Vietnam Boat Builders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mako

Guru
Does anyone have experience with any of the boat or ship buildings in Vietnam?

Last edited:
Anything ever come of that build? Hope it's not just sitting there.

I've heard they are junk.

fvqnfvouqd.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist a bad joke.

Marty,
Sorry?
Wha-fo?
You hate the term woodenboat. Remember?:D

I hope someone takes over this build . Beautiful woodwork . I like the jig/fixture they used for laminating the curves and the way they faired the hull.
Great pictures and good read .

Thank you for the link on a great build with a sad ending...luc passed away and the project is just sitting :(

Yes, it is really sad that boat is just sitting there. It looks like the workers were doing excellent work on the boat and it is a shame for that boat to be incomplete. Very sad. She is a work of art.

Later,
Dan

I did a few sail boats a few years ago in Vietnam. FRP construction.

The yard did a great job all and all but needed allot of direction on systems installation and electrical.

Steve Forest

Last edited:
Touring shipyards

I'm in Nam now touring shipyards (not yacht builders). Have visited two so far and the machinery, equipment, worker skills, training programs and overall quality of craftsmanship are excellent. ISO certified and they both build to most international standards with full surveys-inspections taking place by the Class inspectors.

I've chosen one to work up a quotation with, but am still checking other builders.

Last edited:
I'm in Nam now touring shipyards (not yacht builders). Have visited two so far and the machinery, equipment, worker skills, training programs and overall quality of craftsmanship are excellent. ISO certified and they both build to most international standards with full surveys-inspections taking place by the Class inspectors.

I've chosen one to work up a quotation with, but am still checking other builders.

Great to hear please start a thread of your adventure!!!!

What type of vessel, size and material? Please keep us posted on your progress. :)

Commercial trawler plans being modified and reconfigured as a personal cruiser. 50ft X 16ft X 6ft. Originally 60 tons max displacement, but will be redesigned lighter to somewhere between 45 - 50 tons. All steel. Single diesel. ABS classification.

That's assuming the yard comes back with a cost within budget :)

Commercial trawler plans being modified and reconfigured as a personal cruiser. 50ft X 16ft X 6ft. Originally 60 tons max displacement, but will be redesigned lighter to somewhere between 45 - 50 tons. All steel. Single diesel. ABS classification.

That's assuming the yard comes back with a cost within budget :)

You may wish to have the boat built to ABS but not actually have it classed. The cost difference can be quite significant. We are working through that right now on a 70' project.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom