Mike Sandiland?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

34 Europa

Veteran Member
Hi,
We have begun removal of the teak decks on our boat and came across some pictures on Flicker posted by Mike Sandiland. We had a couple questions for him.... does anyone know if he is on this forum or how to get a hold of him?

Primarily, we want to find out what the pink "mish mash" leveling compound he used was and what exactly he used for the core material.

Also, we will post pictures of our progress once we figure out how :blush:

Thanks
J & K

I don't know Mike Sandiiland, but have you seen this posting on the Yahoo CHB List?

Jared and Kathy,

When I started my deck replacement I hired an expert fiberglass man. was also going to use plywood core. He scoffed at the notion of a plywood core. Why use plywood for the new core? In a few years, if a leak or 2 develops, you will be back to rotten core again.

He had me use marine closed cell foam. Easy to cut (hand held knife), it comes in different thicknesses, very easy to fit, light weight, no need for epoxy coating, and will never again rot in the presence of water (oh, and the foam we used was a really nice pink color)!! I do not know if there is a difference in cost per sq. ft. however.

Sheesh, that really shifted the paradigm for me when he laughed at the notion of plywood.

The crushing strength, ply vs foam, is a non-issue as one is basically building a torsion box and the cores only job is to hold the two sides apart.

I am deleting my Flickr page but the photos of the deck replacement are still up there (link below in my signature).

Mike Sandiland
Ex: Pelagia, 1978 CHB 34
Bozeman, Montana
Boat Project Photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/89481273@N00/

34 Europa, to my knowledge I have the only IG in captivity with foam sandwich decks. When I had the decks redone the only wood sandwich was a small square section fwd of the step up both sides towards the bow. Black, wet and soft, replaced with foam. The extra work a wood sandwich all over would have entailed does not bear thinking about.

Back
Top Bottom