Wife birthday trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
St George Island is an awesome spot. We went there about 10 years ago on a family vacation. I remember eating oysters in Apalachicola.

That's a definite possibility. Thanks.

St. George Is. about 3 weeks ago. Note the waterspout in the 1st picture , we watched it for at lease 30 minutes, never did come ashore.

Attachments

• IMGP1218.jpg
    IMGP1218.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMGP1192.jpg
    IMGP1192.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 66
Thanks for all the great ideas.
Keep 'em coming!

Marin,

Wife thought Renion Island sounded interesting. When she googled it this was one of the first things she saw.

‘Shark Island': Reunion Searches For Ways To Separate Sharks And Surfers

Don't know anything about that. So I have no idea if there are a lot of sharks there or not or what they are or are not doing. However, as places become more popular with tourists and more and more people are doing things like surfing that put them in proximity to creatures like sharks I don't find it at all surprising that more attacks occur. Put more and more people in proximity to bears and more and more bear encounters occur. I don't find the fault in either case to be with the animals.

I grew up n Hawaii and there were (and I assume still are) sharks of all flavors-- hammerhead, tiger, etc.-- all over the place all the time. I did aerial fish spotting for a group of commercial fisherman for awhile-- found the fish and then went back when their boat was there and guided their dropping and pulling the net around the school. Some of this was in Kaneohe Bay which is one of the world's major breeding grounds for hammerheads. There would be times I would be doing this and a monster hammerhead would approach the boat and the people in the water, I suppose out of curiosity. I'd tell the guys about the shark and where it was and they never seemed concerned about it.

The station's helicopter pilot told me about how huge schools of sharks would hang out in the outflow from the big Hawaiian Electric plant out by Barbers Point. The outflow water was warmer than the seawater and the sharks seemed to like it for some reason. The next opportunity I had I flew over there to take a look. Sure enough there were hundreds of big sharks all holding in the outflow. A hundred yards away was one of the prime surfing spots on the south side of the island. I have no idea if the surfers knew about the presence of this mass of sharks right next to them or not, but so far as I can recall there were never any attacks there during my time over there.

Growing up there as a kid and then in my twenties doing a lot of ocean fishing there I became very familiar with the animals that lived around us in the water. And while it never deterred me from splashing around in the water near shore at the beach with my friends, I developed my own philosophy about doing stuff in the ocean. And that is this: The ocean is full of animals with really big teeth. They don't come out and bother me, so I won't go in and bother them.

Reunion is a remarkable island. In a way it's a mini-Hawaii. A lot of the plants and trees are the same as what I grew up with, and a lot of the birds. They have different names, of course. There is an active volcano at one end of the island and the island's volcanic heritage has given it a remarkable geography, more so in my opinion than the islands in Hawaii with the possible exception of Molokai.

Another set of islands we worked on are the Seychelles. If it's beaches you like, the Seychelles have better ones and many more of them than Reunion. I have no idea about the surfing-- I don't recall seeing anyone doing that while we were shooting there. However while we did have the opportunity to visit a couple of the islands and do some "local color" shooting for a couple of days we were working primarily with the airline so did not see near as much as we did on Reunion where our whole reason for being there was to shoot everything of interest on the island.

When we were there the climate on Reunion was very similar to that of Hawaii. Reunion is more or less as far below the equator as Hawaii is above it. The Seychelles, however, are considerably hotter, at least in our experience.

Last edited:
Very interesting information. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom