Krogen 42 History

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe the boat is quite range limited by twin engines and modest fuel supply.
There is a 1970s vintage KK 42 on yachtworld with twin 80hp Lehmans and 250 gal fuel (but only 50 gal water). How far would something like that go before the fuel was exhausted?

Every Krogen 42 I've sever seen looked like a million dollars to me. That might be one of the several good reasons that their resale values stay strong.

The resale is strong because of the Krogen name. I like the KK42 but dont start thinking they dont have a lot of the same problems as other boats of that era. And just like a lot of those boats,,, they were made in the far east. One old story written by a magazine journalist included a few paragraphs about the yard that was building the KK42. Apparently they were low on CSM so they used news paper in some non critical areas. His biggest concern was the low quality of the chinese paper :).

Every Krogen 42 I've sever seen looked like a million dollars to me. That might be one of the several good reasons that their resale values stay strong.

Unfortunately the only one I've ever set foot on was very badly neglected, and pretty nasty. It's listed on yacht world for less than 80k, but I'm not sure that's a bargain.

I'd love to have a nice one. It's my ideal boat.

Unfortunately the only one I've ever set foot on was very badly neglected, and pretty nasty. It's listed on yacht world for less than 80k, but I'm not sure that's a bargain....

Same here. We looked at a 1981 KK42. The boat had many issues from deck beam ends rotted to dry rot around the pilot house doors. The owner's wife came in while we were doing the survey and showed me where the Tupperware containers were that collected the water from the deck leaks. We were looking for a project boat but this was beyond that. The saying goes, "if you've seen one Krogen, you've seen one Krogen".

Like kulas44 says, "...don't start thinking they don't have a lot of the same problems as other boats of that era..

If you have ever had the opportunity to look at the lamination schedule for a Krogen trawler, and the ring frame/bulkhead arrangement, you would know that "hogging" or swayback as it was called (incorrectly I might ad) is an impossibilty on these boats. The hull and superstructure simply does not allow it.

Seeing is misbelieving your statement. Perhaps the swayback look was the builder's intent?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom