Turning Classic Yachts into Beach Cottages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djones44

Vessel Name
Twilight1
Vessel Make
Permaglass Sedan
I have this nagging mania that repeats itself, and goes like this wherein I:

1) Buy an old raised deck cruiser like this one -any old wooden gin palace.
00202_8dkrgrM1zR0_600x450.jpg

1918 Bridgedeck Cruiser
2) Cruise the hell out of it like a feckless rake from the 20's until:
3) The mechanic tells me there's no compression and the stringers are just paint.
4) With a barely detectable smile, I disclose my hand and notify Nickels house moving, having purchased a sub-$100k lot on Ruxton, high bank bare waterfront lot with other boaters, and soon:
5) I have the old girl laid up on blocks somewhere above high tide, pointed confidently seaward. I cover her nudity with a carport roof of solar panels, and while the Nickels hoe is there, he clears me a little septic area and scrapes me something for a pad, leaves me my cement and materials.

In 2009 I wrote a book that foresees Justin Trudeau supporting this as the PM, in 2017 ;-) except he had homeless kids and druggies building cabins along our coasts. For god's sake support him if you love our coasts.

The prospect is that us cajuns could revisit Marin's 1900's era everywhere along our coasts and lakes, recoup the grounds and repopulate them. You'd slide by our boneyards and see a history of NW yachting, wood smoke rising quietly above the rain-catching, solar heavens beneath them. Grandchildren everywhere like ants.

I've been having similar urges about old cruisers like that! Mine don't extend to such drastic levels of intentional grounding, but the idea is quite romantic. Do it!

The heck with that! Buy that 1918 cruiser, invest some money to spiff her up, and you'd have a first-rate cruiser! :)

But, if you must beach her, don't point her bow seaward. Place here beam-to the shore to improve the view from the salon. And don't cover her nudity with any structural appendages. That would destroy her pretty lines and make her look like any other trailer park hodgepodge put-together. Kind of like putting a burkha over Kate Upton. :socool:

I've been having similar urges about old cruisers like that! Mine don't extend to such drastic levels of intentional grounding, but the idea is quite romantic. Do it!

Thx, given the time and means, I do intend to. There are two rationales to justify the beachings, as it were - namely:

1) what is going to happen to these old beauties otherwise - their eyes picked out on the hard by people with chainsaws?
2) if you're going to build a cabin in the woods, consider this option first.

A boat under a solar 'carport' roof has its own source of energy and rainwater. If there were one or two large engines- you can remove them first to make moving much easier, and leave yourself with a nice workshop in their place. Maybe leave the generator, diesel heat or A/C functional for spot use, if you only visit sporadically.

I think it's a solid option for 'building' on unserviced island lots, off the grid, where those utilities have no prospect of ever being installed - and bare waterfront exists and is more affordable. A co-op could share an island, e.g. where they can tie up their runabouts- like this: Pylades Island - British Columbia, Canada - Private Islands for Sale

The people you might find in such a living museum would be interesting indeed - my kind of town.

I have this nagging mania that repeats itself, and goes like this wherein I:

1) Buy an old raised deck cruiser like this one -any old wooden gin palace.
00202_8dkrgrM1zR0_600x450.jpg

1918 Bridgedeck Cruiser
2) Cruise the hell out of it like a feckless rake from the 20's until:
3) The mechanic tells me there's no compression and the stringers are just paint.
4) With a barely detectable smile, I disclose my hand and notify Nickels house moving, having purchased a sub-$100k lot on Ruxton, high bank bare waterfront lot with other boaters, and soon:
5) I have the old girl laid up on blocks somewhere above high tide, pointed confidently seaward. I cover her nudity with a carport roof of solar panels, and while the Nickels hoe is there, he clears me a little septic area and scrapes me something for a pad, leaves me my cement and materials.

In 2009 I wrote a book that foresees Justin Trudeau supporting this as the PM, in 2017 ;-) except he had homeless kids and druggies building cabins along our coasts. For god's sake support him if you love our coasts.

The prospect is that us cajuns could revisit Marin's 1900's era everywhere along our coasts and lakes, recoup the grounds and repopulate them. You'd slide by our boneyards and see a history of NW yachting, wood smoke rising quietly above the rain-catching, solar heavens beneath them. Grandchildren everywhere like ants.

This boat sits a few slips down from my boat.. guy has some nifty solar lights that are made out of Jelly jars or the like.. walked past it last night and the boat "twinkled" .. but the smell downwind of it of wood boat was unmistakeable!. Like a lot of old boats.. looks cool but i wouldn't want to care for it.
Dragging them up the beach to use as a cabin isn't such a bad idea.
HOLLYWOOD

The heck with that! Buy that 1918 cruiser, invest some money to spiff her up, and you'd have a first-rate cruiser! :)

I shudder to think of the funds required to keep these old birds seaworthy - I'm not sure you could even find the joinery craftsmen even if you could afford them?

But, if you must beach her, don't point her bow seaward. Place here beam-to the shore to improve the view from the salon. And don't cover her nudity with any structural appendages. That would destroy her pretty lines and make her look like any other trailer park hodgepodge put-together. Kind of like putting a burkha over Kate Upton. :socool:

Keeping her beam-to limits one side to a view of the bush, and if you have true waterfront you may have 180 degree views. I'm especially looking for old ones with a low profile, like the 1918 pictured, that can be under a rain roof without cutting off a big mast, bridge structures etc. There's not much to the supporting posts to obscure views of the boat.

I think any likely difficulty could be with zoning and permits, and the nimby environmentalists who recognize every species habitat on earth except our own.

>What would you do with black and gray water?

A small septic field aft of the vessel?

Last edited:
This boat sits a few slips down from my boat.. guy has some nifty solar lights that are made out of Jelly jars or the like.. walked past it last night and the boat "twinkled" .. but the smell downwind of it of wood boat was unmistakeable!. Like a lot of old boats.. looks cool but i wouldn't want to care for it.
Dragging them up the beach to use as a cabin isn't such a bad idea.

Which makes me think of another pointer toward boat-cabins starting to make increasing sense: LED lighting and solar panel advances, combined with the very modest current draw of USB devices (<10W) means those big batteries you got with the boat are all you'll need for storage and continued usage - especially if you're not there full time. Show up to full batteries and (filtered) water tanks each time.

And the Internet now is as close as your cellphone, with 4G expanding, so you can use the boat as a studio and not be compromised by the fact that you are concomitantly in paradise.

Last edited:
In Hansville, WA (Point no Point), someone took part of the 1943, 186' ocean going tug, Jupiter Inlet and made a house out of it. Locally, it's a bit of tourist attraction. They did a nice job on the conversion.

Attachments

• road trip 028.jpg
    road trip 028.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 150
Or you could buy the boat, restore it and then cruise it. I only spent 4 years working on my 1936 cruiser to bring it back. It doesn't actually cost that much to keep up except in my time.

I think as long as her shoreside environment is well done, and doesn't detract from her natural beauty, why not? It would be nice to give the ol' gal something to live for once her floating days are done.

How about an airplane for a cottage?

6_plane-house.jpg

Or maybe as your next boat?

plane_boat.jpg

Or maybe as your next boat?

plane_boat.jpg

What came first, the plane or the boat? :socool:

Methinks that a boat is a sacred orb you can worship anywhere, as your (objectively insane) heart desires..

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom