I see a wide variety of boats here, so what exactly makes a boat a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if Boeing uses any marketing hype?

And in what fomats?

I await your deliberations.

Well, you know what I'm going to say. Not one of them is a trawler, recreational or not. No trawl gear, no trawler no matter how much you want to try to pretend otherwise.

But.... there are some in your photos that are very much inspired by the types of boats that are used for trawling. Mostly in terms of the hull; the house is just there to keep the rain out of your face so it doesn't much matter what it looks like.

The displacement cabin cruisers like the Nordhavn have incorporated a number of hull features from commercial fishing boats, some of which could have been trawlers but could also have been seiners, crabbers, gillnetters, or combination boats.

Nice collection of photos, by the way.

I wonder if Boeing uses any marketing hype?

And in what fomats?

Oh God, yes. We are locked in marketing hype battles with Airbus all the time. Airbus actually is much better at it than we are. This is not an aviation forum so I'm not going to get into the details but for the most part it's about how we spin numbers. It's not that the numbers are being made up--- they're not---but it's how the numbers are presented.

Cabin interiors is another area where marketing plays a huge competitive role as far as our commercial products are concerned.

As to formats, we use them all. I'm involved in the video production aspect of our marketing efforts, but we use print, interactive media, computer generated imagery and animation, still photography, graphic design, trade magazine ads, our own publications that are distributed to our customers, and live presentations, many of which are supported by visuals (video, photos, CGI, PowerPoint, etc.)

Last edited:
Wonder how the term liner crossed over from ships to planes...guess it was because they both followed routes or otherwise known as "lines".....

Or was it just a natural evolution of language for us stupid, lazy a**es...:D

Wonder how the term liner crossed over from ships to planes...guess it was because they both followed routes or otherwise known as "lines".....

Ocean liner, airliner. Your question of the origin of "liner" as used to describe passenger ships is a good one. I don't know the answer but it would be a nice thing to find out.

Last edited:
I really can't think of a better place to ask for opinions. I have owned Boomarang several years now, and for some reason, I still have trouble determining what to call her. Mostly, it depends on who is asking, but rest assured, almost everyone asks what she is. Mostly, I just call her a "motorboat" or "pleasure boat". I have heard it said that Willards and Fales are "pocket trawlers" but that sounds like pure marketing hype. I suppose the term "diesel cruiser" would be pretty accurate.

What would you, my friends and fellow boaters suggest? :)

Attachments

• IMG_0136.jpg
    IMG_0136.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 58
I say it's like a fishing boat w no fishing gear.

Call it whatever you think will do the best job of describing it to people who don't know anything about your boat, and use a term or a phrase that you think will give them an accurate idea of what your boat does and is used for.

Or put a photo of your boat on your phone and simply show it to them. Then you don't have to say anything.:)

I really can't think of a better place to ask for opinions. I have owned Boomarang several years now, and for some reason, I still have trouble determining what to call her. Mostly, it depends on who is asking, but rest assured, almost everyone asks what she is. Mostly, I just call her a "motorboat" or "pleasure boat". I have heard it said that Willards and Fales are "pocket trawlers" but that sounds like pure marketing hype. I suppose the term "diesel cruiser" would be pretty accurate.

Larry I have to say that Boomarang is one of the best looking boats here on the Forum .

I, on the other hand, have an ego very much attached to the trawler term. I set out to buy a trawler-cat, and if I couldn't do that, I'd get a trawler, so I ended up with this one in my Avatar. I keep a trawler net ready on the upper deck rail which is ready to dispatch at a moments notice, This feature addresses some of the arguments for trawler qualification. Additionally, I've removed my genset from the hatch under the galley and formed a fish hold where I keep a minimum of one fish all the time, also addressing some of the arguments. I could trawl anytime.....and I keep a stack of lead weights on the dock to also add weight if need be to resolve that issue. If any of you say I don't have a trawler, I'll just don't know how I'd deal with that.

Attachments

• fish hold.jpg
    fish hold.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 59
  • trawler net.jpg
    trawler net.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 56
Can't fool me...looks more like a purse seine than an otter trawl or pair trawl........maybe a gil net....have a net cage on your dingy's prop?

You conformist ..you....:D

Call it whatever you think will do the best job of describing it to people who don't know anything about your boat, and use a term or a phrase that you think will give them an accurate idea of what your boat does and is used for.

Or put a photo of your boat on your phone and simply show it to them. Then you don't have to say anything.:)

Marin,

Actually, after a few drinks, I use the term "yacht" to describe it to people who have never seen it, and are never likely to . . . . . :D

I'm thinking the new classification for my boat will be "Coastal Explorer".

Ted

Hey Eric like man Memphis is like where I'm from . And I'm like you know a hillbilly and you still have not told me what my boat is . I do have enough room in the old fish hold for like a small diesel and stuff .I have like a small diesel generator down there now and room for like for a couple more . I need know like what to call my boat when people you know like ask me stuff and I won't like argue with you or anything .:)

Come on PM, you know there are no hills around Memphis.:D Wanna see some hills come over my way.

Come on PM, you know there are no hills around Memphis.:D Wanna see some hills come over my way.

It's true, Marty. Not only does Don have more hills, there's a Bob Evans biscuit and sausage gravy dispenser in every gas station and convenience store.

Attachments

• bob evans dispensers.jpg
    bob evans dispensers.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 264
Nope, still scared to use the term, words don't change in meaning. :ermm:

No telling what rules will be broken if we go allowing the meaning of words to change, can you imagine the inhumanity.

Cats and dogs living together, mass hysteria!

Greetings,
Mr. W. Actually he (Mr. SCOTTE) didn't really misuse the word gunnel

Well would you look at that. I learned something new today! I stand corrected.

and for some reason, I still have trouble determining what to call her.

I'd call her absolutely charming.

Additionally, I've removed my genset from the hatch under the galley and formed a fish hold where I keep a minimum of one fish all the times If any of you say I don't have a trawler, I'll just don't know how I'd deal with that.

:rofl::rofl:
Bucky Wins the Internet!

The Original poster asked the simple question.

" What makes a boat a trawler ".

I clumsily attempted to answer the question by referring to a type of vessel which works to catch sea food and is generally f d and usually slow through the water.

That is to paraphrase an answer for T Dunn.

But Lordy bless everyone if the post and answers did not degenerate into a discussion about whose boat is or is not a trawler and the hundreds of reasons for or against.

It seems the anchor / twins question is not the catalyst for fisty debate but simply asking a question is.

We are an amazing species, with so much to share good heartedly with our fellow mankind.

T Dunns question was succinct and to the point but the answer is always most difficult.

I am sure T Dunn found a gem in all this chaff to satisfy his curiosity and cure him of ever asking another question as simply as that one.

I hope no one ever asks why the sky is blue. lmao But I know the answer to that one so I wont be asking it.

Regards.

David.

What would you, my friends and fellow boaters suggest?

MOTOR YACHT

Ms BandB has the right idea. The term "trawler" is correct if it helps communicate the intended message. It is the wrong term if it creates confusion.

I enjoy being termed a motorsailer, as this term is more self explanatory than trawler to non-boaters, so I don't have to assess the listener as carefully before saying what type of boat I have.

For those who like to group things neatly, my mast is slightly too long to be a trawler, but not quite long enough to be a sailboat.

Don I hope you never find out what's in the biscuits and gravy just like I'm afraid to know what's in Jack in the Box $0.99 for two tacos.

Merriam-Webster defines a trawler as "a person who trawls or a boat used for trawling."

Don I hope you never find out what's in the biscuits and gravy just like I'm afraid to know what's in Jack in the Box $0.99 for two tacos.

No worries, Eric. I know a Jack in the Box regional manager and he assures me that the taco ingredients are produced under the most stringent quality controls Dow Chemical has created to date.

Last edited:
Marin,
Thank's but how can they make two tacos for 1/15th of minimum wage?

I'm going to search my 1953 Motor Boating magazine for the word trawler. May not find it.

The tacos may be what are called "loss leaders." This term, as I understand it, means a product that is sold at a loss but that helps generate more overall business for a company, or helps build demand for that particular product.

When the Toyota Prius was first introduced in the US it was sold for a tremendous loss. You could buy them for a song. One of my co-workers and her husband bought two of them when they first became available (she still has and drives hers). I think they paid less than $20,000 for each one of them.

As the demand grew, the price began creeping back up and now today they are a profitable product for Toyota.

Eric, at my age I think the only thing holding me together is the glue stuff in that sausage gravy. I am afraid to stop eating it.

You might consider it Don. I think Biscuits and gravy is about the most unhealthy thing you can eat. I've even been reading that Wheat is so bad one should not eat any of it. That's where the sugar is comming from .. not so much the usual places. That's why we Americans are so fat. Two slices of wheat bread = more sugar than a Snickers bar. We're learning so fast about food nutrition that it's hard to find good food to eat.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom