Possible Employment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dtigga

I am looking for a job in the marine industry in the Boston area. Have every little experience in the industry, however, I did grow up around boats in Minnesota and I have plenty of experience in manual work, administrative, and service. I am a 25 year old grad student, graduating in May. Would love any direction or advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Dean.

grad student, really??? The boat industry is a genteel way to go broke.. Now if you had an oceanography degree Woods Hole Institute might be a possibility.

Thee are some remaining ship builders in the area including Electric Boat in Groton CT.

Ha! That's what I've heard! But, what can I say, I love the sea and I want to make it my life. Unfortunately my degree is not in oceanography...thanks for the advice though! I've been handing out resumes left and right at different dealerships and docks around the Boston area hoping to get a position where I can grown my knowledge in general. It's been a challenge so far though.

Good luck. You'll need it.

I am looking for a job in the marine industry in the Boston area. Have every little experience in the industry, however, I did grow up around boats in Minnesota and I have plenty of experience in manual work, administrative, and service. I am a 25 year old grad student, graduating in May. Would love any direction or advice anyone has to offer.

Thanks,

Dean.

Why? What? What is it you see yourself doing in the industry? What are your degrees going to be in?

Ha! That's what I've heard! But, what can I say, I love the sea and I want to make it my life. Unfortunately my degree is not in oceanography...thanks for the advice though! I've been handing out resumes left and right at different dealerships and docks around the Boston area hoping to get a position where I can grown my knowledge in general. It's been a challenge so far though.

Narrow it down. What are you looking to do in the marine industry?

My job as an assistance tower is open in December....:D

If your looking for a bit of adventure get your stcw 95 and head for Ft Lauderdale. A friends son graduated college with a bad case of wanderlust and followed that track. Crewed around as a deckie for a couple years and now is a surf instructor in Costa Rica. No regrets.

If your looking for a bit of adventure get your stcw 95 and head for Ft Lauderdale. A friends son graduated college with a bad case of wanderlust and followed that track. Crewed around as a deckie for a couple years and now is a surf instructor in Costa Rica. No regrets.

Ain't that the truth a lot of the stuff in the marine industry can't be learn't in a class room.

As others have asked, and I apologize if I've missed it, what is your field of study?

Why is it you want to do in the industry?
Sell boats, work on/build/repair them, sail as a merchant mariner? Please provide more detail.
Thanks.

OD

As others have asked, and I apologize if I've missed it, what is your field of study?

Why is it you want to do in the industry?
Sell boats, work on/build/repair them, sail as a merchant mariner? Please provide more detail.
Thanks.

OD

I've been studying religion and psychology. I know....completely unrelated to the industry. I want to eventually get into brokerage, first though I need to build my knowledge. That's why right now I am looking for entry level positions. At a dealer or builder would be ideal however unlikely, so I am working on trying to find anything. I'm thinking that a marina or dock in the Area just needing general yard/dock hands is looking most likely. I'm a 6'4 200 lbs guy so I'm not worried about doing work and getting a little dirty if it gets me closer to my goal. I do think my studies and experience will help me along the way however, especially in building relationships geared towards the clients satisfaction. I believe those require them trusting in me which requires integrity and knowledge. I am working on gaining and keeping both everyday.

There are a lot of ferries and tour boats in that area. maybe they need deck hands.

Not on the selling side and reportedly very hard to get into is the port pilot business. Always local and high pay.
Tug companies are a thought too.

IMO the commercial side of the business will be better as a career than the retail side.

If brokerage is your goal then I'd aim in that direction, not just indiscriminately in the industry. Now, I do think some basic captain skills are good for a broker as well as developing all the knowledge possible about boats. But with your education you should be able to start out on the broker side of things, assisting in some way, working in showing boats for brokers, or just come form of customer service.

Unless planning on owning a marine business or going into sales...not much money and little advancement abounds.

I suggest entry level merchant mariner positions....advancement and pay are there.

Diesel mechs do well after gaining a lot of experience too.

Merchant marine jobs aren't always on "boats"...but you are on the water and it can provide adventure if that's in your spirit.

Last edited:
Things you should know.

In the future you wont want to spend extended periods away from home, at sea.

A key to future success is a career where it is possible to earn money based on not just your efforts but those of others. Owning a business and management positions are examples. Individual sales is much more difficult.

Be where you want to be by age 40 because opportunities for big change are often reduced after that.

Things you should know.

In the future you wont want to spend extended periods away from home, at sea.

A key to future success is a career where it is possible to earn money based on not just your efforts but those of others. Owning a business and management positions are examples. Individual sales is much more difficult.

Be where you want to be by age 40 because opportunities for big change are often reduced after that.

Depends on the person.....

This reminds me of the bumper sticker:
I'd rather be Sailing!​
To which I reply, "not really - otherwise you'd be Sailing". But the sticker owner would rather have a job, raise a family, and - on the weekends or whenever - go sailing (or hang-gliding, et cetera).

In my opinion, the best way to get on the water is on your own terms, which means having your own boat - and earning your living elsewhere.

Walk around the various boat/ship/repair yards but do your homework first. Talk to the owners/yard managers and tell them what you want to do. Sell your self. You may start off pressure washing/sanding or painting bottoms for not much more than minimum wage but you have to start somewhere. Build your connections and experience. If it's what you really want to do, with the right attitude, you'll succeed.

Working on boats or working at sea is really pretty miserable. It may seem glorious and fun, but once it is your job it really sucks.

Be real sure about things before you throw away the investment in those college tickets.

When growing up in the 80's, I worked in an outboard shop after classes. One mechanic there worked part time and also had graduate degrees in I think anthropology. He taught part time in his field, and just liked fixing engines. He was very good at engines, too.

This guy had a unique skill in that he came in dressed in Khakis and a nice clean shirt. And left still clean!!! He got as much work done as the rest of us, too.

I left looking like I rolled around in a shrimp boat bilge.

I think he had it figured out, on many levels. Happy dude, too. Never bitched.

Last edited:
I appreciate all the advice and words of wisdom from everyone!

I have put a lot of thought into this actually, and I am aware it's not all glitz and glamor.

In my thought processes I have asked myself three questions in this order: Why? How? And what?
I don't know if any of you are familiar with Simon Sinek ( a smart guy in the industry actually turned me onto him) but that basically comes right from him.
So why do I want to get into the industry?
I love boats the sea and everything that goes with it. It brings me joy, the feeling I get when I see a beautiful boat or yacht, that is a feeling that I know others get including yourselves. I want to be able to provide that feeling for people. I want to be able to provide joy and happiness to possible future clients. I also want to be someone people trust in especially those seeking to buy and sell yachts. How do I intend to do this? Well by adding actual knowledge to the existing qualities I believe I already posses and building relationships as a lot of you have already talked about. That relational aspect is important for me, especially given my background, relationships and individuals were huge in my formation and a mission for my life. Finally the question of what? This question in a way gets answered through why and how, but, simply the position of broker is the what, and the individual hoping to buy or sell will simply work with me because of what I stated before. I don't mean to come off as arrogant saying it like that. But that is my goal. That is the "what" that I hope to reach.
I know this is all theoretical right now but for me I have to come up with a theory and a plan before I can actually do something so this is that.

Dean.

Last edited:
Doesn't the Navy hire Chaplains? Would your masters in theology qualify you for that?

Go take a few AYBC courses or check out the Landing School. It may show potential employers that you are serious.

Not in the boating industry, but seriously considered it 20 years ago.

I know this is all theoretical right now but for me I have to come up with a theory and a plan before I can actually do something so this is that.

Dean.

I'm going to answer this from the viewpoint of an employer and I hope it does serve as useful advice.

First, what was your college major? Why did you study religion and psychology in grad school?

Here would be my concern. Why hire you when you can't make up your mind what you want to do, going to grad school even with no profession in mind.

Now, personally, I do think we push young people to decide on their life pursuit before they have the knowledge to do so. Still I'm not at all convinced just reading this that you'll stick with a plan. You mention needing a theory and plan. I'd say you need the right theory and plan for you and then you need to actually start executing it.

You talk about building your knowledge and then getting into a brokerage. Seems to me you've built a lot of knowledge so far and not using any of it. Do you know what it's like to work as a salesman in a brokerage? How long as a new salesman can you and are you willing to go with no sales and commission? Selling small boats for a lake is one thing, but selling larger boats in a coastal brokerage is much like real estate. There are a lot of dry periods, plus it's very difficult when new to compete with the brokers who are established and know everyone. The real money, just as in real estate, requires listings too. Half of the average broker's income is listing, not selling.

Do you know what the average broker makes? Not a lot. Successful make very good money. Average makes decent. But for every successful broker, there are many who aren't successful. What sales experience do you have? As a new broker you're dependent on walk in or call in traffic and that's a very small piece of the market. Now once you gather information on brokering, then if that's what you really want to do, set a plan specifically for that.

You say "I'm thinking that a marina or dock in the Area just needing general yard/dock hands is looking most likely." That's a college kid taking a summer job. That's not someone serious about being a broker. That's just wanting to be around the water. It's also not the sound of a very ambitious person. 5 to 6, maybe 7 years of college and you're talking about taking a job as a dock hand or yard man. Why am I making a point of this? Brokers, like any good sales people, must be ambitious to be successful. They must be driven to make sales. It's a competitive, performance rewarding business. In hiring someone into it, one would typically be looking for hunger...people hungry for success, for money.

If you want to get experience that might one day lead to brokering then get it in a field that you can grow in. As an example, you could go to Maritime School, get a job on a yacht as a deck hand, targeting becoming a captain. Actually easier to break in through the commercial route for many. But that takes time too. You need 360 sea days for a 6 pack and 720 sea days for a Master. Are you willing to commit 5 years to that pursuit?

If there's any aspect you'd prefer to discuss privately, message me.

In passing out resumes at dealerships and docks, I can tell you the first thought people get if they even look at them. "Overqualified." I assume you'll have a Master's when you graduate. They look and say, "Why is someone with a Master's applying for a job on a dock." Further thought, "he's desperate but as soon as he can find a better job, he's gone." I don't know what your cover letter says, but if it says dock job to build knowledge to be a broker, many businesses shy away from being used as a stepping stone.

With all your education have you gotten any professional career counseling, including testing of your likes and dislikes, aptitude, to help you determine what you'd really like to do? If not, I'd strongly recommend it. One place it can be excellent if you answer honestly is telling you if you're cut out for sales. You may well be a future sales star. I don't know. I'd just say you've done a lot of vacillating career wise and direction wise and it could be very helpful. You mention experience in manual work, administration and service. Three entirely different directions. Now, I recognize some may have been summer or afternoon jobs, but the question is which is right for you.

Now, I never believe education or the pursuit of knowledge is a waste, so I don't agree with the philosophy of many. But you go for a dock job or even an entry sales assistant of some sort and the reaction of many will be that you've either wasted your time getting the education or you're now wasting the education. You need a real understanding of how you've gotten to this point and then where you want to go. Then whatever you do can be directed toward that.

I do wish you the best of luck.

Greetings,
Mr. dt. Let me guess. You were awarded a sports scholarship and took bird courses to remain on the team. Seriously? Religion and psychology? Mr. BB pegged the situation exactly "...where you want to go..."
Start a career in tel-evangalism.

....I also want to be someone people trust in especially those seeking to buy and sell yachts. ...

Dean: Go on line and look at the qualifications of individual brokers. They usually post their resumes. How much time do you want to invest to be a successful broker? I admire your dream but ... Here's an example of a local broker's resume.

Growing up in Scituate, MA, T.... started a boat cleaning service at age 14 to pay for gas for his own boat. After attending Boston College. T..... was captain on many commercial vessels, including passenger, oceanographic research and oil exploration vessels, he then went on to private yachts. In between some of his sea time, T.... got involved in boat sales, starting full-time in 1984, working in new boat sales and brokerage. After returning to Florida in 1992, he started a business specializing in instruction for boat owners and continues to offer this service to his clients and their crews.

In April 2008, T.... received his designation as a Certified Professional Yacht Broker. This is part of a program affiliated with all of the major yacht brokerage associations in the US to increase professionalism in the industry and to show prospective buyers and sellers that a certified broker has achieved a level of professionalism and knowledge recognized by his peers. Currently in the US there are only 500 brokers who have achieved the designation of CPYB.

I'm the same age as you. No masters degree; just a BA in political science.

I work in the marine industry as a cruising guide editor. I was in the right place at the right time to get the job. The summer after I graduated from college I took a 22' boat from Anacortes to Glacier Bay and back. Along the way I was put in touch with the guy who had recently purchased a well known boating guidebook for the area and he offered me a job based on my summer travels.

The money isn't great but I love the lifestyle. I'm currently on my boat in Port McNeill after guiding a group of boats to Ketchikan, then exploring Haida Gwaii and transiting the Central Coast of B.C. I'll be boating until after Labor Day. My summers are spent the same way I'd spend them if I didn't have to work.

Are there bad days? Sure, but it's mostly good. And it's really rewarding to hear from happy readers and to see the book that I update each year aboard just about every boat cruising these waters.

That said, the marine industry can be tough. Many of the mechanics, marina operators, brokers, and others rarely get out on boats. In economic downturns the boating industry usually gets hit particularly hard. The industry seems "cliquey" to me. And everyone seems to love to hate brokers.

Around here there are lots of young people that work as deckhands/naturalists on whale watching boats and charter boats. They get out on the water frequently but have to deal with sometimes difficult guests. If you're well spoken and patient perhaps that's a way for you to get on the water.

To learn to be a broker, I think one should first learn how to sell used cars. Then buy some boat shoes, or maybe steal some like Oliver....

And you're there!!

I spent about 10 months as a broker one year. I went back to IT.

I suggest you get into a well paying career and then buy yourself a boat. Even then you won't be able to use it that often. But definitely more than most of the people in the marine industry during the season. Off season, the water is frozen and you starve. Or you move to Florida where there is no off season.

Brokerage has little to do with boats - it's all about selling. Are you a good salesman? Like used car salesman good? Do you like driving? Do you like arguing? Do you like talking on cell phones all day and all night? Do you like browbeating customers into buying more than they can afford just so the 'pyramid' you built doesn't collapse when someone in the middle gets cold feet?

The guy who owned the brokerage I worked at could sell ice cubes to Eskimos. - he just couldn't deliver snow in Alaska. He is out of jail now and is back in the used car industry where his talents are appreciated.

Yacht brokerage is like selling real estate - with the possibility of drowning.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

This guy had a unique skill in that he came in dressed in Khakis and a nice clean shirt. And left still clean!!! He got as much work done as the rest of us, too.

I left looking like I rolled around in a shrimp boat bilge.

I think he had it figured out, on many levels. Happy dude, too. Never bitched.

I miss my mechanic that was like that. He would always leave the boat cleaner than he found it. He always looked neat, but was one of the best diesel mechanics I've ever met. I, on the other hand, probably looked very similar to what Ski described. I can't figure out how they do it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom