Thread: Day Tank
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 07:04 AM   #19
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
RE: Day Tank

Thanks for your input.

My electrical gauge and sensors are far more reliable than keeping a log. If the push button valves were relatively inexpensive and readily available, that's what I would use. If not, I won't.

I looked at the Tank Tender but I couldn't mount the tubes without cutting holes in the deck of my boat. It's expensive and as I said, I already have gauges.

I'm going down to the boat today to see what I will need to tap into the fuel lines and install valves and plastic tubing. If it's easily doable, I will do it. This will allow me to "calibrate" my existing gauges in the sense that I can know what they read when the tanks are full and close to empty and places in between. That will serve my needs just fine.

Example, I took a trip that was about 115 miles each way with no fuel available at the destination. In theory, I could have made the round trip on what fuel I had on board. To be safe, I stopped halfway there and topped the tanks off. I spent a lot more on fuel there than in my home area. With a more precise knowledge of how much fuel I actually had on board, I might have made the trip without stopping and fuelled up when I returned. It was an extra fuel stop, an extra tip, and an extra $.40 per gallon.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote