Rocna on Mainship 40

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the quick responses. Very helpful. I think the pulpit (now I know the proper terminology) on our Mainship looks the same as the one on Larry's friend's boat. I have attached a photo of the pulpit of our boat with a 35 lb delta style anchor. I think the Rocna would fit. Based on the length and weight Marin is on track with the manufacturer's recommendations re size. Interesting though that the recommended weight for a Rocna is a fair bit more than the Delta we bought the boat with.

Attachments

• IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 84
Based on your photo I would appear to me that a Rocna or any roll bar anchor will fit just fine.

Regarding the recommended weight, when I talked to Rocna a number of years ago about their anchor one of the things they told me was that their weight/sizing chart is based on using the anchor under storm conditions. They said (and I don't know if this is true) that some anchor manufacturers' sizing charts are based on an anchor for normal or typical conditions, not storm conditions. Whether this is to make their anchors more competitive price-wise I have no idea although I suppose it's a possibility. Since the chances of the average recreational boater actually encountering storm conditions while at anchor are relatively slim, perhaps there's some truth to it.

Last edited:
If you want to know if a Rocna will fit your pulpit, the Rocna site has (or did when I was looking at the Rocna) templates for each size anchor that you can download and print out. Transfer the outlines from a template to some thin ply (doorskin), cut it out and try it for fit on your pulpit. I was worried that the roll bar would not clear the end of our pulpit. The mockup from the template showed that it would just clear, so we bought the Rocna.

Attachments

• rocna.jpg
    rocna.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:
Thanks for the quick responses. Very helpful. I think the pulpit (now I know the proper terminology) on our Mainship looks the same as the one on Larry's friend's boat. I have attached a photo of the pulpit of our boat with a 35 lb delta style anchor. I think the Rocna would fit. Based on the length and weight Marin is on track with the manufacturer's recommendations re size. Interesting though that the recommended weight for a Rocna is a fair bit more than the Delta we bought the boat with.

Looks like with that kind of pulpit/roller system, you could mount any type of anchor you might like.

I wouldn't worry too much about the weight difference. Silverton delivered our boat (new, to the original owner) with the tiniest Delta (22-lb) that could remotely work for our size boat... in calm weather and perfect holding grounds... and with no regard to our windage profile. Probably on the assumption that US powerboat people don't anchor out much, anyway, only marina-hop in nice weather. (Horse hockey! Although I'm guessing the original owner very likely never anchored once. Anyway, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 44-lb Delta for our boat.)

Mainship (another Luhrs Group company, at the time) may well have done the same.

-Chris

Last edited:
There is a mega yacht called Rebecca that summers here. No anchor on her bow. They have a well below decks that the anchor deploys from. When she is anchored there is no rode visible. The boat just appears to be sitting there. No idea what anchor they use, but the anchor must be fairly hefty to hold a 170 ton 150' sailing yacht.

Last edited:
Some boats have an eye down at the bottom of the bobstay which is near the waterline. They could tie the anchor off there, and reduce the bucking of the boat in heavy weather. That way, you wouldn't see the anchor line, since it is at or below the waterline.

Yes that is the boat. No they don't have an eye at the waterline. As I said the anchor is in a well below deck so it isn't visible.

Here is a pic of her at anchor

Rebecca.jpg

Last edited:
The anchor probably is mounted through the bottom of the hull. You can see such anchors on the Manson anchor site. The anchor is called "hiding". The bottom of the anchor becomes part of the hull when the anchor I'd pulled all the way up.

This probably won't help the OP at all, I just wanted to post a picture of the Bayliner pulpit with it's two anchors and the Jarvis Newman in the background. :)

Attachments

• Bow pulpit.jpg
    Bow pulpit.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 108
Back
Top Bottom