New boat needs throne

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RT Firefly

Enigma
Greetings,
Bought a new day boat and need "facilities". My supplier suggests either a Jabsco 3710 or a Johnson Aqua T manual OR electric. Comments on either. Please limit comments to these 2/3 models please.

Back up a minute, you bought a new boat and didn't ask us first? What did you get? Post a picture.

Toilets, manual - the Johnson Aqua T appears to be a copy of the Jabsco 29090.
Not much to choose between them. The Jabsco will be easier to find parts for when you need them. A better manual toilet would be the Raritan PHII. Worth the extra money.

Toilets, electrical- The Jabsco 37010 is inexpensive, reasonably reliable, but noisy. It uses a rubber impeller intake pump located in the head. A better choice would be a Raritan Sea Era which uses a diaphragm supply pump that is quieter than a rubber impeller pump.

The Johnson Aqua T is more like the Jabsco Quiet Flush. Both use remotely mounted diaphragm supply pumps which makes them quieter. Another toilet in this class is the Raritan Sea Era with remote supply pump. The Raritan has a good reputation for reliability. The Jabsco and Raritan will be easier to get parts for.

I've had no first hand experience with the Johnson toilets. I have sold lots of both the Jabsco and Raritan toilets.

Raritan has a warehouse in Fort Lauderdale with very friendly knowledgable people. Jabsco has a friendly knowledgable distributor in Miami.

Where is the holding tank in relation to the head?

Greetings,
Bought a new day boat and need "facilities". My supplier suggests either a Jabsco 3710 or a Johnson Aqua T manual OR electric. Comments on either. Please limit comments to these 2/3 models please.

I don't have direct experience with the 37010, but other owners yammer on about them being loud. And then of course that sometimes means to them that all Jabsco toilets are loud.

I've heard the extra noise component on electric raw water versions (any brand) is because of the extra pump action required to bring in flush water... which seems reasonable, if compared to our freshwater system.

If you're intending electric, with a freshwater supply, I can say the Jabsco Quiet Flush (37045) works well and doesn't get the same bad rap as the 37010 (except from those who extrapolate to condemn the whole brand base don the 37010).

-Chris

Installed a Master Flush Orbit toilet last fall. So far it works great and is quiet, especially compared to the old Jabsco grinder that it replaced. Choice of fresh or salt water. Low flow. New Product - Orbit 7100 Series Toilet - Dometic

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Just for you...

00101_kdMIJmcKHAD_600x450.jpg

Nice RT. Will it live on the trailer or in the water? It's a lot of boat to trailer much.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Stay in the water for the most part. Out for winter. When are you in the store? I called earlier to order the 37010 you have on sale and a very nice young lady said you were still in the sack. Hmmmm...

giphy.gif

RT, You quack me up!
You can usually catch me in the store in the afternoons.
I like to say I'm semi-retired. One to six sounds like a good work day for me.

Greetings,

Am I the only person here who noticed that the boat in question is only 23'??? Any manual or electric marine toilet and holding tank big enough to be worth the time and cost to install, PLUS all the plumbing needed would use every inch of available storage on a boat that small. If I were you, I'd go with a self-contained system...i.e. an "MSD" portapotty ("MSD" in model name/number means it's designed to be permanently mounted and is fitted for pumpout). No moving parts, so no noise or toilet maintenance...doesn't need any power...You fill the flush water reservoir manually, so no plumbing except a vent and a pumpout line. A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gallon tank to hold that many from any "real" marine toilet. Both SeaLand and Thetford make 2-3 gallon and 5-6 gallon potties in both portable and "MSD" versions. If you opt for the smaller one, I'd go with portable, 'cuz that's just not enough volume to justify the price of a having it pumped out and a full tank only weighs about 20 lbs. But a full 5-6 gallon tank can weigh as much as 50 lbs, which is a bit much to carry off the boat and up a dock.

IF you have a head big enough for the 20"X20" tank footprint, you might want to consider the Sealand 711-M28 "Marine Traveler"...has a real china bowl (an RV gravity drop bowl on a short pedestal) mounted directly onto a 9 gallon holding tank...flushes like a VacuFlush--just step on the pedal...gets flush water from the boat's fresh water supply, same as any other "fresh water" marine toilet does. SeaLand no longer has a good picture of it on their site--at least not one I've been able to find...Defender does (sorry, Parks).

Those are my ideas, anyway...

Last edited:
Greetings,
Thanks all, including Ms. HM. I purchased the Jabsco 37010 from Mr. HC. Time will tell how big a mistake THAT was but I was under a strict time constraint and it has to be delivered by Friday (latest). Unfortunately, portable is NOT an option.

Greetings,
Thanks all, including Ms. HM. I purchased the Jabsco 37010 from Mr. HC. Time will tell how big a mistake THAT was but I was under a strict time constraint and it has to be delivered by Friday (latest). Unfortunately, portable is NOT an option.

Exactly where, except in recommending against a 2-3 gallon model, did I suggest a portable system?

Greetings,
Ms. PH. " If you opt for the smaller one, I'd go with portable, 'cuz that's just not enough volume to justify the price of a having it pumped out and a full tank only weighs about 20 lbs." Sounds like you were recommending FOR the 2-3 gallon model for ease of transport not AGAINST but it's all moot now. I'll go with what I've ordered mistake or not. We'll see.

Greetings,
Mr. HC. Just for you...

00101_kdMIJmcKHAD_600x450.jpg

RT,

We had a 1973 version of that boat we paid $2500.00 for in 1998. Ran like a dream and with the tunnel drive was exc. approaching the beach and anchoring in the Salt Pond on Block Island, RI. Is this one a tunnel drive? It served us very well.

Rob

the Sealand 711-M28 "Marine Traveler"..

Peggys call for this unit is spot on.

The reason it works is it uses the RV flush system , not the usual boat poop pump system.

Perhaps a pint of water per flush makes a 9 gal tank equal to a 40-60 gal tank with an old style sea water pump flush head.

Gravity requires no water to carry off the waste , only a bit to freshen the bowl.

A tip is to clean & dry the bowl, and spray it with PAM, for even less water use.

On a new build the RV style attached to a 60 gal holding tank would solve most pump out problems.

Last edited:
Am I the only person here who noticed that the boat in question is only 23'???

No, but RTF didn't reveal that until post #11... :)

FWIW, even though OBE for RTF's decision-making, we had a Traveler in our late '80s Mainship, and it worked well enough. IIRC, it had an 8-gallon capacity... but it was freshwater flush, and pumped out via deck fitting just like most common holding tank arrangements.

-Chris

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. D. YES, tunnel drive AND the patented Penn-Tone exhaust (ya gotta love it). As I said, I am under severe time constraints (no explanation will be given-sorry) and Ms. PH's suggestion came a bit too late so I'm locked in, as it were, to my purchase unless I can flog the brand new system and buy the "better" system. As has been mentioned VERY many times, all boats are a compromise.
The really weird part is I have yet to see the new (to me) vessel in person! Life is full of surprises and this will be one of them. Even picked out a new name "PY-jammas" although I'll have to float that one by the Admiral.

Rufus, You can return the Jabsco if you want to follow Peggie's suggestion.

Greetings,
Mr HC. Thanks but you gave me such a smokin' deal it would almost be a sin to return it...

omm.gif

Back
Top Bottom