Single-handed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
A prime criteria in selecting a boat was immediate access to the boat's deck which is close to dock's level. Comment or disagreement? ... Left hand still on controls:

232323232%7Ffp734%3A5%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D3939%3C59792336nu0mrj

Last edited:
Absolutely for single handling.

Mark, I`m with you - our IG 36 has lower controls to sbd with a slider next to it. Sadly we are port side to in our pen - can`t win them all.

It got me thinking about why the helms (and access to the deck) are placed on one side or the other. Is there a nautical or design reason - in a channel passing port to port is a bit like driving on the right hand side of the road so why aren`t all US built/designed boats built with controls and access on the port side?

Having the helm to starboard gives one a better view to the "danger zone" where other boats will expect you to avoid them. Also, for me, the starboard propeller "creep/propwalk" makes docking to starboard more convenient.

Wouldn't it be cool to have a small, all function remote control box that a guy could hold in the palm of his hand whilst positioned anywhere on the vessel! I'll bet such a device already exists somewhere.

When I was younger I would have strongly disagreed. As I single handed GBs up to 48' and other boats well over that from the flybridge all the time and very rarely from the lower helm. But now that I'm older and don't move quite as fast I agree.

You're absolutely correct. Being able to solo dock was one of the major non-negotiables when boat shopping. Seaweed has pilothouse doors on both port and starboard so docking (along side, I'm not good at slips/not enough experience) is a snap.

I did have to install adequately sized cleats. The ones outbound, aft of the doors are only suitable for a fender. Dinky little toy things (5") whereas the new ones are 8" and forward of the doorway.

Still, I'm amazed by how well some can handle their larger boats.

I'd agree that is is certainly important, even though my boat does not have side access from the pilothouse. I have to do a quick scamper to the cockpit; and an even quicker scamper back to the helm if I miss the hookup with the spring line.

One item on my to do list is a second set of engine controls in the cockpit. I can then use my emergency tiller to bring her into the dock.

I don't think the value is limited to single handing. I just personally like easy deck access. Now, is it absolutely essential? No, many get by without it. But to me not having easy access is a deal breaker.

A pilothouse with doors on either side, and nice side decks are on my short list for sure. My current rig involves a bit of a squeeze past some seats and a short walk to get to the aft end or swim platform where I hook up my stern line first. It's not as convenient as it could be, but it keeps my approaches slow and forces me to get lined up really well.

One of the main selling points to me of my Hatteras was a center lower helm with all-around visibility and full height sliding doors on each side. Coupled with walk around side decks and direct fast access to the stern through the salon, even klutzy, dyslexic me was able to single hand the beast , which I did on several occasions.

I did have to install adequately sized cleats. The ones outbound, aft of the doors are only suitable for a fender. Dinky little toy things (5") whereas the new ones are 8" and forward of the doorway.

12 or 15 inch only cost a bit more , and as needed multiple lines can be secured.

For loopers 12 or 15 is a great time saver in locks riding the wall float.

That was high on my list. Unfortunately boats are often compromises. A starboard stern docking station and an easily navigated interior does offset most of the lost exterior walkway.

Ted

I would have to say the helm location (although some good points were brought up about age and agility) is secondary to preparations PRIOR to approaching the dock in the first place. It seems a crap shoot on docks you come to. Some have fenders permanently mounted, with dock lines attached. Others are bare wood, steel or rock face with barely a thing to tie too.

It doesn't matter where the helm is if you have to stop securing the vessel and hoist more fenders, and re position lines to more suitable cleats because of lousy dock appurtenances.

Also, paying attention to the current and wind PRIOR to approaching is more important than how quickly you can get a line out (on the wrong end of the boat)

I would have to say the helm location (although some good points were brought up about age and agility) is secondary to preparations PRIOR to approaching the dock in the first place..........

Also, paying attention to the current and wind PRIOR to approaching is more important than how quickly you can get a line out (on the wrong end of the boat)
I am forced to practice the above, religiously. My only set of controls are on the fly bridge. (which is the only thing I don't like about my boat) Since they are electronic & If I decide to keep them, it's a simple matter of adding another set in the cockpit or the salon. (Just string some wire and add the controls.)

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.27 AM.jpg
    Screen shot 2015-02-14 at 6.47.27 AM.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_0673.jpg
    IMG_0673.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 111
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
I've been single handing my 40' Willard for years with no problem. What's more, my trawler is a wide body sedan with no side decks. When entering or leaving moorage I operate the boat from the flybridge. That said, I've fitted out my boat with an articulating rudder and 8 hp bow thruster that works off a remote control; I step off the boat, tie off the stern line and use the remote to keep the boat at the dock.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435501784.377785.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435502038.767783.jpg

Absolutely agree. I have four steps to come down and often wonder what would happen if I landed on my ass while making a descent.
dan

Mark...if you were single-handed, who took the photo? ;)

He has a "selfie stick" that mounts in his burgee holder and has a small digital camera on it.:blush:

Having operated boats with both port & starboard helms, I must disagree that watching the "danger-zone" is easier fron a starboard helm. To do this from a starboard helm requires a position akin to sitting in the corner. Also posts and pillars loom large looking past them from up close.
With a port helm watching the "danger-zone" is easier & more comfortable as you do not have to stare into the corner.

I am forced to practice the above, religiously. My only set of controls are on the fly bridge. (which is the only thing I don't like about my boat) Since they are electronic & If I decide to keep them, it's a simple matter of adding another set in the cockpit or the salon. (Just string some wire and add the controls.)

Just add a plug and wired remote. Then you can move to either side.

Having operated boats with both port & starboard helms, I must disagree that watching the "danger-zone" is easier fron a starboard helm. To do this from a starboard helm requires a position akin to sitting in the corner. Also posts and pillars loom large looking past them from up close.
With a port helm watching the "danger-zone" is easier & more comfortable as you do not have to stare into the corner.

My boat isn't great too when driving from starboard...but it definitely depends on the boat.

At night, looking out the door on the starboard side is much better than looking through the windows...but then again..on my boat...not all.

I've been single handing my 40' Willard for years with no problem. What's more, my trawler is a wide body sedan with no side decks. When entering or leaving moorage I operate the boat from the flybridge. That said, I've fitted out my boat with an articulating rudder and 8 hp bow thruster that works off a remote control; I step off the boat, tie off the stern line and use the remote to keep the boat at the dock.
View attachment 41495View attachment 41496

That centerline walkway to the bow is a really nice feature. I wish I had that. My trip to the bow is a fairly harrowing balancing along the 6" side decks. I suspect I look a lot like this when I go up there:

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435511291.621601.jpg

Perla took that photo so I wasn't single-handed. :eek: Guilty as charged, but shown to highlight immediate deck access from boat controls.

Perla took this photo when I was alone onboard, beginning a four-hour voyage to the boatyard:

I was leaving the berth, but the undocumented view of arrival would be the same.

Went out for a solo jaunt this morning, and my boat hook modified for bull rails saved the day.

You see, somehow, (me-thinks it was a squadron of highly evolved thumb sized horse flies working in unison) Badger went from neutral into forward just as we were about to kiss the berth.

Luckily, I had the hook out the pilothouse door and fully engaged around the bull rail to keep us from being blown off, which kept us in place until the momentary "What the **** is happening?!!?" sense of disbelief had passed.

Recommend anybody who lives in bull rail country to make the same mod...those whimpy little boat hook ends would never have given such a secure hold :thumb:

Note to self while docking; keep elbows low...keep elbows low...keep elbows low...

Attachments

• Bull Rail : Boat Hook.jpg
    Bull Rail : Boat Hook.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 101
  • Bull Rail : Boat Hook #2.jpg
    Bull Rail : Boat Hook #2.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Mark, I agree I also "back to starboard" and from the helm I am right there at the mid ship cleat and ready to tie off.

Firefly is easy to single hand.

Single handling is easy w/o twin screws or thrusters if you're just landing on a float or dock w/o much wind. But making a landing in a slip w another boat there is challenging. Thankfully Willy's fairly deep so falling off w the wind is lessened but still an issue. I back in and having someone on the bow to fend off the other boat is good. But w enough fenders it's easy enough. Haven't done it enough yet to know how "exciting" it will get yet. I almost never go out by myself though as Chris is almost always w me. I SH a lot in the past w my Albin though and that was easy but still only most of the time. Wind was a much bigger issue and things happened much faster w the lighter boat. But control response is much faster too.

Three crew is ideal. One at the helm and one on each side or end as the situation pans out.

Murray,
Yes I miss the bull rails. What kind of tubing did you use on your tricky stick?

Last edited:
This thread is really interesting to me since I single hand 95% of the time. (My wife's hobby is riding her horse.) I'm listing the boats I've single handed to make a point that almost every boat can be operated by one person if you really know your boat and do some pre-docking planning. I'm no expert but product knowledge (knowing your boat) and its eccentricities is the most important thing I can think of.

48' Offshore Yacht Fisher.........Twin Diesel- No Bow thruster
42' Ocean Alexander sedan...... " " " "
38' Mediterranean Sport Fisher.. " " " "
54' Mediterranean Sport Fisher.. " " Bow Thruster
35' Tiara Open......................... " " No Bow Thruster
29' Chaparal............................ Twin Gasser -No Bow thruster
30' Mainship............................ Single diesel -Bow Thruster
32 Halvorsen Gourmet cruiser.... " " " "
42' Ocean Alexander Sedan........Twin Diesel- Bow Thruster

What have I learned in my 74 years on the planet? Know your boat! (and get a bow thruster as it covers up a lot of bad judgement when entering a slip. :D)

Last edited by a moderator:
Murray,
Yes I miss the bull rails. What kind of tubing did you use on your tricky stick?

Cheap hardware store shelf bracket affixed with hockey tape :D (I keep it collapsed inside the pilothouse door, so rust hasn't been an issue).

Worked like a charm yesterday, holding Badger's bow from hitting the end of the slip while layers of situational awareness unfogged (about 2 to 3 seconds) :facepalm:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom