How Do They Do It? - Window screens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
On this weeks exciting episode, Steve has attempted to duplicate (as near as I can figure ;)) the process for attaching the screen onto the flat plastic ring used in the remaining original portals. My guess? Heat and pressure. This softens the plastic, which allows the wire screen to embed into it. I used an iron and aluminum foil- but there could certainly be s better option. Anyone got some insight to share?? ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436586035.255058.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436586051.436986.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436586070.138973.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436586121.283346.jpg

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Nice job. Very creative solution. I wonder how it will hold.
I would lay the screen flat. Then wipe edge of frame with rubber cement then flop face down. Trim edge when dry.

For folks with less skill a visit to the local NAPA or similar will find doubble stick taper .

It is used to hold trim in place.

It is not inexpensive , but then again its not yacht priced either.

Another option would be to apply a thin coat of sealant ala 3M 5200 apply screen and turn over onto a layer of wax paper... Trim screen after it sets.

'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

I have a golfcart with a "tear" about an inch long at one fender. While researching how to make a permanent repair on YouTube I found that you can cut a small piece of backing screen. You use a heat gun to melt the screen into the inside of the tear. This is done prior to bondo and fairing. That's where I got the idea.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

I dunno....after seeing the way you did it, I think I'll copy. Were the plastic frames old originals? They often get so brittle as not to be reusable. Great episode!

Now that we have several ideas on how to attach the screen, anybody got an idea on how to make new frames? Like Larry mentioned, mine got brittle and broke.

For folks with less skill a visit to the local NAPA or similar will find doubble stick taper .It is used to hold trim in place.It is not inexpensive , but then again its not yacht priced either.

What's wrong with heavy duty Velcro...the "industrial strength stuff? That keeps the bugs out, but keeps the hatch available as an emergency exit.

Now that we have several ideas on how to attach the screen, anybody got an idea on how to make new frames? Like Larry mentioned, mine got brittle and broke.

Haven't looked too closely at it..but Lowes sells raw materials for making up your own window and door screens.

Possibly the materials could be adapted.

Goop marine clear adhesive and a Q-tip. Just lightly spread it on. Worked for me.

Haven't looked too closely at it..but Lowes sells raw materials for making up your own window and door screens.

Possibly the materials could be adapted.

Yeah...easy to work with also. With the 90 degree plastic mitered corners for it, it's not a good fit for the typical radiused corner port window. Grinding the pointed edge off the plastic corners helps, but still leaves gaps for the squitoes. Too bad too, cuz the material is cheap. I think I'll try the copper tubing and bronze screen next.

Last edited:

I have seen new frames made from straight plastic rail and 90* radiused corner pcs... they worked well for sq or rectangular windows w a small rad curve. Not sure where the guy got his materials but they were made for screen...inserted w a spline in a grove to hold the screen in.
'08 MS 34 HT
"Bacchus"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom