City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
RE: Let me help you sell your boat!!!

Quote:
Marin wrote:

Daddyo wrote:

Hatteras have always been fiberglass.
There is a large Hatteras in our marina--- don't know the model but it's at least 50 feet long.* It was featured in one of the local boating magazines awhile back (Nor'westing).**I*don't know the year it was made but as I recall it has a wood hull.* However in searching the web I cannot find any reference to wood-hulled Hatteras boats.* So I dunno....

The wording of the interview I read with*Howard Abbey about his role with Hatteras was just that--- he helped get*Hatteras into fiberglass.* However this may have meant that when Hatteras started up, Abbey was instrumental in helping them with their fiberglass work.* Abbey with a couple of other people were the primary people who got American boatbuilders into fiberglass. As such they were the early "gurus" in this material.* I assumed Hatteras, like American Marine,*had been building in wood prior to getting into fiberglass but this may well not have been the case.

-- Edited by Marin on Tuesday 21st of December 2010 11:42:22 PM
Hatteras has always built fiberglass yachts.* The first was a 40' named Knit Wits that was built in 1959.* I have seen the boat.* It was also reacquired by Hatteras*and refurbished.* It was built to hold together while fishing off Cape Hatteras.* The builders were members of the Hatteras Marlin Club--------thus the name.* Jack Hargrave designed it and all the eary Hatterie.* As has been said in the 70's my slip was next to the Hatteras factory slip at Morehead City.* All their factory sportfishing demonstrators were named Hatteraskal and their cruisers were named Laura.* Now you know the rest of the story.

For Rick B., I do know what I am talking about here.* Please excuse that little thingy about MTUs.

Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote