Old 06-28-2015, 09:02 AM   #24
ranger58sb
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Each outboard manufacturer is well aware of the ethanol issues and they have made recommendations of how to maintain and run with E10. I really feel if one follows those recommendations they will have minimal issues. I simply say listen to the engine manufacturer and what they say for your engine model and age. Most of them today see little issue with 91 octane or higher E10. They also do have guidelines for gas sitting any period of time. They also recommend the additives to use if needed.

Yep, got all that. The motor was certified for E-10. Memorized the 5-hp/2-stroke manual, followed meticulously. No joy.

Didn't seem to be a problem with the engine; just the fuel breaks down too quickly when it sits unused in our environment. And I think low HP 1-cylinder motors can't really power through any water build-up. And BTW, the straight ethanol layer will really race an engine!

Faster "recycling" worked easily enough, though. And an external fuel-water separator would likely help, too... although in the meantime, faster "recycling" was, in effect, a manual fuel-water separation.

That's high on my list of installs, though, once I improve the way the battery and the fuel tank (for this new 4-stroke) sits in the dinghy.

-Chris