Thermostat substitution

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henryj2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Make
Gulf Star
We have twin 1978 Perkins T6.354M 160s. The thermostat in the port engine opens at about 120 degrees rather than the proper 180. Finding a replacement for the large skirt thermostat that fits has been difficult. We have been told that in 1980 Perkins changed the opening on these engines to accomodate a much smaller skirted thermostat and no longer makes the large skirted size but that we can use the smaller and it is held in place with an O-ring. Is anyone familiar with this situation?
Any info appreciated.

Seems a pretty simple solution to remove the thermostat, carefully remove the guts from the skirt, and make a hole in the center that the new thermostat guts can stick up through. Secure the new one in place with a couple on 10-32 screws with lock nuts and reassemble. No need to seal the old to the new as the little water getting buy will have almost no effect.

Ted

I help a friend on his Perkins 6.354, when we installed a replacement for the starboard engine we need a new thermostat. He has the same problem, the smaller thermostats require a steel adapter ring to fit it into the old housing. We haven't tore it apart to find the cause for the cooler temps yet, it does have a new ring and new 170f thermostat and everything is installed correctly, TAD had all the parts. As far as I know he hasn't talked with TAD about the possible cause and the temps were verified with a IR temp gun.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
River Cruiser.
So you have installed a new thermostat and the engine is still running cool?
henryj

River Cruiser.
So you have installed a new thermostat and the engine is still running cool?
henryj

Yes, if I remember right his runs around 140f. He hasn't checked it out because he has been preparing the boat to paint and hasn't used it since we brought it down from Red Wing, Mn.

River Cruiser
Re: your continuing cool engine temps after new thermostat installation.

I just today finally laid hands on the proper thermostat and installed same. Disappointment. Both wheel house and bridge temp. gauges unchanged -- still running very cool, about 120 and 130. However, when I checked engine with gun walla! hits about 182, then drops to about 175, over and over which is exactly what I want. Appears both of the gauges and the thermostat were not working properly. If you haven't already done so, and before you replace thermostat again, check the new one with an infrared gun.

Glad that you've got yours sorted out, we have checked his with a IR temp gun and the gauges are correct. He has been busy re-sealing windows, sanding and removing everything that's bolted to the superstructure to get it ready for paint so the engine running cool hasn't been addressed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom