Any Treasure Coast trawlers want to go to the Bahamas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monk36

Vessel Name
Dot Calm
We live near Fort Pierce Fl on North hutchinson island.
I want to cruise our 32 foot single engine Island Gypsy from Stuart to West End, then cruise in the Sea of Abaco to hope town
My wife is afraid to make the crossing. Because we have only one engine and cruise at only eight knots, she would be more likely to make the trip if went with another slow trawler or two.

Anyone interested in a group trawler trip to the Bahamas?

Last edited:
We live near Fort Pierce Fl on North hutchinson island.
I want to cruise our 32 foot single engine Island Gypsy from Stuart to West End, then cruise in the Sea of Abaco to hope town
My wife is afraid to make the crossing. Because we have only one engine and cruise at only eight knots, she would be more likely to make the trip if went with another slow trawler or two.

Anyone interested in a group trawler trip to the Bahamas?

We're in Fort Pierce, but not going to the Bahamas this year. Why are you using St. Lucie Inlet when you have the first class Fort Pierce Inlet. We go on the Little Bahama Bank at White Sand Ridge then direct to Green Turtle. You could stopover at Great Sale Cay. It would be a very long day, but the Bank is easy to run at night. Just a suggestion. We really don't care for Grand Bahama Island.

West End is a nice stop. You'll be fine by yoursleves. Here's what I'd do
West end to Great Sale (anchor for night)
Great Sale to Green Turtle

Then you're in the door and everything is within half a day of crushing range in relatively protected waters.

Thanks for the advice. BUT my wife, the real Captain, is afraid to go without another boat or two, thus I am hoping to find another boat or two that cruises under ten knots:)

Sounds like a good plan you gave me.

I don't care of Grand Bahama Island either. Good advice.
I LOVE Fort Pierce inlet as well. Just thought it was faster from Stuart.
We ran to the Marriott Hutchinson Island Marina this weekend from Fort Pierce. Flat as a pancake. Nice way to get the wife used to the outside. Baby steps:)

Keep in mind that Don (Moonstruck) is not bothered by little things like the Gulf Stream. It has a bit more effect on mortals like you and me. I prefer to go with it then against it.

Heck go out of Government Cut in Miami and even if the engine quits you will nearly make it to the Bahamas with only a slight delay.

Have you made the trip? Are there any trawler clubs in South Florida that you know of that plan trips like this?

Have you made the trip? Are there any trawler clubs in South Florida that you know of that plan trips like this?

Yes many times. Not that I know of.

Tell your wife that's there's someone behind you going slower following you. :D

Really convince her you have towing insurance for a reason.

I just learned my insurance company, Seaworthy, will not cover my trawler if I travel outside the USA territorial waters because I only have one engine. I am really bummed.
It was hard enough to get regular coverage from a carrier because my boat was made in 1982. Anybody have similar experiences and advice on where else to look for coverage that will allow a single screw to travel from FL to the Bahamas?

I am not sure if they still do it but in summer they use to have a crossing every few days sponsored by the Bahamas tourist board I think it was

the first time we went was late July and we followed a group of other slow boats the lead captain

The Captain kept us informed on the crossing on a off channel VHF

If you are going to West End, you may try to go down to hang out around Palm Beach inlet. Many times there are boats there before an early crossing. They are usually around Peanut Island or in the anchorage just south of the inlet.

It's a good place to hole up to wait for a weather window. Just get on the radio and ask for boats planning the crossing. Most like company.

60 miles from Ft. Pierce inlet to White Sand Ridge.:facepalm:

I just learned my insurance company, Seaworthy, will not cover my trawler if I travel outside the USA territorial waters because I only have one engine. I am really bummed.
It was hard enough to get regular coverage from a carrier because my boat was made in 1982. Anybody have similar experiences and advice on where else to look for coverage that will allow a single screw to travel from FL to the Bahamas?

I think you aren't looking for good marine insurance companies.

1982 isn't that old and they put so much into surveys...ramrod that back up their butts......

If at wits end....risk manage....but I still think you can get reasonable insurance (see other thread).

Self insure when over there. Many years ago I had a dock mate who sailed back and forth to Europe every couple of years. When he told me about the astronomical insurance premiums...I asked how did he afford them. He laughed and pulled 2 trash pumps out of is cockpit lockers. He said when the insurance costs as much as the boat...what good is it?

Know youself...know your boat....are you willing to accept some risk for your pleasure?

In 40+ years of boating I haven't had a boat sink...I would gamble that 6 weeks in the Bahamas, staying aboard and being extra vigilant would satisfy me.

But then again I have insurance for cheap that covers me over there...:D

PM me for my broker if you wish.

Last edited:
Tell your wife that you can sail anywhere on the planet and be no further then 7 miles away from land.

This should make her feel better and it is true!

We will be moving Barefoot Key to the area soon, 40 ft marine trader, would like to make the crossing next spring with company. Let's keep it in mind!

But...but....but...the ocean floor is not 'land' until it rises above the sea level. Am I missing something here or are we just trying to fool the spouses?

For a slow boat, with a nervous wife, the best move IMO, is to go down to Lake Worth and cross straight to West End. Then go on to Great Sale or Double Breasted, then Allen's PCola, then GTC. Much easier to take it in chunks.

For us at 15 knots and with many crossings under our belt, we go straight from St. Lucie to White Sand Ridge then on to Grand in one day. We clear in Grand spend a night or two then take our time working South.

On the way back we go down to West End, spend the night, fuel up (Cheapest fuel in the area) and use the stream to push us north to St. Lucie Inlet. It takes the same amount of time as going from West End to Lake Worth.

The banks West of Grand can get pretty darn snotty. Sometimes worse then the stream. It's shallow but still open water. Probably not the best move for a nervous first timer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom