Beneteau Swift Trawler 34 advice/opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peter B is spot on re the PNW boat.

You can go safely to Alaska and back in a light plywood OB boat. I've done it and didn't suffer at all except for the camping lifestyle. We encountered 8' seas (head seas) and needed to keep our legs bent to absorb the shock loads. So comfort was poor but the boat did well.

People go in kayaks, rowboats with and w/o engines and sailboats .. not usually less than 24' but as Peter says waiting for weather is key.

Yes they do...

Race to Alaska |

https://vimeo.com/102808926

Last edited:
I helped out with a local ST44 purchase. I felt the quality and layout were sorta ok. What spooked me was all the systems were Euro parts, most of which I had never seen before. Chargers, pumps, valves, shaft seals, breakers, switches, everything Euro. I imagine the quality is fine, but if you have to replace anything, the US market is not used to stocking them.

Having owned a Beneteau sailboat and looked at ST 34, 44, and 50 at boatshows, my conclusions were that the 34 is too small with a short range for my needs and wants. The 44 is better size and range wise. Given that it costs around 400k Euros with decent option set, I think it would be very tempting when/if the dollar exchanges for 1.2 - 1.3 Euro and the exchange factor is fully propagated into the US price. At about $560k, the price does not correspond to the quality, as far as I am concerned.

Having owned a Beneteau sailboat and looked at ST 34, 44, and 50 at boatshows, my conclusions were that the 34 is too small with a short range for my needs and wants. The 44 is better size and range wise. Given that it costs around 400k Euros with decent option set, I think it would be very tempting when/if the dollar exchanges for 1.2 - 1.3 Euro and the exchange factor is fully propagated into the US price. At about $560k, the price does not correspond to the quality, as far as I am concerned.

Act quickly, as the current exchange rate gets you a €400K boat for the low price of $440K!

Be sure a Euro build is in compliance with US requirements , If you need insurance.

Use boat review sites to gather specific information about a boat. However, don't use that site or any of the others to form an opinion as to the quality of a boat as you'll never find a negative review. They are dependent on advertising dollars. I'm not saying that critically. But there are no negative reviews. At most you may occasionally gather from a review one thing that the reviewer wished was different. I do read and enjoy reading the reviews but wouldn't make a buy/don't buy decision based on them. I especially like reviews that include test data as this one does. That is useful information.

Not necessarily a good thing.

I've found their tests and those of PMY to be quite reasonable in terms of the results given based on the loads and conditions shown. There are plenty of valid criticisms to make of all testing and review sites, but I've found the test data itself to be quite useful.

I've also found some of the detail information of the tests to be of use. My criticism is that every boat has a great ride, every boat performs great and no boat has any major issues per the tests and reviews. That's true for them and all other sites I know that have reviews of boats. I am not aware of any completely objective and revealing boat review sites or magazines.

That said, I do like to read them but I do so with a discerning mind.

Frankly, this test would give me concern over the boat. I find the range to be inadequate for long range cruising. At any speed above 8 knots it is even borderline to unsatisfactory for the Loop and I don't see people who want to go 6-7 knots buying this boat. Second I find the decibel levels high for a boat of that sort. Most sport boats are quieter.

As always one should look at load and conditions. In this case note 4 people and 3/4 fuel but no water and minimal gear. So fully loaded one would expect poorer performance.

In reading the review itself, I was able to read carefully and there were several things included that I would find matters of concern regarding the boat, this within the typical glowing review.

Last edited:
My 2016 st34 result of 3 years research, and lots of physical comparison, gets delivered September. Well regarded for heavy seas and very well built for the $.

Congrats! Please keep in touch.

I can answer my criteria and the finalist boats when I selected the Beneteau:
-Silverton - no lower helm, very wimpy rails, nice interior though, nice kitchen, Egg Harbor bought out of bankruptcy, something about that concerned me but twin engines, decent price, it was a final contender until I grabbed a rail, and I realized it didn't have trawler character.
-Carver 34 and 37, really nice boats, with lower helm very pricey, living area more like a camper but beautiful fly bridge and kitchen, and beautiful build quality, My research showed this is a planing hull and very hungry for fuel, simply not a trawler. I am impressed with what Carver has done with quality over the last 8 or 9 years however.
-Junneau 37 flying bridge trawler - really high end quality and unimpeachable construction, $150 k more, ooh soo pricey!, also like the Carver the atmosphere was more like a camper on the interior, and uncomfortable seats (Scandanavian square design I suspect, not sure where it's built), built it is a Beneteau company (they own them), twin engines, still not quite the trawler atmosphere I sought, I wanted only one engine to care for.
Beneteau 34, very nice quality, but most impressive to me was the atmosphere in the boat, and very trawler-like feel. Construction is cubed end-grain balsa core (fiberglass webbed) construction for a very thick, stout hull and the decks are also very thick (solid), overall very solid, EU-B rated with 8 people aboard, and known for being very good in severe weather, much more than I'll ever hope to endure, and fully loaded with the latest Raymarine equipment, upgraded electronics, nice atmosphere in the cabin, nice walkaround, sheltered back end, no posts in the way of fishing, one Cummins 6.7 single, bow and stern thrusters standard, and overall robust quality, heavy sturdy rails, top of the line hardware and gear. Runs like a trawler economically at just below 8 mph and if you want this one will get jiggy with it at 25 mph with the 6.7 still getting 1.2 mpg (sorry I am not Knot saavy yet), Helm seat and sofa bed are very comfortable!!, definitely interior is mass produced from veneers however I can keep her looking new with my furniture background. There was no close second in value after we looked at everything within our budget, thus the benefit of buying from one of the largest boat builders anywhere came through. I wanted to start new, with a 3 year warranty on everything, at 61 yrs old I don't need a harbor queen. I am going upscale for the tender putting an AB-Lammina 9.5 with Yamaha 15 hp and bimini top, running lights, 6 gallon tank for very long range, and yes, it fits installed bow facing rearward!! I optioned it fully, all canvas, E127 and great loop electronics, Onan generator, bug screens, teak aft and side floors outside, back bench, additional service battery, ice maker, electric head, and still stayed well below the price of the other contenders, with a much better equipped boat. Beneteau uses top drawer componentry.
-Honorable mention, I was unaware of Marlow acquiring Mainship, and the new offerings in their 34-39' classes, and what a tremendous value those are. And they're stunning inside and out!! That lineup would be well worth investigation and there are some others out there that are also very compelling.

Joebad. It sounds like you've researched it very carefully. That's what I applaud regardless of the decision. I'm about process because I think that generally leads to decisions that are right for people. I'm sure you'll love your boat.

Oh and you and my wife and I are among the minority that likes to buy new. I know all the numbers say used, but we still like it and glad to have company doing so.

Good advice on the valves! I saw that they are brass. Since my company buys thousands of high end valves every year (we build effluent decontamination systems for biocontainment facilities world-wide), I will know immediately when I see them if the valves used by Beneteau are good or poor quality units; I get the impression you already know the answer to that! I will have a supply of equivalent 316-L units shipped to me once I inspect them, particularly the ones that I will be using often.

still suggest you change out those cheap plated brass ball valves.

Are you referring to all the thru-hulls? Sounds like a project when next hauled.

JOEBAD -

My Captain and I had our ST 34 for 3 + years. Trips from NYC to Washington DC - Ocean, Bay and ICW and we both never had an issue with performance, seaworthness or quality. It is not a Nordy, GB, etc - and not intended to be used the same. Never, Never did we feel the conditions were beyond the ability of our ST34. For a coastal cruiser - the price point and value, in our opinion, are execptional.

We traded up last Oct to a ST44.

Good luck and enjoy YOUR ST34 - it will give you tears for service and enjoyment.

JOEBAD -

My Captain and I had our ST 34 for 3 + years. Trips from NYC to Washington DC - Ocean, Bay and ICW and we both never had an issue with performance, seaworthness or quality. It is not a Nordy, GB, etc - and not intended to be used the same. Never, Never did we feel the conditions were beyond the ability of our ST34. For a coastal cruiser - the price point and value, in our opinion, are execptional.

We traded up last Oct to a ST44.

Good luck and enjoy YOUR ST34 - it will give you tears for service and enjoyment.

The fact you traded up to another ST says you were definitely a happy customer.

Most boat owners put less than 100 hours per year on their engines so buying a 15 year old boat, AS LONG AS IT HAS BEEN MAINTAINED, is buying a boat that has been nicely broken in with way less capital outlay.

Even with a new boat on warranty, unless you stay close to the dealer for the warranty period, you will still have to be handy and still fix things, just like the talk about valves on a Beneteau and just like an old boat. I toured a brand new Nordic Tug a while ago and it had only single cheap hose clamps below the waterline. That sort of thing. Plastic through-hulls?

Having said that, if the boat has been neglected or there are no maintenance records it might be a project.

You are exactly right! Nothing occupies my time more meaningfully than looking through old and custom boats. I scan the internet and the forums just to get a look at specs, details, and photos of boats that are for sale. Because there are so many custom boats out there too this is an interesting pasttime. I seem to really like the trawler types because I like fuel economy, walk-around the outsides, dual helms, and general liveability, but also some of the big fishing battlewagons display amazing craftsmanship and sit beautiful on the water (but ooh do they suck down the fuel!). My toolbox that I put together for my boat, from researching articles about necessary tools to have on board, is now up to 75 pounds! Getting ready this year has been a blast. I will still be working from my boat (computer and cell phone) so I didn't have the time for refurbishing a boat, otherwise I might have gone for a Grand Banks or even a Mainship from the past. Some Albins I found were pretty interesting too. I had to decide if we were going to do it, I need to guarantee two things; 1. That my wife will like this, and 2. That for at least the next 3 years I can still work some as we transition our company to our kids. That means when I travel, she is staying on the boat with the dogs, and I needed to make sure things were fully functional at all times during those events. Thus I went for new. And the dealer is within a few hours if I need them (hopefully not).

Since the topic of cheap valves has been brought up regarding new Beneteau boats, I will inspect the valves used on my boat when it is delivered and report back to this forum as people should know what are going into the new boats these days. My research showed that Beneteau updates their boats every year with improvemenets and that they use top quality equipment throughout their boats but this may be an exception. I saw on the boat I ordered, Raymarine's latest digital equipment, Lewmar windlass, a very strong rail system (best I saw on any boat that I reviewed), Cummins or Volvo diesels, Onan Cummins generator, AGM batteries, and my inspection of things like hoses, clamps, electrical apparatus, pumps, etc. that all was best available equipment. So I will provide a report back once I see what is used.

Unless they changed things within the last few months, they do not use seacocks. They use nickel plated brass ball valves on brass throughulls and worse yet the ball valve are NPT while the throughulls are NPS. Unfortunately all of this is within CE Standards.

Of course they are NPS, that is required for a bulkhead fitting because you want to tighten the bulkhead to sandwich the hull, so NPT wouldn't allow a proper compression and fit. But valves of course are NPT. You can thread male NPT into NPS as the threads are the same spacing and pitch, or better yet get an adaptor nipple, NPS on one end and NPT on the other. But you probably already know that. I am sure Beneteau uses the NPS/NPT nipple. There is too much risk of a leak or stripped thread putting the NPT into the NPS.

Of course they are NPS, that is required for a bulkhead fitting because you want to tighten the bulkhead to sandwich the hull, so NPT wouldn't allow a proper compression and fit. But valves of course are NPT. You can thread male NPT into NPS as the threads are the same spacing and pitch, or better yet get an adaptor nipple, NPS on one end and NPT on the other. But you probably already know that. I am sure Beneteau uses the NPS/NPT nipple. There is too much risk of a leak or stripped thread putting the NPT into the NPS.

Take a look at the third photo down on Compass Marines website and see if you think NPS to NPT is still ok. Then think about how soft brass and the inevitable corrosion would stand up to that kind of fit.

A proper bronze, flanged seacock is NPS to accept an NPS bronze throughull.

Interesting. NPS, NPT, meaning what?

Interesting. NPS, NPT, meaning what?

NPT = tapered thread.
NPS = straight thread.

PS to Joebad ..... I've never seen an NPS/NPT adapter used on a Beneteau product and if they did, that would make the situation even worse with the leverage factor.

Back
Top Bottom