Helmsman 43 seaworthy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jim Cooper

Vessel Name
Tuna Talk
Vessel Make
CC Tournament 30
anyone have experience with the Helmsman 43 at sea? Is her sea-keeping ability in the same class as Kadey-Krogen, Selene, Defever, Nordhavn or should she remain in port during snotty weather? Would plan to use her throughout the Caribbean and Central America so I anticipate some rough weather at times.

Jim

Given there are so few H 43s out there it would be difficult to offer much more than "looks" ok. I've been on several Helsmans and saw nice fit and finish. The other vessel brands you mentioned have hundreds of vessels each built and cruised during the past decades. For the price of a new H43 you could buy a very nice N47.

Are you happy with a common rail electronic Cummins 6.7 @ 250hp, in a new design and no get home in a very active lightning prone part of the world? Just a thought.

No experience with them but there is a Helmsman 38 at our marina and I believe it was bought for the Great Loop. It is a very nice looking boat with no exterior wood whatsoever. Don't think they are in the same category as Kadey-Krogen, Selene, Defever, and Nordhavn. One clue is if you go to the Helmsman web site and look at their options. When you don't see things like get home engines, stabilizers and water makers available as an option, that should be a clue they are coastal cruisers.

The helmsman boats are Coastal Cruisers. Their fuel capacity, weight, etc... puts them in the same seaworthyness class as any other Coastal Cruiser. That list would include boats like my Bayliner, and almost all of the Tiawan Trawlers, Grand Banks, Nordic Tug, etc...

That means they are safe operating along a coastline where they can use weather forecasts to their advantage.

The passagemakers you mentioned in your first post are survivable in peak seasonal conditions you could encounter during an ocean crossing where you do not have the capability to run from bad weather. They have the fuel, and construction robustness that supports extended ocean crossing conditions.

Great comments on the get home engine and options availabilities. I currently live in Bahamas and cruise/fish the islands off a 30' convertible sportfish so I am not that familiar with whether a coastal cruiser or ocean passagemaker is needed for the type cruising I am planning. Can a solid coastal cruiser, outfitted properly, meet the abilities of a passagemaker like the ones I mentioned? I just don't know if a true bluewater passagemaker is over-kill for island hopping the Caribbean and Central America coasts, albeit, I have seen scary conditions in the Bahamas so I am all about safety first!

Great comments on the get home engine and options availabilities. I currently live in Bahamas and cruise/fish the islands off a 30' convertible sportfish so I am not that familiar with whether a coastal cruiser or ocean passagemaker is needed for the type cruising I am planning. Can a solid coastal cruiser, outfitted properly, meet the abilities of a passagemaker like the ones I mentioned? I just don't know if a true bluewater passagemaker is over-kill for island hopping the Caribbean and Central America coasts, albeit, I have seen scary conditions in the Bahamas so I am all about safety first!

No they can't. That's why there are passage makers and coastal cruisers. For what your doing I'd be leaning toward a passage maker.

I would agree with Oliver.

If you already had a Coastal Cruiser I would have no issue with using it for your mission. It has been done using an assortment of Coastal Cruisers.

Since you are looking for a boat, and it appears you have sufficient budget, I'd be inclined to buy a passagemaker, which would be better suited for the job.

I have cruised the Bahamas and our N-47 is perfect for that, it's great for what we want plus it's capable of going Even farther which we plan on doing in the future.

OK, guys...passagemaker it is. Now, if I can only find that full beam saloon passagemaker builder!!!!

OK, guys...passagemaker it is. Now, if I can only find that full beam saloon passagemaker builder!!!!

Believe KK and Nordhavn make them. Ours has a side deck only the the stb side. Works out good for us, I like the room over the side decks.

There is a 2000 Selene 43' for sale at Harbortown in Ft Pierce with stabilizers, watermaker and fuel polishing but no get home engine.

You guys are great! Thanks for all the input. I think I should stay between the 42' to 46' LOA as I am mostly a single-handed captain. After 20 years of marriage and boating together, I still receive scowling looks from the boss, wine glass in hand, when I mention it is time for her to tend lines as we approach the dock! I fear anything larger than 46 may be too much to handle with her limited ability. The other factor is we will not have guests aboard a cruise that often so that size seems to work well.

Hey Donsan - Harbortown Marina on the north causeway or Harbortown Condos on the south causeway?

How many hours does your main have on it Oliver?

Back
Top Bottom