Suggestions for Marine carpet on back deck of tri-cabin.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Restitution

Vessel Name
"Restitution"
Vessel Make
38' Californian
I am investing into a full canopy for fly bridge and back raised deck of Californian. I would enjoy some comfortable indoor/outdoor carpeting, but will not be glueing to deck. Probably will use some industrial Velcro strips along edge. Suggestions for carpet without breaking the bank? One price I received was $1,000 for 8x10 piece. Ugh. I want carpet to be heavier as compared to lightweight. Suggestions.

Thanks,
Sam

I got very inexpensive indoor/outdoor stuff from Lowes.

I liked it because it is very thin, no backing, drains fast and doesn't stay wet so it doesn't lift paint.

It was an end of the roll on sale and was around $100 bucks on sale.

Not even snapped down but I do have curtains around the bridge. Just aft where the opening is does it need something to hold it down in high winds.

Last edited:
Ditto on the inexpensive stuff from Home Depot/Lowes. I covered my flybridge and sundeck for ~$100. Hardest part is cutting to fit....I used a razor knife and metal straight edge. Next season I will use the existing piece as a template to cut the replacement. (The stuff is so cheap might as well replace every year) Both flybridge and sundeck are unsecured....no tape or velcro. Have not had a problem with carpet moving or blowing away. Makes a world of difference in the comfort of the areas. Cheers!

I am investing into a full canopy for fly bridge and back raised deck of Californian. I would enjoy some comfortable indoor/outdoor carpeting, but will not be glueing to deck. Probably will use some industrial Velcro strips along edge. Suggestions for carpet without breaking the bank? One price I received was $1,000 for 8x10 piece. Ugh. I want carpet to be heavier as compared to lightweight. Suggestions.

We got our replacement cockpit and bridge carpet from Corinthian Marine Carpet (Corinthian Textile Solutions; corinthiantextiles.com) and we've been very pleased with it. The one we chose is called Cabo Desert Sand (color; it's a sort of Berber weave) and with their AquaLoc backing. We also did a binding upgrade, to Sunbrella.

It was not inexpensive, but...

The backing is a big deal, for us, especially given the exposed cockpit. Our original carpet had some kind of black rubber backing that eventually deteriorated, and it was just nasty stuff. Ground into the non-skid; even with a floor cleaner, power washer, and hand scrubbing, it was a bear to finally get all that off...

And the AquaLoc is said to be wonderful. So far (since 2012, in the cockpit) so good.

In fact, great. We re-did the bridge in 2014, and while we were at it, we also have a couple pieces made to fit/cover the "wood" (Amtico) floor surfaces in the galley and head.

The carpet is substantial enough to provide some useful cushioning (I have an issue that requires cushioning), it's heavy enough that we don't usually bother to snap it down, and we can just hose it down with our electric power washer occasionally to remove whatever dirt (and usually pollen) that may have built up over time. (Or vacuum, on the bridge or the interior pieces.) It dries quickly enough, after a hard rain (or a powerwashing)... but that usually means over the course of a dry day or so.

We also found it useful to be able to supply our own templates. I could have ordered from the OEM provider -- and would have, except they had no better backing at the time -- but the original OEM design for our cockpit was absolutely stupid. (Had to move all 3 sections to open a hatch.) Our redesign fixed that.

The current carpet shows no wear at all. In fact, I just powerwashed the cockpit sections 2 days ago, and yesterday it was dry and looked like new.

The original carpet was beginning to be hosed (the backing) when we got the boat in 2005, approx 3 years old... We put up with it for a long time after that, but it was just a major pain in the a$$... so I didn't mind springing for a few more buck$ to try to get something less irritating.

-Chris

Chris,

I agree with Corinthian carpet choice as it is truly a premium carpet. What got me going on the new canopy and carpet was that I was aboard a friends boat over the past weekend. The new canopy covering his back deck and associated carpet were wonderful. The carpet was Corinthian. It was heavy and did not need securing and was soft. I called Corinthian and the piece I would need was over $1,000. I have spent the Admiral's allowable budget for me on the canopy. For this year, we will either go without our get some cheaper outdoor carpeting from Lowe's. Thanks for the advice and enjoy the summer.

as long as the deck is gel coat ....any carpet works.

paint the deck and one that holds moisture for lengthy periods can spell trouble.

.....for those that not have hard their hard won surface start peeling when they wouldn't have expected it.

I used carpet for a pontoon boat, many colors and different weights.

Sam,

A little bit of a thread drift, but did you get the canopy made to cover your fly bridge and aft deck? I would love to see some pictures.

Cheers, Bill

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom