HEAD Issues!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

knotheadcharters

Vessel Name
Amar la Vida
Vessel Make
1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Alright, I am having a problem that boggles my mind. I have 3 Raritan Crown Head II's in my boat. The mid-berth head and the master stateroom head work great. The VIP forward I cannot get the toilet to draw water. I have removed all the lines looking for any blockage, but none. I have changed the impeller and tore the whole thing down. I even tried to prime the hoses to no avail. Really frustrating. I'm thinking of ripping it out and installing a manual pump head. Anyone else ever have the same issue. The intake is not blocked and the thru-hull is strictly dedicated to that head with only about a 5-6 foot run.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Are you sure you don't have a plastic bag or something blocking the throughhull on the bottom of the boat? Check it at the strainer with the hose detached.

That was the first thing I checked. I even ran a wire snake from one end of the hose to the other as most of it runs under the galley and not accessible. took the hose off and got good flow from the seacock. Its a real brain teaser.

Try an alternate water source...impellers these days look good...but there are a lot of reports that there is one tiny thing different about them and they don't all work.

Last edited:
try running some clear plastic tygon hose from the pump inlet from a bucket of water. If it sucks the water out of the bucket, good chance you have air leaking into the old suction line. now take the end out of the bucket and connect it diectly to the seacock outlet and try a flush.

Now that's thinking!

Good idea High wire, she flushes fine when I pour water into the bowl, it's just on the suction side.

I like Highwire's idea that it may be an air leak on the intake.
If you still need help on Monday, call Mac McCoy at Raritan's Ft. Lauderdale warehouse.

It sounds like you have the original Crown head not the Crown II. The Crown II uses a remote pump to supply the flush water and it doesn't have an impeller.

The Crown toilet used a little plastic body, rubber impeller pump mounted on the rear of the motor. The plastic housing can wear out over time and you need to replace the pump.

The part number is CH102MW. The pump still shows in the Raritan price list. It will probably cost about $160.00.

This is the description from the parts list: CROWN HEAD PUMP ASSEMBLY, POST-JAN.1988. How old is the toilet?

Try High Wire's idea before you resort to a new pump.

Boat is an 89. I imagine all original. Yes, I have found those items on Amazon for a little less. I guess I do have the original Crown as that is the set up I have. I don't believe the housing is worn as the impeller is snug but at this point anything is possible

Boat is an 89. I imagine all original. Yes, I have found those items on Amazon for a little less. I guess I do have the original Crown as that is the set up I have. I don't believe the housing is worn as the impeller is snug but at this point anything is possible

Before I'd put $150 + into a dinosaur that draws 36 amps, needs 1-3 gallons/flush and makes enough noise to wake the dead--and almost certainly needs a rebuild too (another $90), I'd spend $400 or less for a SeaEra "conversion" SeaEra Conversion Kit that replaces everything south of the bowl. Available in both sea water and fresh water version, draws only 10-15 amps, needs only about 2 quarts of flush water, and makes very little noise...the fresh water version is especially quiet.

Hopkins Carter is a Raritan dealer...ask Parks to give you a quote for one.

Thanks for the plug Peggie! Can we talk about your book news yet?

Thanks Peggy, I will look into that option!

Parks... Peggie - You guys are great! I've two of the orig Crowns. Copied input from your posts and placed it in my "TollyPidia" resource folder. Over 100 pages of categorized "boat-fixen" entries.

Happy Head Daze! - Art

And of course - Happy 4th O' July!!

PS: When I went into "Head" section of TollyPidia... I found over 6 pages already in place. Most had copy/helpful hints from Peggie! God Luv Her!

Last edited:
The Crown Head is a great toilet--an all but indestructable workhorse...one of the first macerating electric toilet, introduced by Raritan in 1968. It's the only toilet I'd recommend for use on a "Deadliest Catch" fishing trawler or a tug in NY harbor. But advances in toilet technology have turned it into a dinosaur for the recreational boat market. Today there are a dozen toilets--several of which are also Raritan products--that use less than half the power and water needed by the Crown and make a fraction of the noise. It just no longer makes sense to fill up holding tanks with flush water and drain batteries in a day without a generator.

For years, Raritan had what they called a Lower Unit Exchange Program, which swapped out a worn out "works" for a rebuilt one...the price was about $350 in the 1990s. Then, in 1991 or '92 they introduced the SeaEra, which is what really turned the Crown into a dinosaur. Raritan recognized that and began offering the SeaEra "conversion" as an exchange unit for worn out Crowns (and may still do that)...and had a lot of takers. But there were--and still are--just enough "old farts" for whom the Crown Head is the ONLY head to keep it in production.

The Crown II was developed in response to those who wanted a dinosaur that uses pressurized fresh water...it does make considerably less noise, but that's the only thing to recommend it...the sea water version requires a separate remote intake pump.

And now y'all know more about the Crown Head than you prob'ly wanted to know. :socool: Hope you're enjoying a safe and happy 4th!

The Crown Head is a great toilet--an all but indestructable workhorse...one of the first macerating electric toilet, introduced by Raritan in 1968. It's the only toilet I'd recommend for use on a "Deadliest Catch" fishing trawler or a tug in NY harbor. But advances in toilet technology have turned it into a dinosaur for the recreational boat market. Today there are a dozen toilets--several of which are also Raritan products--that use less than half the power and water needed by the Crown and make a fraction of the noise. It just no longer makes sense to fill up holding tanks with flush water and drain batteries in a day without a generator.

For years, Raritan had what they called a Lower Unit Exchange Program, which swapped out a worn out "works" for a rebuilt one...the price was about $350 in the 1990s. Then, in 1991 or '92 they introduced the SeaEra, which is what really turned the Crown into a dinosaur. Raritan recognized that and began offering the SeaEra "conversion" as an exchange unit for worn out Crowns (and may still do that)...and had a lot of takers. But there were--and still are--just enough "old farts" for whom the Crown Head is the ONLY head to keep it in production.

The Crown II was developed in response to those who wanted a dinosaur that uses pressurized fresh water...it does make considerably less noise, but that's the only thing to recommend it...the sea water version requires a separate remote intake pump.

And now y'all know more about the Crown Head than you prob'ly wanted to know. :socool: Hope you're enjoying a safe and happy 4th!

Hi Guys and Peg,
We have just bought an old 43 Gulf star and wondering is it just better to change these Raritons out with a Dometic 5g. What are your thoughts on this and also what is the best brand for portables?
Thanks and loving the Trawler forum!
Capstan

Hi Guys and Peg,
We have just bought an old 43 Gulf star and wondering is it just better to change these Raritons out with a Dometic 5g. What are your thoughts on this and also what is the best brand for portables? Thanks and loving the Trawler forum!Capstan

I wouldn't put portables on any boat larger than about 23'...I don't think even the "MSD" (versions designed to permanently installed and plumbe for pumpout) are really appropriate for most boats over abou 28'. So my recommendation: replace the "lower units" with SeaEra conversions (everything south of the bowl) --sea water or pressurized fresh, your choice--and enjoy a very nice toilet! The newest incarnation of the SeaEra is the QC version : SeaEra QC

Capstan,

I was looking into replacing the old Crowns on my Californian with a vacuflush system (most of my experience has been with Sealand.) Talked to Peggie and she highly recommended Raritan's Marine Elegance heads. Best advice I ever got. Quiet, efficient, and they seem to be bulletproof. Thanks again Peggie!

ERIC

I wouldn't put portables on any boat larger than about 23'...I don't think even the "MSD" (versions designed to permanently installed and plumbe for pumpout) are really appropriate for most boats over abou 28'. So my recommendation: replace the "lower units" with SeaEra conversions (everything south of the bowl) --sea water or pressurized fresh, your choice--and enjoy a very nice toilet! The newest incarnation of the SeaEra is the QC version : SeaEra QC

Thanks Peg for the quick reply and putting my head in the right direction. (Pun intended):socool:
Been reading for the last couple of hours and it seems you are held in very high esteem!!
Will take your advice and get on with it.
Capstan

Capstan, you should buy Peggie's book. It has a wealth of information about this very important subject.
I like Peggie's idea of just buying the Sea Era conversion kit. No reason to buy new bowls. I vote for the fresh water flush version. It's quiet and eliminates one source of odor.

Thanks Peg for the quick reply and putting my head in the right direction. (Pun intended):socool:
Been reading for the last couple of hours and it seems you are held in very high esteem!!
Will take your advice and get on with it.
Capstan

Thus her fully deserved moniker - "HeadMistress"! :D

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom