Lost battery cap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jwnall

Moderator Emeritus
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 36
This is a pretty trivial problem, but there are a lot of great minds on this forum, and so perhaps I can get a suggestion which will solve the problem.

A week or so ago, while adding water to the batteries, I accidentally dropped one of the battery caps from a 4-D battery into the bilge. Well, the bilge does not give up its dead! At least my bilge does not, anyway.

So I need to somehow figure out a way to replace that missing cap. Hopefully something short of buying a new 4-D battery. I have thought about it while lying awake at night and cannot come up with a reasonable solution.

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

Check with a shop that sells batteries see if they have a old battery you can get one from. Cat dealers have battery caps, I used to carry extras on my truck.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Check with a shop that sells batteries see if they have a old battery you can get one from. Cat dealers have battery caps, I used to carry extras on my truck.

Good idea. Thanks!

Check an auto/truck junk yard

I would think any battery shop would have spare caps. Just make sure you bring another one to match up the type.

In an emergency I've used a water bottle cap inserted upside down. Keeps any trash out.

This is a pretty trivial problem, but there are a lot of great minds on this forum, and so perhaps I can get a suggestion which will solve the problem.

A week or so ago, while adding water to the batteries, I accidentally dropped one of the battery caps from a 4-D battery into the bilge. Well, the bilge does not give up its dead! At least my bilge does not, anyway.

So I need to somehow figure out a way to replace that missing cap. Hopefully something short of buying a new 4-D battery. I have thought about it while lying awake at night and cannot come up with a reasonable solution.

All suggestions welcomed and appreciated.

If your in Tallahasse run by Battery source ( my neighbor here in Georgia owns it) he will give you a couple but in the mean time try a synthetic wine cork in it

- or go to a scrap merchant who buys batteries for the lead.

I would get a brighter light and mirror to try to find the original. If you use a cork, it needs to have a hole to let gasses out or there may be trouble.

Bilge ferrets! Little bastards grab stuff and move it to really dark, usually wet areas of the bilge! There is no way to eliminate them!

It`s not good to have objects floating around the bilge. The bilge pump may draw it in, helping you recover it, lest it cause a blockage.

A cork should work OK for at least awhile.

A breather hole may be a good idea.

Interesting, my father did the exact same thing a couple weeks ago. Just take one of the other caps with you to your local interstate distribution center. They should be glad to help by taking one from an old recycled battery.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom