Cowichan Bay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
As we continue tossing around ideas for our cruise in the Gulf Islands this September, I asked in another thread about Ladysmith, a harbor we have not visited in all our trips in the Gulfs so far. Got some good information from forum members from this area about that harbor and so am looking for impressions of another one. I don't believe I've asked about it previously.

While we like anchoring out as much or more than visiting a harbor, a harbor we've not yet checked out is Cowichan Bay.

We've read what the cruising guides have to say and have long been reading Catherine Dook's humorous articles about living aboard a sailboat at Cowichan Bay. But we're curious if anyone here has called in there recently and what their impressions were. Thanks.

Last edited:
Cow bay

I went to Cowichan last year and it was really a nice visit. What I did though is anchor in Genoa Bay, which is a lovely anchorage, and took the little boat shuttle in to Cowichan. Cowichan is exposed and if the wind comes up it could be uncomfortable.

Last edited:
As noted, no good place to anchor in Cowichan and if Genoa Bay anchorage crowded easy enough to find a spot in Maple Bay with more float planes too. Ladysmith has a good anchorage just to East of Seattle YC dock. The Ladysmith bakery is tops. A more fun stop is Newcastle Is adjacent to Nanaimo. After Labor Day less crowded in most Gulf Is stops. Port Browning is worth a stop with dinghy trips finding another good bakery at the shopping area and Poet's Cove Resort a great lunch site.

Cowichan Bay is a bay that is located near Duncan, in British Columbia. This destination is notable because of its hiking trails. Fishing is also one of the most enjoyable activities there.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom