View Single Post
Old 07-10-2015, 12:33 PM   #245
Marin
Scraping Paint

City: -
I think both halves of this thread-- the notion that boats like Kevin's have no place on open water and that recreational cruising boats are properly called "trawlers" -- are summed up best by comedian Ron White when he said, "You can't fix stupid."

I agree 100% but that doesn't mean that stupid should simply be accepted without comment or protest. In this country, anyway, ignorance is a constitutionally protected right and I, and I'm sure Kevin, have no interest in denying people that right. However, I hope that people who know better will never stop speaking up for what is accurate and correct even if the majority cling steadfasty to what is inaccurate and wrong.

A person can believe a horse is a cow and they have every right to carry that belief to the grave. While this will not change the fact that a horse is a horse, it does, however, tell us something about the person who thinks it's a cow.

Speaking only for myself I believe that Kevin, who based on his posts over the years has had more experience boating in tricky and challenging waters than 95% of the people on this forum including me, made a very smart decision to use the capabilities of his boat to avoid what at the very least would have been a long and uncomfortable ride. I also believe that his boat would have been capable of handling that long and uncomfortable ride had he chosen that option, but he's obviously too smart to make that choice when he doesn't have to.

I believe that a trawler is a vessel rigged with trawl gear and that everything else is not a trawler.

And I believe that a horse is properly called....... a horse.

Have a nice day out there.