Cummins 2002 6B 330 hp Exhaust Mixing Elbow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I just purchased this boat that has 2900 hour on the engine. The first 1500 was in fresh water. The second was the last four years in both fresh and salt. My question is when should the exhaust mixing elbow be replaced? If now is a good time to disassemble and inspect it, do the bolts have a torque spec when reassembling?

Much depends on which type it is and how it is oriented. Some are cast stainless, some are welded stainless. If the welded type is oriented where it can hold water in the jacket on shutdown, they corrode internally and cause big issues. If aimed where they drain on shutdown, they can last the life of the engine. The cast ones are better, but rarer. Lots of custom ones made by others than Cummins, those could be anything.

Post a photo of the mixer installed. And maybe a few more showing general layout of exhaust piping in engine room.

If you take it off, take a photo of inside of turbine exit.

Operator's manual I think has torque table for std metric bolts. Probably around 18ftlb for M8.

I had a 2000 Nordic Tug 42 with this engine. I replaced mine when I saw a pin hole leak on the underside of the elbow. Tried some JB Weld first but it didn't stick long. I had about 2,000 hours at the time.

If you don't know Don DeRudder, the Punta Gorda Cummins guru, you should. He was lead Cummins tech at the dealer in Ft, Myers for 17 years and lives in Punta Gorda.

Call him and ask your questions. Nice guy. 239-633-6862...cell.

What Ski said. Now is the time toget the exhaust right. Some installers used a cummins elbow improperly.

I had a 2000 Nordic Tug 42 with this engine. I replaced mine when I saw a pin hole leak on the underside of the elbow. Tried some JB Weld first but it didn't stick long. I had about 2,000 hours at the time.

If you don't know Don DeRudder, the Punta Gorda Cummins guru, you should. He was lead Cummins tech at the dealer in Ft, Myers for 17 years and lives in Punta Gorda.

Call him and ask your questions. Nice guy. 239-633-6862...cell.

Hey thanks for the phone number

Much depends on which type it is and how it is oriented. Some are cast stainless, some are welded stainless. If the welded type is oriented where it can hold water in the jacket on shutdown, they corrode internally and cause big issues. If aimed where they drain on shutdown, they can last the life of the engine. The cast ones are better, but rarer. Lots of custom ones made by others than Cummins, those could be anything.

Post a photo of the mixer installed. And maybe a few more showing general layout of exhaust piping in engine room.

If you take it off, take a photo of inside of turbine exit.

Operator's manual I think has torque table for std metric bolts. Probably around 18ftlb for M8.

When we get the boat home in November I will take a look at the unit from the inside. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom