Newbie to the Trawler World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill R.

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cold Duck
Vessel Make
1996 Shannon Voyager
Hi,
Bill from Chocowinity,NC. We just sold our power boat and am actively looking for a trawler and have looked at the newer 34 and 35/39 Mainships and have heard negative comments about the inability to hold a constant speed on the 34's from a broker selling a 40 and swim platform issues which hold back speed on the 35/39s from a broker selling a 34.
We may want the ability to go a little faster at times that's why we were looking at those boats.

Thanks,
Bill

There are also a couple of Bayliner 32 Motor Yachts in the area and one is really well kept and has twin HINO diesels.

Bill

We purchased a 2004, 34 Mainship last year and are very pleased. We have not found any of the problems mentioned. A great boat for two people, plenty of power with the 370hp Yanmar and good fuel economy at trawler speeds.

Ray

Ray, Thanks for your input,
it is always helpful to talk to "someone who owns one"

Bill

Welcome to the forum!
Enjoy the search for your new boat.

Ted

:hello:

Hi,
Bill from Chocowinity,NC. We just sold our power boat

Bill..Is this you who had the Bayliner? If so, we met at your power squadron get together a few weeks ago...We've got the Cape Dory 28 trawler over at the Washington Waterfront.

Welcome and good luck with the search!
This is a great forum with lots of knowledgeable owners...tons of help here.

Last edited:
welcome

Thanks for all the welcomes and Steve yes we met at the Washington waterfront.
Sold my Bayliner last week.

Thanks again,
Bill

Thanks for all the welcomes and Steve yes we met at the Washington waterfront.
Sold my Bayliner last week.

Thanks again,
Bill

Ah! Figured! By the way there is a lateish model, mid 30's Mainship over at Washington Country club. Under the roof on the fuel dock pier. Don't know the vintage, but one with the folding transom. You might try to connect with him. Fiberglass topsides look a little wavy! Most Mainships here are of the older vintages..

As I understand it, there was a known flaw with water intrusion into the swim platform on some of the early 350s. Don't know details, but I'd assume since it was a known problem that Mainship fixed it, and the fix would have carried over into the 390s.

We didn't buy one at the time, but we shopped hard on 'em because the 350s had most of the features I'd thought of that would improve (for us) the 34 Mik III we had: stairs instead of ladder to the bridge, wider beam, centerline master berth, better sidedecks, a door from the lower helm to the side deck, etc.

-Chris

Thanks Chris,

Yes I have heard of that problem, it was necessary to dig the foam out of the platform and then install a bilge pump.

Bill
We purchased a 2004, 34 Mainship last year and are very pleased. We have not found any of the problems mentioned. A great boat for two people, plenty of power with the 370hp Yanmar and good fuel economy at trawler speeds.
Ray

Bill
I agree w/ Ray. I do think there were issues on earlier MS's but we are pleased w/ our 2008.
Let me know if you have other specific questions. Happy to help.

Don, Thanks for your input and I only have one question, Is your's for sale ?

Just kidding !

Thanks,
Bill

Bill,

Bought Chardonnay a few months back and am very pleased with her. None of the problems you mentioned. She has the twin Yanmar 240s. If you would like to try one out, mine is available for charter through Southwest Florida Yachts.

Thanks,

I'll keep that in mind as I narrow my search.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom