the poster family for newbie pleasure boaters!

Back
Top Bottom