The Navy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N4712

Guru
Vessel Name
Oliver
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
There must be some people on here that have been in the Navy.... I really think i want to join once I can, it combines serving my country along with doing what I love ( electronic navigation, electrical and electronics). I don't know just seems like something that would be great to do. Also being able to travel places, in a big ship none the less! I e always been fascinated by ships and they're systems.

What says the the TF crowd?

Once I can? What's preventing you? What schooling have you completed and how'd you do?

NAVY , great schools , if you can qualify , they will send you as far as you can go.

I learned to fly , so had good job after leaving.

They will guarantee school if you qualify before signing up.

Go for it!

Get an appointment to the Naval Academy and you will get free tuition and a 4 year stay at quaint Annapolis. They will even improve your marching skills.

They will guarantee school if you qualify before signing up.

But, only if the needs of the service don't dictate otherwise. When I was in the Navy a number of guys had signed up with school guarantees but ended up elsewhere as the Navy had other slots it had to fill. Granted, this was during the Vietnam war era. May be different in "peacetime".

It was the most interesting job I've ever had, by far. Also, the worst working conditions and lifestyle. Overall, a good trade-off, though. Do it, you won't regret it. Get a commission, don't enlist.

I'm currently in school!:)

College? High school?

If you're in college and you can afford it, stay there, study hard enough to get good grades, and talk to a recruiter about officer programs after graduation. If you're still in high school and not sure what you'll do afterwards, study hard enough to get good grades and talk to a recruiter about your options. They'll give you a test and let you know what openings they have and what you qualify for.

As others have already said, the Navy is a great place to learn a trade or profession and to gain experience with responsibility that is hard to come by as a junior person in the civilian world, all while seeing the world.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Keep us posted.

You should definitely look into the Naval Academy -- ask your guidance counselor about specifics, but most are admitted based on a congressional appointment. If you want to spend time on the water, and have more civilian-employable skills when you leave, USCG may be a better fit.

College? High school?

If you're in college and you can afford it, stay there, study hard enough to get good grades, and talk to a recruiter about officer programs after graduation. If you're still in high school and not sure what you'll do afterwards, study hard enough to get good grades and talk to a recruiter about your options. They'll give you a test and let you know what openings they have and what you qualify for.

As others have already said, the Navy is a great place to learn a trade or profession and to gain experience with responsibility that is hard to come by as a junior person in the civilian world, all while seeing the world.

Whatever you decide, good luck! Keep us posted.

High School, thanks for the info!

"They will even improve your marching skills."

Marching skills? This is the NAVY !!!

WE were lucky not to cut each others ears off with sword salutes.

Greetings,
Mr. O. The military is a commendable career or career starter wrt educational benefits. Take VERY careful note of post #5. Read it again. Your forte with electronics may be overlooked if the Navy needs a cold weather instructor in Kodiak, Alaska. Once you're in, you're told where to go.

"They will even improve your marching skills."

Marching skills? This is the NAVY !!!

WE were lucky not to cut each others ears off with sword salutes.

And clothes folding! You'll learn how to stow your gear.

Look into the US Navy Nuclear Power School. It's a challenge...

Look into the US Navy Nuclear Power School. It's a challenge...

A great recommendation. It is a long, exacting brain exercise that can be compared with some of the best learning institutions in America. Also they have an officers program in parallel with the core course.

A graduate, upon leaving the Navy, is almost automatically assured a secondary career working in the control units of civilian nuclear power plants.

I was 18 and off the coast of Vietnam, launching A-6 off the pointy end an hoping that not only the crew and plane would return to the Connie.....but that I'd wake up tomorrow morning to do it all over again. Lost a lot of aircrew and many crewmembers during that time and on the way home many months later, I told myself I hope I make it to enjoy a long life.

18 years later, found myself in the midst of Desert Storm and thought, I hope this one isn't as bad as Vietnam. Considering all the conflicts in between Vietnam and the Sandbox, I guess I was lucky, the same couldn't be said for many that didn't come home. I may not remember their names, but I remember their faces and the dreams they had. It's a shame this one has lasted as long as it has, cuz it's my Grandkids that may end up in this one.

I just closed on the sale of my business and now 60, hope to move forward with the Admiral and escape to a little cove for a day or so wherever that cove is, and be grateful that we can. I've paid attention to all those that have influenced me over the years, most of them very positive. Most of them waited too long to retire and enjoy the remaining years.

I also have been fortunate to have Jeff Merrill as not only a friend, but he gets it and his patience has helped us to find the "right boat". Sorry it's taken this long Jeff.

Yep, I move a lot slower, don't see as well at night and can't hear like I use to. I take more breaks now and maybe enjoy that cocktail and a cigar a little more when we are sitting on the fly bridge watching the world turn, but we paid our dues and it's now " our time"!

Your time is when you pull the plug and decide to make the change. I wish you all the best and when you sit back and reflect on your life....I hope you can say....

"It's now our time" , now I hope I live long enough to see it through.

John & Tracey

Also, Been drawing a retirement check for the last 23 years now, so if your inclined to do the time, go officer program....the retirement check is so much better.
I'm typing this on board the Paridice, it doesn't get better.

Should you want to make far more bucks than the military will pay to go to sea ,

1. SUNY Maritime College

www.[B]sunymaritime[/B].edu/

<li class="g">State University of New York Maritime College

Associate of Applied Science, Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Engineering, and Masterof Science degrees. All students at the college also prepare for a ...4.2
    14 Google reviews · Write a review · Google+ page
    6 Pennyfield Ave, Bronx, NY 10465
    (718) 409-7200

<li class="g">State University of New York Maritime College - Wikipedia ...

en.wikipedia.org/.../State_University_of_New_York_Maritime...

Wikipedia

SUNY Maritime College is a maritime college located in the Bronx, New York, United States in historic Fort Schuyler on the Throggs Neck peninsula where the ...‎Overview - ‎History - ‎Regiment of Cadets - ‎At Sea

And if you want to really go to sea for a living; and want every one's favorite uncle to pay for it....

May I present "the service academy with attitude"

http://www.usmma.edu/

I did a hitch in the Navy back in the 60s. The Navy is somewhat like any program, you get out of it what you put into it. Overall, it was a very good thing for me.

Tried to post this earlier, I'd recommend you check out the USMMA, the US Merchant Marine Academy.

Still a service academy, though you also receive a Coast Guard license with your commission.

The Unlimited Masters I've had opportunity to sail with who were graduates, used to refer to it as "the service academy with attitude".

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1433523685.841428.jpg

Should you want to make far more bucks than the military will pay to go to sea:

An interesting article about how SUNY stacks up with the Ivy League It's a pretty solid investment. USMMA is free, but comes with a mandatory commitment to sail for 6 years (I think)

Olly, If you have any questions about SUNY, please feel free to contact me. I graduated in '06. I'm sure some of what i remember still applies. They have an NROTC program there as well, so you can get a commission that way, too.

If I'm honest, I did not enjoy my time there. My brain and personality type are not well suited to a military lifestyle. I also really hated living in New York City. If those two things don't bother you, you'll be much happier there than I was.

That being said, I have no regrets. If I had it to do again, I would. The education and certification I got there has allowed me to live very comfortably.

Also, the Summer Sea Terms were a really great experience. Lots of work, lots of stress, but you'll get to see a lot of really cool places.

Oliver, Cardude, Healhustler, Darrell and I were talking about your interest in the Navy at lunch today. The concensus opinion was that you want to go in as an officer which means college. Darrell suggested you should look at the NOAA Corp. He worked with them when he worked with the hurricane hunter guys. He said you'd be an Admiral very quickly. I don't think he was kidding.

Hmmm. This is an interesting subject for me. I thought my whole life I wanted to be an officer in the US Navy. I went to New York Maritime, and then enlisted in the US Navy into the Nuclear Power Program.

Being an officer has its ups and its downs and likewise being enlisted has its ups and downs. That said I'm glad I was an enlisted person because enlisted get to do whereas officers get to watch.

Officers get a much spiffier uniform.

Consider the difference between an engineer and a tradesman. One does while one instructs.

I currently work as an engineer but I preferred working as a tradesman.

As it turns out the money is probably preferable to the tradesperson.

Depending on the skool you chose , IF it has a ROTC program do join it.

The time in the ROTC is counted as military time in terms of years of servoce, sop 4 years in ROTC is worth way more if toy join up.

Yes you can chose the service you desire after ROTC.

But check with them , I was in the USN in 64, things change

I was in 68-71. My take is this, considering your age go for the gold. Annapolis!! Take every math course and ace them. Physics and so forth. Talk to your counselor. He/she knows more about current requirements than we do. Go to the Annapolis web site. Read same.
Enlisted, same with the math...

Hmmm. This is an interesting subject for me. I thought my whole life I wanted to be an officer in the US Navy. I went to New York Maritime, and then enlisted in the US Navy into the Nuclear Power Program.

Being an officer has its ups and its downs and likewise being enlisted has its ups and downs. That said I'm glad I was an enlisted person because enlisted get to do whereas officers get to watch.

Officers get a much spiffier uniform.

Consider the difference between an engineer and a tradesman. One does while one instructs.

I currently work as an engineer but I preferred working as a tradesman.

As it turns out the money is probably preferable to the tradesperson.

Great input...there are so many layers of info that go back and forth how to do it...you REALLY need to sit down with someone who spent a long time in and saw life on both sides of the enlisted/officer sides.

So much has changed yet a few details are the same.

My son joined 5 years ago and we have mega talks on career and what are his paths for his goals.

He is a rescue swimmer yet he spends more time on sonar and combat situation info electronics than jumping....he is an AWR on HH60 helos.

He is finishing up his 3rd deployment out of Japan after enlisting and being accepted into the SEAL program. Bad joints were one of the reasons for dropping and going rescue swimmer..but it still was a ba** buster and he loves and yet hates his job...which isn't abnormal for most of us.

At any rate...it is a topic that can take many hours of debate whether it is a good fit or not, which service, full carrer or not, officer or enlisted, special program joinup and which one....etc..etc...

Before signing up...it is a chunk of life that is precious based on what experiences you get but never returned if it doesn't fit your overall plans.

Before signing up...it is a chunk of life that is precious based on what experiences you get but never returned if it doesn't fit your overall plans.

Exactly!

And remember, it's not the military of old, in a lot of respects, both good and bad.

If you're lucky enough to make it 20 (probably more by the time this administration is through with it!), you'll enjoy some nice benefits, and the memories of a lifetime.

OTOH, if you get somewhere in between and they (again, the administration) decide that we have too many sailors, we're spending too much on the military, or there's just not enough crap going on to justify your existence, then you'll be sent packing, and you'll have "somewhat" wasted that portion of your life.

Please don't misunderstand. There's nothing that will take away the memories or the skills that you'll gain, and all at someone else's expense. That's a good thing. And the skills and education you'll gain, even if you just do a hitch, can mean the difference in a well paying gig on the outside, and even the opportunity to apply in some cases.

If you decide to go, take advantage of the opportunities offered. If there's a school or advancement opportunity, TAKE IT! If there's a chance to interact with other teams, military units, civilian groups, TAKE IT!

You never know where life is going to lead, and what some of those "opportunities" may turn into.

Listen to the advice other's have given you here. It's all pretty darned spot on!

All the best on your decision.

OD

Good summation PS

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom