Sometimes big engines are an advantage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I troll fishing gear behind my boat. So does that make it a "troller"? Or a trawler?

Maybe some on the site, their boats could be called "trollers", but not because of how they fish!!

Well, you didn't bring up the topic. Just someone wasn't happy with just taking over one thread with his pet peeve, but decided to take this one over too.

Your initial point and happiness was right on target and we totally agree.

There's been allot of fairly heated moments of this thread.

From being told that my boat or any SD boat is not suitable for the open ocean to Marin's unhappiness about the incorrect use of the term "trawler", which he is entirely correct BTW, this one has brought out some passionate discussion. :)

Well when they included the word "irregardless" they lost me....

Me too.

According to the Urban Dictionary . . . .

Top Definition

irregardless

Used by people who ignorantly mean to say regardless. According to webster, it is a word, but since the prefix "ir" and the suffx "less" both mean "not or with" they cancel each other out, so what you end up with is regard. When you use this to try to say you don't care about something, you end up saying that you do. Of course everyone knows what you mean to say and only a pompous,rude ******* will correct you.

Wife: "Irregardless is not a word, dummy"
Husband: "Kiss my ass bitch! I'm still going to the strip club tonight!"

by Dwayne Boyd August 12, 2005

I thought that last part was kind of funny :dance:

Reactions: Art
I think both halves of this thread-- the notion that boats like Kevin's have no place on open water and that recreational cruising boats are properly called "trawlers" -- are summed up best by comedian Ron White when he said, "You can't fix stupid."

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean that stupid should simply be accepted without comment or protest. In this country, anyway, ignorance is a constitutionally protected right and I, and I'm sure Kevin, have no interest in denying people that right. However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

A person can believe a horse is a cow and they have every right to carry that belief to the grave. While this will not change the fact that a horse is a horse, it does, however, tell us something about the person who thinks it's a cow.

Speaking only for myself I believe that Kevin, who based on his posts over the years has had more experience boating in tricky and challenging waters than 95% of the people on this forum including me, made a very smart decision to use the capabilities of his boat to avoid what at the very least would have been a long and uncomfortable ride. I also believe that his boat would have been capable of handling that long and uncomfortable ride had he chosen that option, but he's obviously too smart to make that choice when he doesn't have to.

I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

Have a nice day out there.:)

Last edited:
However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

zpage080.gif

Yup, but at times I feel like good ol' Don.

Thanks to this forum; I know that I don’t have the right anchor and am now trying to figure out how to add a second anchor.

Remember, "two wrongs don't make a right".:D

May I add

and to think little old me started this whole thing because I was happy that I could out run a patch of potentially rough water in our 4788. :)

Even if I had a FD boat I would not call it a trawler. People ask what kind of boat I have and I tell them its a three bedroom, two bath house on the water. They understand that.

Marketed as a Motor Yacht , by a company named US Marine that actually made the product in the US with US labor. Honesty in marketing? The fun of owning a boat for the most of us is the image and dreams those boats imply. The trips, the journeys, the adventures, family times really could care less what you call the boat.
So lets turn this a little, Does the image of your boat imply your boating credibility. If you have a tug or trawler are you a better boat handler than a a express cruiser. Perhaps we should call the forum the real boater forum and forget about trying to name boats.

Marketed as a Motor Yacht , by a company named US Marine that actually made the product in the US with US labor. Honesty in marketing? The fun of owning a boat for the most of us is the image and dreams those boats imply. The trips, the journeys, the adventures, family times really could care less what you call the boat.
So lets turn this a little, Does the image of your boat imply your boating credibility. If you have a tug or trawler are you a better boat handler than a a express cruiser. Perhaps we should call the forum the real boater forum and forget about trying to name boats.

Oh Steve now we are in trouble.

Yes, people with saltier looking boats are better sea captains. Of course they are. When I become a better captain, I will graduate to a more salty looking boat myself. :eek:

I guess I screwed up! I didn't realize I was supposed to leave my Bayliner tied to the dock, and leave the real boating to people with reverse windshields. :facepalm:

I think I'll buy myself a pair of white pants and a captains hat now. I have to practice the lingo as well "alfred one martini, shaken not stirred please"

Na, cant do that... I'm gonna go kill some fish. :D

Last edited:
I think both halves of this thread-- the notion that boats like Kevin's have no place on open water and that recreational cruising boats are properly called "trawlers" -- are summed up best by comedian Ron White when he said, "You can't fix stupid."

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean that stupid should simply be accepted without comment or protest. In this country, anyway, ignorance is a constitutionally protected right and I, and I'm sure Kevin, have no interest in denying people that right. However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

A person can believe a horse is a cow and they have every right to carry that belief to the grave. While this will not change the fact that a horse is a horse, it does, however, tell us something about the person who thinks it's a cow.

Speaking only for myself I believe that Kevin, who based on his posts over the years has had more experience boating in tricky and challenging waters than 95% of the people on this forum including me, made a very smart decision to use the capabilities of his boat to avoid what at the very least would have been a long and uncomfortable ride. I also believe that his boat would have been capable of handling that long and uncomfortable ride had he chosen that option, but he's obviously too smart to make that choice when he doesn't have to.

I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

Thankfully we live in a democracy. The majority don't have a problem with it. The term trawler is acceptable. Get over it. You may feel I'm stupid for taking this position, but consider this: Einstein would tell that beating this same dead horse over and over again expecting a different outcome, is the definition of insanity. :)

Ted

Oh so that means you have a fishing boat!!

Oh Steve now we are in trouble.

Yes, people with saltier looking boats are better sea captains. Of course they are. When I become a better captain, I will graduate to a more salty looking boat myself. :eek:

I guess I screwed up! I didn't realize I was supposed to leave my Bayliner tied to the dock, and leave the real boating to people with reverse windshields. :facepalm:

I think I'll buy myself a pair of white pants and a captains hat now. I have to practice the ling as well "alfred one martini, shaken not stirred please"

Na, cant do that... I'm gonna go kill some fish. :D
There you go!

The term trawler is acceptable.

You can't fix.... oh look, there goes the point.

As to Scary's question does the image of one's boat project an implication of that person's boating credibility my response is absolutely..... 90% of the time.

However.... it projects an implcation of their boating credibility only in the interpretation of that image by the person doing the judging.

I see a lot of production boats for which my immediate reaction is, "No way in hell would I even get on a boat being driven by the kind of person who would buy that thing." That's my reaction, but it may not be Joe Blow's reaction standing next to me on the dock watching the same boat.

Si I absolutely believe the image/type of boat a boater has announces very loudly that person's boating credibility, but "image" and "credibility" are totally subjective things.

I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know.

Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?

We will let the members decide where "stupid" is most applicable.

I would have left this thread alone if it was just a debate without inferring some of us are ignorant, stupid, etc..etc.

so I am back in full force....:D

Attachments

• th.jpg
    th.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
I'm probably stupid, but I have a lot to learn. So that's my excuse.

If you have a problem with me calling something a trawler, here are the appropriate steps to take to insure I don't change a a thing.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436561337.246085.jpg

Now how do I join that bozo club?!:D

Lots of boats here can be well described as trawlers.

One other's boat is a "troller"

Trying to apply strict rules to nautical terms, especially as they have evolved... is silly.

How can you call that thing a "gunwale" when there are no guns??? etc etc.

It's well understood in the boating community what a "trawler" could be. That is what matters.

I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know. Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?

Absolutely. When you're wrong you're wrong and all your protestations and parading your vast experience on the water doesn't make you right. It just makes you a very experienced boater who, in this particular instance, is wrong. Two plus two does not equal five no matter how much you believe it does.

I don't expect you to change your incorrect belief. I'm just telling you that it's incorrect. If you choose to continue to cling to an inaccuracy, that's a reflection on you, not on me or anyone else.

Good luck.

Last edited:
George Buehler's original Coot 35 design had significant topside/interior differences from Seahorse Marine's production. (Hull and engine compartment were the same.) The original design consisted of a shorter forward cabin containing V-berths, a longer raised pilothouse containing helm and dinette, a shorter rear compartment containing kitchen and head, and a longer rear cockpit. The longer cockpit provided for a second helm, a transom door, and room for hoist. Thus, it was highly suitable as a crabber and a troller. So, perhaps it could have been described as a (recreational) crabber/troller.

Mark-- Do you know if anyone bought the boat specifically to use as a crab boat or troller? Just curious.

Marin, I'm not aware whether any Coots were built to the original design.

Ok, I can't help myself and I've got to say this. "Irregardless" is incorrect but it pales in comparison to the number of times people spell "a lot" as "allot." Don't know why but that drives me nuts. It's simple, "a lot," now go to the board and write it 100 times. You know who you are.

Some early Nordic Tug 26 without the aft cabin (dare I call it a saloon?), were outfitted as commercial gillnetters and trollers. One 26 with a cabin was sold as a water taxi. A 32 was outfitted as a pizzeria. Nordic Tugs even built a barge for one owner, so at least one hull was actually a tug.

Last edited:
I just looked up "recreational trawler" via Google. There were 271,000 results. Here's one definition:

Recreational trawlers are pleasure boats which resemble fishing trawlers. They can also be called cruising trawlers or trawler yachts. Within the category, however, are many types and styles of vessels.
A fishing trawler for example, always has a displacement hull for load-carrying capacity. Recreational trawlers, on the other hand, are as likely to have a semi-displacement hull. However, with the rising cost of fuel and the lower fuel consumption (though also lower speed) offered by displacement hulls, they are gaining popularity among some buyers. These displacement models typically have a cruising speed of 7–9 knots depending on the boat length. Their maximum speed is often no more than 10–12 knots, whereas semi-displacement hulls can attain 14–20 knots. Recreational trawlers need only a small engine; 80 hp can be adequate in a 42-foot boat, which will use less than 25 hp to cruise

I own a trawler...based on general consensus of 50 years on the water and what I know.

Anyone but a handful want to challenge my credentials for calling it one?

We will let the members decide where "stupid" is most applicable.

I would have left this thread alone if it was just a debate without inferring some of us are ignorant, stupid, etc..etc.

so I am back in full force....:D

I wanted to say stupid is as stupid calls, except I won't call him stupid. I have other words that would fit better but won't use them either. All I really wish is he'd confine his rant on the subject that the vast majority of us don't agree with to his own thread that he started on the subject, rather than trashing threads of others on different topics. He'd stopped getting attention on his thread so brought the topic here. He very conveniently overlooked Webster's statement of how they determine definitions. I'm sure he disagrees with every dictionary. Just to punish him I'm going to suggest he visit these sites too...

Top 15 Trawler Yachts, Best Trawlers | Yachting Magazine

Five Affordable Trawlers Under 40 Feet | boats.com

Trawler Buyers Guide | Discover Boating

Oh and I love this one on pocket trawlers...obviously they won't fit in our pockets. lol

Pocket Trawlers: Five for Value and Versatility « www.yachtworld.com www.yachtworld.com

In fact I'd suggest he write all those sites objecting to their use of the word.

Oh, and while Nordhavn may not call their boats trawlers directly, they do have articles on their site referring to them as trawlers and apparently they didn't find it offensive.

Top Five Trawler Buying Mistakes

I'm glad we're not discussing tramp steamers...;-)

It's interesting and perhaps telling that this obsession with clinging to a the use of a word incorrectly is not reflected in the sailboat community. I have yet to meet a sailboater who tries to pass his or her boat off as a "lumber schooner," or a "tea clipper" or any other sort of working sailboat. The ones I've talked to simply call them what they are: sloop, ketch, yawl, schooner, etc.

What has been extremely intriguing to me is how vehemently and passionately you lot have been defending what began as a simple marketing ploy to make a particular product seem like something it isn't. Of course there are thousands of references to "trawler yacht," or "recreational trawler" that come up on Google; it's a great demonstration and confirmation of the power of marketing.

I've been using excerpts from this thread over the last few days to demonstrate how changing people's perceptions can be an extremely powerful tool that can be used to change people's fundamental beliefs, even when those beliefs are based on something that isn't actually true or accurate. This is nothing new to ad agencies and company marketing departments, of course, but it's a concept that is relatively new in some of the environments in which I work.

My point to these people is not the virtue of using an inaccuracy to change people's perceptions, but how powerful a tool changing people's perceptions really is, particularly today when anything, true or not, can spread to become reality in people's minds virtually within hours.

I don't recall starting a thread specifically on the term "trawler" but maybe I did. I know I started on one the term "flying bridge." Perhaps that one morphed into a discussion of the word "trawler." In any event, BandB as usual misses the point of my participation in this discussion. I'm not out to change the world or the name of this forum. John had good reasons for choosing the name that he did and I certainly don't fault him for them. Good marketing was as much in his interest as it was for the power cruiser manufacturers back in the early 70s.

I've explained why I hold the position I hold, and it's been telling (to me) to see who has agreed and who has not. The responses from the various participants have been pretty much in line with what I expected them to be.

Last edited:
Marin what it began as is not relevant now.

So get in your trawler and go trawlering.

I had the same reaction. When someone infers or directly calls me an idiot or stupid, I respond in kind. That's the environment I was raised in.:nonono:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom