Sometimes big engines are an advantage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1436487159.255553.jpg

Say Oliver, that's a great selfie!

The thread is a "tug" imo.
[Not a Site Team opinion]

More like a derelict vessel.

And the thing is this wasn't even the Trawler thread. No telling how many threads it will end up in.

Wonder if "tug" has the same colloquial meaning on the west side of the Pacific?

Wifey B: No...and I think this thread definitely comes up....omg I almost misspelled that...short of what one hopes from a tug. :devil::devil::devil:

If I say my boat is a trawler, who wants to argue?

img_347590_0_e70309d7bb850122635f765321e32ca8.jpg

wifyB,
The west side of the Pacific would be .. like Japan.

Tug? Don't mention that to Marin.

Provided entertainment again, Well I've owned both and agree with you. And thank God when Hatteras described my boat they called a long range cruiser, and last time I checked Hatteras is in the US. I might have been duped into buying a one of those work boat wannabes built in the far east.

Yes Steve this has been entertaining. :)

My faith in my fellow man has once again been re-affirmed. :facepalm:

Tug? Don't mention that to Marin.

No problem, Eric. Even a stock Nordic or Victory Tug is capable of pulling or pushing another boat or raft or whatever around so tug is an appropriate enough name albeit a bit of a stretch according to the definition. An added bonus is they even look like tugs.

From Merriam-Webster---

Tug[boat]: A strongly built powerful boat used for towing and pushing-- called also towboat.
First use: 1830

Haven't seen any plastic playtoy boats like the ones on this forum outfitted with trawl gear, though, or even the fittings to accept trawl gear, so sorry, that one no workee.

I have seen a plastic playtoy boat outfitted as a commercial troller however-- it's a GB42 in our harbor and even has a commercial license number painted on the sides--- so that one most definitely qualifies to be called a troller since it is one. But not a trawler as trawl gear is different than trolling gear as you-- but I'm guessing based on this thread not many other recreational boaters-- well know.

Last edited:
My commercial fishing buddy trawls. If I tow his boat while he's trawling, with my T******, does that make my boat a Tug and a Trawler? :rolleyes:

Ted

My commercial fishing buddy trawls. If I tow his boat while he's trawling, with my T******, does that make my boat a Tug and a Trawler? :rolleyes:

Ted

Wifey B: You're a trawler tugging tug trawler tugger.

Marin wrote;
"I have seen a plastic playtoy boat outfitted as a commercial troller however"

Fine for protected waters close in but the real fish are 20 miles out. One needs a boat w a stern much like this one for that.

Attachments

• DSCF0151 copy.jpg
    DSCF0151 copy.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 74
Marin wrote;

Fine for protected waters close in but the real fish are 20 miles out. One needs a boat w a stern much like this one for that.

No argument from me, Eric, but the definition of a troller doesn't specify what the boat itself looks like, only what it and its crew do. Why anyone would want to rig a very nice GB42 Europa as a commercial troller, complete with a hull extension of sorts behind the cockpit (at least above the waterline) to serve as a fish box I have no idea.

But I don't know where the owner fishes so maybe a semi-planing hull works okay for him. There is a great book I read not long ago called The Fisher Queen. It was written by a woman who, when she was younger, served as a deckhand for her boyfriend on a commercial troller working around the north end of Vancouver Island. Her descriptions of the water conditions they encountered in places like the Nahwitty Bar and down around to Quatsino Sound are very vivid. Not the kind of conditions one would want to be out in with a GB, I think.

Last edited:
I blame Romsdal.

Yup, the really good sea boats don't need the word trawler affixed, sometimes it just lands though. The term North Sea Trawler existed before Krogen was born.

Marin is correct, trawler as a label is just marketing BS. The boat designer's name says it all - Bill Garden, Art DeFever, Jeff Leishman, Tony Fleming, Sam Devlin, Tad Roberts, Doug Zurn, Ed Monk, Bill Crealock and the list goes on.

Spy, hope to see you in PR in a month or so.

Marin wrote;

Or this one :)

10115-albums347-picture1913.jpg

Richard
Stillwater
KK54 #5

How seriously does Nordhavn market their vessels as "trawlers"?

I skimmed the Nordhavn website but I certainly didn't read every word. In the long section on the company's history they acknowledge the influence of commercial fishing vessels, specifically the North Sea trawler-types, in their hull designs. In fact, they said, they chose the name Nordhavn, which means North Harbor in one of the Scandinavian languages, Norwegian, I think, as a way of acknowledging the design heritage of their boats.

I did not see the term "trawler" used in the descriptions of their boats. Doesn't mean they don't do it in their promotional material, it just means I didn't see it if they do. Their slogan seems to be "Power that's oceans apart."

They refer to their boats primarily by model number. They do use the term "little ship(s)" here and there when talking about the capabilities of their boats.

Last edited:
How seriously does Nordhavn market their vessels as "trawlers"?

I'm not sure how or if they do. But When explaining our boat, the word trawler seems to work great. We've been hailed by trawler, I've hailed others using trawler. That's what we call it, and will continue to.

I was just looking at the boating section of a 1982 Sydney newspaper.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=lL5f5cZgq8MC&dat=19821114&printsec=frontpage&hl=en
pages 67-70

It has an article on a big engined Cheoy Lee "luxury cruiser" beating a typhoon. Also advertised are 2 different Cheoy Lee "trawlers". (one a sailboat)

There is also a Lycrest termed as a "Luxury Cruiser" and and article on the first version of my boat (termed as motor sailer).

I know I don't own a trawler! It is a diesel pilothouse cruiser that can run at trawler speeds and get over 2 mpg or run at 20mph plus and get less than 1 mph. I chose my boat for pleasure, comfort, reliability (twins) and speed. Since I still work and spend limited time on the boat, I don’t think twice about running the generator 24/7 while needed or running at 20 to make happy hour. When I look at my boat budget fuel is not on the top. Thanks to this forum; I know that I don’t have the right anchor and am now trying to figure out how to add a second anchor.

Attachments

• aa10363670_534696716634631_6235402470145102194_n.jpg
    aa10363670_534696716634631_6235402470145102194_n.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 196
Seems to suggest that language is a living, evolving entity, subject to change dependent on common usage.

How does a word get into a Merriam-Webster dictionary?

This is one of the questions Merriam-Webster editors are most often asked.
The answer is simple: usage.
Tracking Word Usage
To decide which words to include in the dictionary and to determine what they mean, Merriam-Webster editors study the language as it's used. They carefully monitor which words people use most often and how they use them.
Each day most Merriam-Webster editors devote an hour or two to reading a cross section of published material, including books, newspapers, magazines, and electronic publications; in our office this activity is called "reading and marking." The editors scour the texts in search of new words, new usages of existing words, variant spellings, and inflected forms–in short, anything that might help in deciding if a word belongs in the dictionary, understanding what it means, and determining typical usage. Any word of interest is marked, along with surrounding context that offers insight into its form and use.

I know I don't own a trawler! It is a diesel pilothouse cruiser that can run at trawler speeds and get over 2 mpg or run at 20mph plus and get less than 1 mph. I chose my boat for pleasure, comfort, reliability (twins) and speed. Since I still work and spend limited time on the boat, I don’t think twice about running the generator 24/7 while needed or running at 20 to make happy hour. When I look at my boat budget fuel is not on the top. Thanks to this forum; I know that I don’t have the right anchor and am now trying to figure out how to add a second anchor.

and to think little old me started this whole thing because I was happy that I could out run a patch of potentially rough water in our 4788. :)

Even if I had a FD boat I would not call it a trawler. People ask what kind of boat I have and I tell them its a three bedroom, two bath house on the water. They understand that.

Seems to suggest that language is a living, evolving entity, subject to change dependent on common usage.

Well when they included the word "irregardless" they lost me....

and to think little old me started this whole thing because I was happy that I could out run a patch of potentially rough water in our 4788. :)

Even if I had a FD boat I would not call it a trawler. People ask what kind of boat I have and I tell them its a three bedroom, two bath house on the water. They understand that.

Well, you didn't bring up the topic. Just someone wasn't happy with just taking over one thread with his pet peeve, but decided to take this one over too.

Your initial point and happiness was right on target and we totally agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom