Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hendo quit playing around on the docks and keep grinding away on Axe :thumb::thumb:

Oh righto! Gees ... Lol

I'm glad someone is here to keep me true, straight and honest haha thanks Craigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Trawler Forum

Last edited:
Art-you beat me to it on the anchor in Pic #2. But then again, I guess that sucker can anchor any frickin' place it wants to, anytime it wants to, probably runs its generator 24X7 too.
On why they are there, I think the US has been making a little show of force in the South China Sea due to China's wanting to pretty much claim the entire Sea as its sovereign water.

Haha yeh basically that's what happened mate. The whole Western quayside was cleared for them because they told the pilots we are all berthing together.

I think the real reason is somewhat more mundane sorry guys. We just had the carrier US George Washington in here in Brisbane. They are here for joint exercises with Aussie off the Queensland coast, as some co-operative defence deal we have, is my understanding.

USS George Washington: Nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, 5,500 crew arrive in Brisbane - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I suspect those in Fremantle are there for the same reason, but Matt may know more. Possibly purely coincidental, but I suspect not.

Sorry Peter but they came to see AXE ... Pics to follow hahaha

Righto so once I cleared off those pesky navy folk, I went to the boat shop and bought 60ltrs of Bote Cote resin, 30ltrs of Hardener, 10kgs of Glue/Fillet powder, 5kgs of High Strength glue powder and 100mtrs of 150mm wide 450gsm tape and took it down to AXE. I also took a couple of pics of my glassing yesterday.

Am curious, what does everyone have on their back decks?

I'll be fishing (hooks, blood, scales), diving (tanks, spearguns), drinking (spills) having parties (food, kids) on the decks of AXE.

I'm not putting down teak and I don't want to paint it so I'm going to put carpet on the back deck and hull extension. Has anyone got any other suggestions that is as easy to take care of as Marine Carpet?

Righto so once I cleared off those pesky navy folk, I went to the boat shop and bought 60ltrs of Bote Cote resin, 30ltrs of Hardener, 10kgs of Glue/Fillet powder, 5kgs of High Strength glue powder and 100mtrs of 150mm wide 450gsm tape and took it down to AXE. I also took a couple of pics of my glassing yesterday.

I'll be fishing (hooks, blood, scales), diving (tanks, spearguns), drinking (spills) having parties (food, kids) on the decks of AXE.

I'm not putting down teak and I don't want to paint it so I'm going to put carpet on the back deck and hull extension. Has anyone got any other suggestions that is as easy to take care of as Marine Carpet?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435665332.299968.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435665347.017417.jpg

I'll be drinking (spills) having parties on the decks of AXE.

Scantly clad women... Maybe not all that easy to take care of - but a lot o' fun trying to do so! :thumb: :socool:

holy crap. Now i know why there were guys with big guns on the back ship pointing them at us when i was taking photos; it was a class destroyer! Whoopsies lol

sent from my iphone using trawler forum

lol!

Matt my 2 cents is hang the carpet idea. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the bag o chips. No clue what to put down but I'd lay down pea gravel before I ever carpeted another boat deck. Stuff feels nasty even when it's clean, some sorta solid painted surface is my best guess. Good luck.

Matt my 2 cents is hang the carpet idea. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt and the bag o chips. No clue what to put down but I'd lay down pea gravel before I ever carpeted another boat deck. Stuff feels nasty even when it's clean, some sorta solid painted surface is my best guess. Good luck.

Thanks Craigo.

5- Carpet , 1- pea gravel

Matt, I am afraid I will have to agree with Craig. A nice epoxy paint with nonskid is what I would do. You can make it two tone with a nice pattern.

I'm with Craig, ditch the carpet. Unless your wanting to grow bait. What about that KIwi grip you used earlier on? Put your base coat color down to match the rest of the boat, then mask off the borders and do the Kiwi Grip with a pattern for non skid. The Pea Gravel is just barely above the carpet, but still above.

Another against carpet. You need to be able to just hose it down while fishing as well as at the dock.

I agree Matt. My boat had the teak decks removed, reinforced, then fibreglassed over, then painted in a non-skid finish. It serves very well. The edges and around things like deck fillers are picked out in white, the rest is blue. Looks good - cleans up easily. New models are all done that way in the Clipper Evolution series also. No teak.

Cheers all. Carpet still winning and #1 choice for my needs and requirements. This afternoon I went gangbusters on the 450gsm glass tape and did a heap of glassing which was good. Pretty cold tonight with showers forecasted for tonight and tomorrow so the epoxy might be a bit slow in setting but I'll see how it goes. If dry enough tomorrow after work, I start on filleting. Externally, the goal is to have no square internal corners in exposed areas. They will all have 50mm fillets to avoid water retention and to add to looks

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435746965.059190.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435746977.560088.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747005.266187.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747086.051708.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747116.925131.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747154.142072.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747191.563134.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435747213.263938.jpg

Last edited:
The Blue rubber matting maybe?? Softer underfoot than non-skid paint and easy to hose off. I have carpet on my boat and have no issues hosing it off after each trip.

Cheers

PS. Followed your thread all the way through and what a great effort. When you bring Axe for a trip to Tassie the beers on me :)

The Blue rubber matting maybe?? Softer underfoot than non-skid paint and easy to hose off. I have carpet on my boat and have no issues hosing it off after each trip.

Cheers

PS. Followed your thread all the way through and what a great effort. When you bring Axe for a trip to Tassie the beers on me :)

Hello mate! Yeah I'm still going carpet at this stage. I've had it on all of my boats and haven't had issues, except the odd lure getting stuck on it. I want low care hard wearing non reflective surface. I don't want to be fussing or panicking and having to wear special no scratch covers on shoes or having to wear a welding mask to block out the reflection

It's there to be enjoyed. Carpet will be a dark charcoal Marine Grade with the same style as the beige planked/striped one pictured below.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435752039.267752.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435752055.569109.jpg
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435752075.888334.jpg

Last edited:
Matt me Mate!

Please review this SuperKrete website http://www.super-krete.com/tag/supercrete/ ; regarding an exceptional product line I have used in several instances other than marine. I also plan to use it on our boat in future, when deck coating may be required. Knowing what you do and how you can adapt items to fit your building needs... I believe Super-Krete product's many, many levels of "interactive-mixes" and their extreme durability/usefulness may become your choice for both marine and land-based projects.

Cheers! - Art :speed boat: :thumb:

Hello mate! Yeah I'm still going carpet at this stage. I've had it on all of my boats and haven't had issues, except the odd lure getting stuck on it. I want low care hard wearing non reflective surface. I don't want to be fussing or panicking and having to wear special no scratch covers on shoes or having to wear a welding mask to block out the reflection

It's there to be enjoyed. Carpet will be a dark charcoal Marine Grade with the same style as the beige planked/striped one pictured below.

View attachment 41600
View attachment 41601
View attachment 41602

Very nice choice!!!! :thumb:

It will look great and classy.

Matt me Mate!

Please review this SuperKrete website http://www.super-krete.com/tag/supercrete/ ; regarding an exceptional product line I have used in several instances other than marine. I also plan to use it on our boat in future, when deck coating may be required. Knowing what you do and how you can adapt items to fit your building needs... I believe Super-Krete product's many, many levels of "interactive-mixes" and their extreme durability/usefulness may become your choice for both marine and land-based projects.

Cheers! - Art :speed boat: :thumb:

Heya Art
That stuff sounds very similar to a product I have used when renovating houses over here. Below link FYI

http://www.lanko.com.au/lanko/images/product/Lanko 173 Floor Leveller v1.2.pdf

I wouldn't use this on a boat mate. Too much flexing and it will just crack. Also being self levelling, it will take the fall off my floors lol

That's for the suggestion tho mate!

Very nice choice!!!! :thumb:

It will look great and classy.

Chur Chur. I'll get the ends stitched like the pics to finish off the edges like a factory job I reckon ;-) .... What's tassie like? I was hoping to get over there this year to do an inspection of a Port we operate out of down there with TT Line

Heya Art
That stuff sounds very similar to a product I have used when renovating houses over here. Below link FYI

http://www.lanko.com.au/lanko/images/product/Lanko%20173%20Floor%20Leveller%20v1.2.pdf

I wouldn't use this on a boat mate. Too much flexing and it will just crack. Also being self levelling, it will take the fall off my floors lol

That's for the suggestion tho mate!

I suggest reading/looking on into website. Can be mix-designed to be flexible and not self leveling. At 1/16 to 1/8 inch think tough as nails. Surface finish as preference dictates, and depending on tool-types utilized. It all depends on how items are mixed. Wide choice of internal colors and sprayed or brushed color additives that become topically in-grained deeply into its surface strata after installation.

Last edited:
If you're considering something squishy and stick-on, you might also consider Seadek.com. I did my swim platform with the fake teak stuff about a year ago, and it's holding up well.

I do like that carpet you had picked out though.

If you're considering something squishy and stick-on, you might also consider Seadek.com. I did my swim platform with the fake teak stuff about a year ago, and it's holding up well.

I do like that carpet you had picked out though.

Hope it's not squishy mate. Was thinking it was like a thin rubber/vinyl but yeh I think you may be right. It's probably more like a soft foam. Not what I want either.

Plenty of time to work out a finish that suits my needs and won't look tacky.

Matt
I've got "cut to fit" snap on carpet on my deck and love it. Easy on the footsies, doesn't cook you on a sunny day, I can and do just hose it off. And, if I want/need to, it's easily removable and replaceable.

Matt
I've got "cut to fit" snap on carpet on my deck and love it. Easy on the footsies, doesn't cook you on a sunny day, I can and do just hose it off. And, if I want/need to, it's easily removable and replaceable.

Hi mate. Snap on sounds like a great idea. I was going to trowel on glue and stick it down but some s/steel snaps in the corners would possibly do the job. How far apart are the snap fittings mate?

Matt,
One of my previous boats had a snap in carpet. Binded and was nice on the feet. The snaps were around the edges about ever 2-3 feet. After a few years the carpet started to shrink a bit making it hard to stretch to the snaps. But if yours is gonna be exposed year round, plan on replacing ever couple of years anyway. Being able to remove makes cleaning and drying very easy, both the carpet and the deck. Don't be surprised if you see some fading when you remove the carpet.

Back
Top Bottom