Extractor tube broke off in oil pan!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, that darn broken tube was driving me nuts... call it obsessive compulsive disorder but I went ahead and had the engine removed. In addition to dropping the pan and replacing the gasket, I replaced the original circulation pump and thermostat. I figured it was best to do it now while the engine was out because I am unable to remove these parts with the engine in (no clearance). I also replaced the exhaust riser.

My wife said I wasn't going to relax on our next long trip--she knows me well!

Smart move, I would too.

Did you recover the offending object? Where was it?

Did you recover the offending object? Where was it?

I did; it was located at the bottom of the pan. Would it have caused a problem? Probably not--at least not in the short term I believe. I couldn't dismiss images of degrading pieces of plastic tubing clogging the pickup screen. Oh well...

The riser was showing signs of "atherosclerosis" and replacing the original circulation pump and thermostat was simply preventative maintenance. Also, I painted the bilge and had the valve clearance checked/adjusted.

Great news . I know it was a lot of work but now you can move on.

I guess I would have done the same thing, but I'd have been cussing the whole time. Well, at least you got a clean bilge to show for it.

I hope you took the opportunity after all that time, money, and trouble, to obviate the possibility of it happening again, by having one of those nifty oil draining attachments put in the sump pan to allow oil changing without sticking a suction line into the dipstick…tell me you did…please...

I hope you took the opportunity after all that time, money, and trouble, to obviate the possibility of it happening again, by having one of those nifty oil draining attachments put in the sump pan to allow oil changing without sticking a suction line into the dipstick…tell me you did…please...

Trust me, no hose is EVER going inside my engine! Instead of using the dipstick tube, I will be using the engine's oil draining pipe instead, which is connected directly to the bottom of the oil pan (see schematic). I have a larger diameter extractor hose that fits around (not inside) the draining pipe--nothing goes inside now.

In hindsight, I should have done it this way; but I've never had a extraction tube break off in a dipstick tube.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 69
Lucky fellow. I have to still stick the sucker down the dipstick tube, and sincerely wish someone had put a drainage system into the sump pan drain, but reaching it now is impossible.

Installing an oil drain pump to both the engine and genny makes oil change a clean simple process. The pump will run in reverse to fill them as well.

I even added a valve to mine to do the trannys as well.

Installing an oil drain pump to both the engine and genny makes oil change a clean simple process. The pump will run in reverse to fill them as well.

Yup...Used mine for the first time the other day. Takes awhile to pump 11 quarts out of the Volvo through the dipstick tube, but generally pretty painless. I used high temp 1/4" Nylon tube with a Push-lock fitting to my Pump suction hose...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom