Wife birthday trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cardude01

Guru
Vessel Name
Bijou
Vessel Make
2008 Island Packet PY/SP
I'm trying to find an interesting place to take my wife (and the kids-- boys 16 and 18)) for her birthday this August.

Thinking about the Caribbean maybe. We have been to Sint Martin but that's it. Her only requirements are clear water and a nice beach she can lay out on and relax.

Any interesting islands y'all have been to we can fly to? Not taking the boat. ??? (need to make up for my crappy boat trip).

What about St John?

Rarotonga- east to get to (TX to LAX, LAX to Raro), no cruise ships, extremely low crime, English is the official language, and beaches for days.

Cook Islands Tourism | Cook Islands | Rarotonga

Here's where we stayed:
Home

No fancy amenities, the beach and lagoon are 50 steps away, beautiful sunsets, and the 3rd best beach bar in the world. Perfect.

Wow. That sounds exotic. Let me see if I can afford it...

Treasure Cay, and Staniel Cay would be my votes.

Rarotonga- east to get to (TX to LAX, LAX to Raro), no cruise ships, extremely low crime, English is the official language, and beaches for days.

Cook Islands Tourism | Cook Islands | Rarotonga

Here's where we stayed:
Home

No fancy amenities, the beach and lagoon are 50 steps away, beautiful sunsets, and the 3rd best beach bar in the world. Perfect.

That's on my hit list once I get the old gal into the Pacific Ocean. So many beautiful islands and atolls over in the SouthPac.

Many years back there were flights from Sydney. These days I think you get there via New Zealand. If you go, try to spend some time on Aitutaki, with its magnificent lagoon and laid back style. You get fresh bread every day there, one baker was 7th Day Adventist, the other was Catholic, it`s that kind of place.

Good stuff so far but lets narrow it down. How long a flight and/or how many time zones do you want to travel?

Yeah. Not that many. That's why I was thinking Caribbean. Something easy.

Wife said no boats! ??

Last edited:
If you want away from mega resorts I would add Las Terrenas, Dominican Republic to the list of possibilities. Great beaches, lots of expats from around the world, and a newer intl airport close by. And reasonably priced still.

Kevin
Portland, OR

Reunion Island. I produced and directed a film promoting Reunion as a tourist destination to the Indian Ocean rim countries for their airline, Air Austral. Fascinating place.

Last edited:
Maybe little out of you way but we love Lord Howe Island 2 hours flight off Sydney Just Saying ;)

side-destination-001.jpeg

Thanks for the reminder car dude, and the suggestion Pau Hana.

One of those on the list is just an hour's cruise for me. The Star of Greece Cafe.
I'm going to make a booking for my wife's upcoming birthday before I forget. (again) :facepalm:

Sorry Cardude- I don't have any suggestions for your part of the world, but it sounds like you'll have to wait until your birthday to boat to your destination.

East coast? August? My choices would be the Canadian maritimes (Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton/Nova Scotia, New Brunswick. We just got back from two weeks up there and its fantastic, a totally different scene than what the OP is used to. Plenty of things for wife and kids to do and see. Lots of music festivals and events, including a big one on the north side of PEI. Some great beaches too; the water is fairly warm up there due to the way the currents run.... they say the warmest north of the Carolinas.

Highest recommendation.

We've picked some of our best winter vacations by looking first at airline schedules. Who flies non-stop from here to someplace? (Sometimes complicated only a little by focusing on the airline I can get free flights with, at the time.)

Of those, which someplace seems nicest. (Sometimes complicated by focusing on which hotel chain I can get free rooms with, at the time.)

Manage costs. Pick. Go.

-Chris

Thanks for all the great ideas.
Keep 'em coming!

Marin,

Wife thought Renion Island sounded interesting. When she googled it this was one of the first things she saw.

http://www.inquisitr.com/2246022/sh...ches-for-ways-to-separate-sharks-and-surfers/

I surf and understand sharks are out there, everywhere, but there sure is a lot of bad press about shark attacks at this island. Some say the the reason is the French gov banned the selling of Bull and Tiger shark meat in 1999 and now Bull sharks have infested the island? Could all be BS.

Did you encounter any of this on your photo shoot, or was it before all this developed?

Last edited:
Bill: After careful analysis and discussion with other TF members, we got to thinking about what a boat owner's wife really could enjoy for her Birthday, not necessarily private or secluded, but definitely as she indicated...."no boats". Isn't there a Chippendale's near you?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 219
That would definitely be easier Larry.

?????

Look up Akumal on the Yucatan Pen. About 80 clicks south of Cancun. In a limited development zone, great beach on a small bay with a barrier reef to break the swell. Freshwater to salt lagoon to snorkel walking distance. You can rent a condo for a week and a car to drive down from Cancun. Lots of things to do in the area. I first went there in the late '70's and then again in the late '90's...not much changed relative to the development further north. I came really close to buying a condo there.

St. George Island, Florida. White sand beach, house rentals right on the beach, best beach on the Gulf Coast. No golf courses, water slides, no buildings taller than 3 stories. Big time relaxation.

St. George Island, Florida. White sand beach, house rentals right on the beach, best beach on the Gulf Coast. No golf courses, water slides, no buildings taller than 3 stories. Big time relaxation.

That's a good place Bill could drive there. There are a couple of restaurants on the island, but the oysters at East Point are great. Applichicola is just a short drive with some great restaurants. Definitely laid back, and all about the beach. My sister goes there almost every year.

St. George Island - St. George Island Visitor Center located on St. George Island, Florida

Back
Top Bottom