Smallest Generator?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HopCar

Guru
Vessel Name
Possum
Vessel Make
Ellis 28
I've decided to spend some money on Possum and I'm considering installing a real generator. I can make do with my little Honda but I'd like a real generator.
I'd like to find one that I could put in place of one of my 25 gallon water tanks.
It would need to be able to be serviced from one side and as small as possible in a sound shield. Oh yeah, diesel.

Any suggestions?

I'd look at a 3.5 Phasor unit, we had one in the Camano it was a small one banger in a sound shield. We also set it up to be fed via a March pump thinking of the belt driven one ever went out in that small little sounds shield salt water would be flung everywhere.

There are several 4KW and under marine gensets: Fischer-Panda, Phasor, Entec West, NextGen. The latter three, use the one cylinder Kubota engine which is rock solid and drives the generator with a belt so they run at lower than 3,600 rpm. The Fischer Panda uses the one cylinder Farymann engine running at 3,600 rpm.

Any of these should be able to start and run a marine air conditioner and one other 1,500 watt appliance like a water heater.

David

Tough one. The 3kw belt drive ones are a bit rough and noisy, but pretty reliable. The 4kw Farymanns are POS's. The 5kw Northern lights is the cat's meow, but probably too big and heavy for your 28. Expensive too.

Probably the best go is the Phasor belt drive. Just don't expect it to be silky smooth and quiet.

I've decided to spend some money on Possum and I'm considering installing a real generator. I can make do with my little Honda but I'd like a real generator.
I'd like to find one that I could put in place of one of my 25 gallon water tanks.
It would need to be able to be serviced from one side and as small as possible in a sound shield. Oh yeah, diesel.

Any suggestions?

i had a 2cyl 4 kw northen lights and it did great not to loud and ran at 1800 rpm,after the storm here in fl yrs ago i ran it for 13 days straight and no problem i did not have it closed in. it ran my air no problem and water heater

I don't think Northern Lights makes a two cylinder?? Smallest is a 4.5kW, three cyl. Could be wrong though.

I had a 4 KW Kolher with Faryman diesel engine installed in my Camano @ 3600 rpm it sounded "stressed" but ran fine the 3 years I owned it. The OEM sound shield worked well too. The Faryman was raw water cooled, never had probems with that either but only had it for 3 years.

I had a 4 KW Kolher with Faryman diesel engine installed in my Camano @ 3600 rpm it sounded "stressed" but ran fine the 3 years I owned it. The OEM sound shield worked well too. The Faryman was raw water cooled, never had probems with that either but only had it for 3 years.

Where was yours installed? We installed our phaser in the lazz. Every time I walk into our engine room I'm thankful, that Camano's engine compartment was small for a kid!

Tough one. The 3kw belt drive ones are a bit rough and noisy, but pretty reliable. The 4kw Farymanns are POS's. The 5kw Northern lights is the cat's meow, but probably too big and heavy for your 28. Expensive too.

Probably the best go is the Phasor belt drive. Just don't expect it to be silky smooth and quiet.

Just curious, what's the problem with the Farymanns. I've got one and so far (5 years) no problems at all. Just lucky maybe but interested.

Parks
Read the reviews of these light weight gens. Phaser wasn't a leader in quality (as per reviews which I haven't followed in a few years). Clearly the Northern lights gen were the best , but that is certainly overkill in your usage. The Next gens have had good reviews on quality and service. They are also right up the road from you.
In the interest of full disclosure. I haven't used any of these gens and haven't kept up with the literature or reviews for the last few years. I did seriously research these several years ago for a project that never happened. YMMV.

Thanks guys! I would really like a Northern Lights but I think it will be a budget buster. The Phasor and Next Gen look like possibilities.
It looks like they both use the same engine. Do we like it?

Thanks guys! I would really like a Northern Lights but I think it will be a budget buster. The Phasor and Next Gen look like possibilities.

It looks like they both use the same engine. Do we like it?

Ours ran great the time we had it no complaints. Powered a 50A batt charger and 16000BTU AC.

Thanks Oliver. That would be plenty of power for me. 5000 BTU AC and 40 amp charger.

"What about a DC generator? They are diesel and small.... "
I don't have a problem with that but who makes them and are they any lighter or smaller than the AC generators I'm looking at?

A DC generator has its place. But to be effective you need a large house bank, about 1000 AH to stay within the 25% of AH capacity charging rule of thumb to match the Panda's 220 A continuous output. And for a trawler with a decent alternator, the house bank gets recharged by the main engine if you don't stay in one place long.

I have the NextGen 3.5 and it works fine. Vibration isn't so bad and sound is reasonable but not great with the sound shield. But the putt putt sound will be annoying for anyone anchored right behind you, but not bad for you.

We use ours for about 1/2 hour in the evening to heat up the hot water heater and for anything on the stove. Also again in the morning for coffee and maybe a few minutes of microwaving. Although it will run the 12,000 btu A/C we don't use it for that here in Ct.

David

Last edited:
Unfortunately none of the readily available less than 4-4.5Kw units are 1800's. As mentioned the Kubota that most of these units use is as bullet proof as a small diesel gets.
Get the sound-shield. They are all expensive, the sales guy may say you don't need it, get the sound-shield.
Spend a few more bucks and install secondary isolators under the unit. For little units like this we're talking around $100 for 4 units. Makes a difference in vibration transmission. I think F-Panda already has secondary isolation.
Consider a separator for the exhaust in addition to the lift muffler that will come with the unit. Will make it very quiet outside.
The Northern Lights units set the bar and you get what you pay for. I like Phasor.
If you can find an 1800 unit in your budget and that will fit, there's your choice.

:socool:

I don't think Northern Lights makes a two cylinder?? Smallest is a 4.5kW, three cyl. Could be wrong though.
you are right ski now that i think abut it mine was 4.5 3cyl, had it in the boat for nine yrs and never had a problem oil changes thats all

Where was yours installed? We installed our phaser in the lazz. Every time I walk into our engine room I'm thankful, that Camano's engine compartment was small for a kid!

I mounted mine on a bent piece of aluminum plate between the engine and the Lazz. The muffler was in the lazz. I did cut an access port into the lazz. floor to access the Tides Shaft Seal from there.

Attachments

• Bent base plate.jpg
    Bent base plate.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 104
  • Kohler in Place.jpg
    Kohler in Place.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 116
  • Generator Waterlift.jpg
    Generator Waterlift.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 117
Just curious, what's the problem with the Farymanns. I've got one and so far (5 years) no problems at all. Just lucky maybe but interested.

A few issues:

1. They run at 3600rpm. This causes a lot of vibration and things shake loose and break. Probably wear faster too, but few log enough hours to really test durability.

2. Noise. While they may not rank that high on a dB meter, the noise quality is offensive, at least to me. A high note "buzz" vs a "purr" of a 1800 3cyl.

3. Water intrusion. Chronic problem on some, especially the Panda. Theory is that on shutdown, engine kicks backward off compression on last rev and sucks wet exhaust into cylinders. Valves and piston/liner corrode.

4. Panda specific: If water leaks inside enclosure, wet insulation in contact with oil pan rots it out.

5. Control systems- Most using this engine have strange controls that are difficult to troubleshoot when they don't work.

When I was deep in the generator business, we had a small pile of dead Pandas.

Not all the brands using the Farymann engine came into the shop as failures, but there are enough downsides to avoid them.

On some boats the size/weight benefit of these made them the only viable option. I simply refused to install one as I did not want an unsatisfied customer down the road. Those boats went elsewhere. This was for new installs, if it was already in there we would try to fix it or replace with a better unit.

Last edited:
I will add one more damnation of the small Panda. When the raw water seal fails, and it will, unlike other engines where the water simply drips from a weep hole, the one on the Panda will sling it everywhere. It is like a salt water mist everywhere. If you don't catch it quickly, the salt water will soon corrode the whole thing to junk.

My dock buddy had that happen to his Back Cove 29. Unfortunately nothing else would fit, not even one of the 3.5 KW Kubota based gensets. He spent more than $10,000 to replace it. Frankly I damn Back Cove about as much as Panda for causing that.

David

I mounted mine on a bent piece of aluminum plate between the engine and the Lazz. The muffler was in the lazz. I did cut an access port into the lazz. floor to access the Tides Shaft Seal from there.

That is some great engineering Steve!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Oh ok. We got ours between the two stringers in the Lazz, had to modify the sound shield but it fit like a glove.

Yes, just search for panda reviews and user experience, especially on cruisers forum. It will cure you of any urge to even consider buying one.

I had one of these on my last boat (it was branded as a Mastervolt then). 3600 rpm with a Kubota motor. I had the soundshield, exhaust separator, and anti-vibration plate. Worked reliably except for once when the strainer filled with jellyfish and it shut itself down (ate the impeller). Not as quiet or vibration free as my current Onan 9KW, but the little one did the job it was intended to do.

Diesel Generator 3.5kW high rpm (USA) - MARINE

Back
Top Bottom