Raymarine vs Garmin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeM

Vessel Name
Tuscan Sun
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
I got a few responses to my question about the Raymarine Control app, but I'm hoping for some more feedback so that I can decide whether to keep and install the Raymarine A98 MFD that I have purchased.

My plan was to put it on the flybridge and use a tablet to control/view it with the Raymarine app from the pilothouse. One thing I didn't do before making the purchase was check into the app and find out how well it worked. Now that I've done that, I'm hearing some good, but more bad.

So I am hoping for more feedback on the Raymarine Control app and also wondering if the Garmin Helm app is any better.

Thanks, Mike

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

What bad?

Mine works fine...maybe there are a few things about it that people whish were different but for just simple navigation.

One thing I would guess is that it is just a mirror...you can't do other stuff without actually changing what the MFD is doing.

Unless you get feedback from someone with both...it is a lot like any brand loyalty...be suspect of anything but very specific complaints and get a few identical complaints before taking it to heart.

Can you take a tablet to a marine electronics store and try both? May be the only thing to satisfy you completely.

Last edited:
What bad?

Mine works fine...maybe there are a few things about it that people whish were different but for just simple navigation.

One thing I would guess is that it is just a mirror...you can't do other stuff without actually changing what the MFD is doing.

Unless you get feedback from someone with both...it is a lot like any brand loyalty...be suspect of anything but very specific complaints and get a few identical complaints before taking it to heart.

Can you take a tablet to a marine electronics store and try both? May be the only thing to satisfy you completely.

I talked to a couple of people this weekend who have trouble getting the app to connect at all.

Your suggestion is a great one. I wonder if I could do that. I saw the Garmin app work at West Marine, but I'm not sure if it's the real thing or a simulation.

Mike Metts
KK 42-165
Virginia Beach, VA

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

My Gain Helm app works fine gives me full control of MFD via wifi.

Back
Top Bottom