I see a wide variety of boats here, so what exactly makes a boat a trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...your turn for saloon comes up next...". Re-read post #97 about 50 posts ago.

rara.gif

I guess I have to give up my gunnels now thanks to Marin or at least insert a few 12 gauge bear killers into them. :D

Oh, I like this one.

images

Greetings,
Mr. ps. "...your turn for saloon comes up next...". Re-read post #97 about 50 posts ago.

rara.gif

Oh I didn't miss it...you weren't insistent enough...:D

Or in other words...just not loaded for bear....:socool:

here comes a shutdown or a purge....

As long as we are going on about language shift, I'd like to take a poke at WifeyB (no pun intended :) about the use of the word "like". I find it amusing and sometimes endearing, but it does conjure images of a bleach blond surfer girl type twisting her hair with one finger, a slight head tilt, a whimsical look on her face (vapid?) whilst chewing gum and saying "and I was like,,,then she was like,,,". My daughter comes to mind. She is very well educated (PHD at 24) but is very much a girl of her times. She talks just like her age group.

Wifey B: I like like that you know dude....:) Hey I do the blonde beach girl routine fine, except mine isn't bleached. I have a PHD like your daughter but I maintain a certain way of my casual writing and like pops up and dude, you know dude. When I'm posting on a forum I'm not the doctorate, teaching, trying to wear an outfit acceptable in the classroom me. I don't chew gum by the way. Do lick a mean cone of ice cream...maybe picture that instead. I hang with younger a lot and we do spend time with our Brat Pack...hehe. Three 19 year olds. Not our kids...but a lot of time with them. We're very casual at home and on the boat too. Well, mostly. Now last night was not so much. Phantom of the Opera and dinner at db Bistro Moderne.

I use "like" like others use "honestly" or other words. Just habit that I could break but don't want to. I can be a BBBBB and an educator. Why our CFO stripped her way through college. Aren't we all a combo of many parts rather than easily labeled.

So I like have no problem with you poking. Just watch where you poke.

:thumb: You got it. My lobster boat is no longer used to catch lobsters so I guess I have to find a new description for it.

As a resident of almost downeast Maine I have to tell you that your boat is not a lobster boat. It is a lobster yacht. At least that is the terminology here. If you want I will ask Jarvis Newman the next time I see him to get a definitive answer :)

k

As a resident of almost downeast Maine I have to tell you that your boat is not a lobster boat. It is a lobster yacht. At least that is the terminology here. If you want I will ask Jarvis Newman the next time I see him to get a definitive answer :)

Lobster yacht is I believe the common term and I would think trawler yacht is OK with most too.

But people can be lazy or efficient and short for lobster yacht doesn't work as well as trawler yacht.

If you just want to leave them both as yacht..no big deal...but then neither is trawler.

And now for the definitive test. I went down to the marina and took pictures of boats there. The question about each boat is - Is this boat a trawler. Note that no fishing boats were photographed so I am using trawler in the sense of a recreational trawler. Note all of the boats pictured have accommodations for at least a couple.

Here we go.

Boat -1
tortuga_7-2-15.JPG

Boat-2

Boat-3

ellis-28.JPG

Boat-4

hat_60s.JPG

Boat-5

hinckley.JPG

Boat-6

mollymawk.JPG

Not so long ago a guy on the bank of the Miami River called me "Trawler Trash" as I cruised by and added some turbulence to his fishing spot. Knowing now that I wasn't even piloting a "trawler", his reference to such has no basis in fact, thereby relieving me any residual guilt or responsibility surrounding the incident. I feel better now.:ermm:

Here are the rest of the boats for my "is this a trawler?" question.

Boat-7

nordhavn-47-2.JPG

Boat-8

nordhavn_47-1s.JPG

Boat-9

selene_53.JPG

Boat-10

wilbur-1.JPG

Boat-11

wilbur-2s.JPG

Boat-12

zopilote.JPG

I await your deliberations.

Wify B,
The over use of the word "like" is .. like trashy teenybopper lingo.
This forum is like .. adult.
My opinion of you has like tumbled knowing this. You're not like modest w your like essence. Let it like all hang out.

Seriously it's hard not to start talking like all the people around you. When I went to Memphis for several mos my mother almost kicked me out when I came home. Said I like sounded like a hillbilly. See what I mean.

Boats 7,8, 9 and 12 are trawlers ... all others are not.

That's inaccurate.

Maybe not....acting like adult or being adult can be two different things.

I tried acting like and adult once....didn't fit....:D

Just like Trawler and trawling....two different things also.

Hey Eric like man Memphis is like where I'm from . And I'm like you know a hillbilly and you still have not told me what my boat is . I do have enough room in the old fish hold for like a small diesel and stuff .I have like a small diesel generator down there now and room for like for a couple more . I need know like what to call my boat when people you know like ask me stuff and I won't like argue with you or anything .:)

Last edited:
Did Marin get sent to banned camp ?

I don`t think so -he got sent to the other camp where people go that we know are emminently sensible, who we know are correct in what they say, who are far more articulate than most of us and who aren`t afraid to tell those of us who make rediculous statements the truth.

He may have even checked in himself out of pure frustration.

No trawler here. I call it a "Downeast styled" cruiser.

img_345802_0_c18bd55ad32e53ae41b6616724047c35.jpg

I call this a touring car.

img_345802_1_8a5f692f9acf5c30956936d7bbd2628f.jpg

I call this a sports car.

img_345802_2_d7d9149390a8bc779e8b3b3bf87b849d.jpg

You can call them anything you like.:)

Boats 3,5,8 and 9 in my pictures above are actual downeast cruisers (an Ellis, a Hinckley and two Wilburs - all built in Southwest Harbor, ME).

Seriously it's hard not to start talking like all the people around you. When I went to Memphis for several mos my mother almost kicked me out when I came home. Said I like sounded like a hillbilly. See what I mean.

I spent one summer with a cousin in rural NC. I returned home to cosmopolitan city in NC with a changed accent. Now, in speech my wife seldom uses like. Occasionally Valley Girl emerges in a moment of excitement and exclamation such as "Omg is this like for real?"

We've noticed a distinctive change, although not major change, in accent and speech patterns in a girl who moved from Eastern NC to live with us in Fort Lauderdale 2 years ago at the age of 18.

Oh and I can assure you my wife will never complain about being called a teenybopper. She got carded recently in a restaurant and it was a very joyous occasion for her. After, she turned to me and said "surely the waitress didn't really think I needed to be carded?" We don't know. Waitresses do know how to flatter and have happy customers.

Boats 3,5,8 and 9 in my pictures above are actual downeast cruisers (an Ellis, a Hinckley and two Wilburs - all built in Southwest Harbor, ME).

Didn't say "downeast cruiser". I said "downeast styled cruiser". However it was built in South Casco, Maine so . . . . . . call it what you like.

The Nordy's dont elicit "trawler" from me, or most folks for that matter. I'm not taking anything away from them, and I am exceedingly jealous of owners of Nordhaven boats. I would LOVE to own one. Just not my idea of a trawler. Better maybe ? I dont know.

but I feel like Marin Wants to "Marinize" the term trawler, and by Marinize I mean make it whatever he says it should be.

No, I want it to mean what it actually means. It's a fishing term, plain and simple. Anything else is marketing hype, misconstrued, made up, or just plain wrong. I didn't invent the word and I didn't define it. I have no idea what the origin of "trawl" is but it's not rocket science to know what it means and to use it properly.

Krogen, as nice as his boats are, was passing on BS when he called them "trawlers." Based on trawlers, absolutely. Trawler design elements, absolutely. Inspired by trawlers, absolutely. But "trawlers" or "trawler yachts" or "trawler cruisers?" No frickin' way unless he was putting trawl gear on the boats. It's a simple, black-and-white thing.

Basically, what he and all the other "recreation trawler" folks did was call a pig a hippopotamus and the toy-boat crowd fell for it.

Back
Top Bottom