Starside's Electric Conversion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The technology for electric boats is likely to be in research and development, as it is for cars. As an early adopter it may not be everything you`d like now, but it is highly likely to get better.

I would never consider trailering a wood boat. A recipe for disaster IMO

Our dock neighbor with a 1940 Hackercraft runabout routinely trailers it from here over to Starside's ideal destination, about an hour drive... and he says it's easy, no strain on the hull, etc.

-Chris

The technology for electric boats is likely to be in research and development, as it is for cars. As an early adopter it may not be everything you`d like now, but it is highly likely to get better.

Exactly! Battery range & power will only get better over time - & I think the technology will come faster than people think, esp w Tesla's battery research.

Our dock neighbor with a 1940 Hackercraft runabout routinely trailers it from here over to Starside's ideal destination, about an hour drive... and he says it's easy, no strain on the hull, etc.

-Chris

I don't like trailering Starside. Haul in & out is expensive, too.

There were a few boaters from the show who offered to tow me over but I decided to keep her home this year. I don't want to stress her hull after I just refastened her, you know? Guess I'm being protective...

Starside, are you saying it's not possible for you to power your shore charger with the Honda generator while underway? I have my shore power cord plugged into my generator and can power the charger or other 110V systems as needed with the Honda eu2000i. Have you tried this?

My Quick Charge charger system is 120 volts. The electrician said that I'd need a larger generator than the portable Honda...

For me, a generator defeats the purpose of going electric. Keep in mind it was only to cross the bay for the boat show. For that one trip, it's not worth the costs. I'm content to dock her next year on the other side of the bay so I'll be closer to St Mike's.

In the future, instead of a generator, I would consider more batteries...but I also may wait for the technology to catch up. My present batteries have a 5+ year lifespan. I suspect when it's time to get more, those newer batteries will be more powerful w longer range.

There's also solar power. Per the yard, it's not enough to power...yet. Those panels are also developing quickly to be lighter & more powerful in the future.

I truly believe that if I wait a few years, the electric conversion will be all that & more. ?

I don't like trailering Starside. Haul in & out is expensive, too.

There were a few boaters from the show who offered to tow me over but I decided to keep her home this year. I don't want to stress her hull after I just refastened her, you know? Guess I'm being protective...

Jim apparently has his own trailer -- along with 12-15 classic cars/trucks, a 50' Tiara here, and a 65" (or so, their "big boat") Hatteras down in FL -- so he's likely in a different situation. :)

The yard here did his latest re-caulk, a couple years ago now, I think; that was interesting to see. You've maybe seen his boat at the museum sometime in the past.

And over Memorial Day, he had it over in St. Michaels Marina rafted up against one his bud's 60' Viking sportfish. I learned later he'd trailered the Hackercraft over there, then came back and made the trip by water on their Tiara. Turns out they're also big buds with the FL folks who were in the slip just in front of us at Higgins, too; completely coincidental chance meeting. What a hoot!

-Chris

My Quick Charge charger system is 120 volts. The electrician said that I'd need a larger generator than the portable Honda...

I can understand the afinity to avoid using combustion engines in your electric boat. Just curious...how many amps is your charger?

I can understand the afinity to avoid using combustion engines in your electric boat. Just curious...how many amps is your charger?

Another good question! & once again, I left the manuals on the boat, but I'll look it up when I'm there again this week...& thanks for everyone's patience!

Jim apparently has his own trailer -- along with 12-15 classic cars/trucks, a 50' Tiara here, and a 65" (or so, their "big boat") Hatteras down in FL -- so he's likely in a different situation. :)

The yard here did his latest re-caulk, a couple years ago now, I think; that was interesting to see. You've maybe seen his boat at the museum sometime in the past.

And over Memorial Day, he had it over in St. Michaels Marina rafted up against one his bud's 60' Viking sportfish. I learned later he'd trailered the Hackercraft over there, then came back and made the trip by water on their Tiara. Turns out they're also big buds with the FL folks who were in the slip just in front of us at Higgins, too; completely coincidental chance meeting. What a hoot!

-Chris

He probably goes to the Classic Boat show in St. Mikes every year. I may have met last year. This year, I'll keep an eye out, but owning so many boats, I wonder which one he'll be exhibiting! LOL

By the way, I've been on Higgins waiting list for a covered slip for 2 years now. I love that place. Just hope one day I'll get in. ?

So far, the Hacker runabout is the only classic he has... that I know of. :)

Higgin's covered shed would be a good place for you, assuming you can handle the commute. Kent Narrows in the meantime, maybe? You could get from there to St. Michaels on one charge...

-Chris

Are you sure you really want to go to the show? Seems like several options are available if you really, really want to go. Towing is perfectly acceptable until close enough to complete the trip under your own power. Same with renting a genset for the crossing and removing it at a nearby marina. Then make your grand entrance. Just seems if I really want something I will go to great lengths to make it happen.

So far, the Hacker runabout is the only classic he has... that I know of. :)

Higgin's covered shed would be a good place for you, assuming you can handle the commute. Kent Narrows in the meantime, maybe? You could get from there to St. Michaels on one charge...

-Chris

I'm paid for at Galesville til next year but will move to Kent or Piney Narrows next Spring. ?

Are you sure you really want to go to the show? Seems like several options are available if you really, really want to go. Towing is perfectly acceptable until close enough to complete the trip under your own power. Same with renting a genset for the crossing and removing it at a nearby marina. Then make your grand entrance. Just seems if I really want something I will go to great lengths to make it happen.

I really really want to go! & I will be there - staying at a cabin through the weekend, plus I volunteered to help.

The real issue is getting a tow to/from on calm water. Peeps have to make a special trip to pick me up & take me back...on the days when the sea is calm.

I just think that's asking a lot - those big boats don't have to wait for calm seas. If they want to leave on Sunday, they can. I don't want to infringe on others where they have to adjust their schedules around me. ?

Starside was there last year, so everyone knows my boat. I was also asked to help w judging this year, so that will be cool cuz I can learn a lot from that experience.

I wonder if there are any classic boat shows on this side of the Bay...doesn't Solomon's have one?

Here are a few pics from St. Mikes.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435324334.054693.jpg

Another one...

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435324377.474328.jpg

Last one of city dock.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1435324542.969522.jpg

Oh that's funny. Small world! & I think I met him at Higgins.

The show was good this year but some of the boats didn't make it cuz of the bad weather.

I loved judging. It was hot, though, & we were judging the big cruisers & we were all sweating after visiting so many engine rooms. But we got to judge some beautiful boats. We had both over 40 & under 40 cruisers.

A beautifully restored Trumpy won in the above 40 class, & a hardtop Lyman won in the below 40 class. The latter is also in our neck of the woods. There was a 1935 constellation there that I strongly voted for - I think she got a special award - she was immaculate.

Yep, always a nice show. We didn't get there this year, but we make it over for the shows sometimes...

-Chris

Starside, have not heard from you in a while. How are you doing with the conversion? Is it working out the way you were planning? I know you had it running....

Thanks for checking in!

Yeah, her conversion is done & I've been cruising quite a bit this summer. Even built up my confidence to cruise solo. I do well docking, too! Just had to practice.

Re the engine, she just needs a bigger prop but I'm getting that done this winter during her haul out.

She's become quite popular at the marina, too. Lots of folks interested in her conversion & im always taking peeps out for cruises. I like having a crew! & she truly Wows a lot of people. Many sail boaters approach me cuz they seem more apt to convert but a few power boaters are big fans, too.

Anyway, I love how she handles. The electric motor is truly quiet & she handles better than before.

? & im always looking for crew!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom