Grocery Store Guide - Puget Sound

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

6-Pack

Vessel Name
The 6-Pack
Vessel Make
1974 Custom Aluminum Pilothouse
My wife and I will be leaving with our family for an extended cruise of the South Puget Sound. My wife will go anywhere with me on the boat but she wants to have access to an affordable grocery store for provisioning. We are moored in the second largest marina on the west coast and there is not a grocery store within walking distance. She hates shopping at the expensive grocery stores collocated with most marinas. We are trying to cruise on a budget and as you know farmers markets and accessible stores seem to want to fleece the average boater. Does anyone know of a guide or website that might have a cruisers guide to marinas with walking access to decent box style grocery stores? There does not seem to be anything in the Waggoner Guide for example about this other than what is at the marina.

Google Maps is your friend. Just type "Grocery stores near wherever". Plenty of Safeway's near the sound.

For any significant provisioning I'd either borrow a vehicle or get a taxi, at least on the return trip. Perhaps walk to the store, taxi back.

6-Pack-Google is a good idea, but, thinking about it, I don't really recall any marina we have been in around the Sound with a chain-type (Safeway/QFC) store within walking distance. I think you might have to resign yourself to stocking up pretty well and then figuring out how to bus/taxi to stores.

Hi Jeff and Michelle,

If you make it down South as far as Olympia, there is a Bayview Thriftway just a block from Percival Landing (you can moor the big boat there or take the dingy). The store is right next door to the Olympia Yacht Club and isn't the cheapest in town, but the prices are reasonable and it is very convenient. The Farmer's market is also nearby and runs almost every day.

The other option would be to hop on a bus (the transit center is 1 block away) and take Route 47 to Safeway or Route 12 to Fred Meyer/Costco.

Last edited:
Safeway offers deliver in Issaquah, Kirkland, Lake Stevens, Mill Creek, Milton, Puyallup, Renton, Seattle, Silverdale, and Vancouver, so if you're at a marina in any of those areas you can get it delivered.

The biggest shopping shock we encountered when provisioning in Anacortes for a week on Orcas Island was paying US $55 for a 1.75 Liter bottle of cheap Tequila that we can purchase locally in over taxed Mommie-fornia for $18. ALL liquor in WA is extremely overpriced.

Gig Harbor had a small chain grocery (forget the company) that closed a couple of years ago. But when we were there last fall I spotted this (attached), and a quick Google search shows that "Harbor Greens" is open in Gig Harbor.

Gig Harbor is a fabulous boating destination - suggest staying at Arabella's Landing, eating at Net Shed #9 (I think). Actually, there was a thread last year about Gig Harbor...

Attachments

• HarborGreensGigHarbor.jpg
    HarborGreensGigHarbor.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 241
Donsan-not so much vice tax. Until three years ago, the state was the only liquor seller, state operated stores. Costco was instrumental in getting a referendum passed to get the state out of the liquor business. But, the state figured they were losing a lot of money giving it up and so imposed some fees (in addition to sales taxes) to make it all up. It is a bit disconcerting to pick up a 750ml bottle of booze listed for sale for $35, and get to the register and be told the bill is now $53 (with all the fees & taxes added in).

Hi Jeff and Michelle,

If you make it down South as far as Olympia, there is a Bayview Thriftway just a block from Percival Landing (you can moor the big boat there or take the dingy). The store is right next door to the Olympia Yacht Club and isn't the cheapest in town, but the prices are reasonable and it is very convenient. The Farmer's market is also nearby and runs almost every day.

The other option would be to hop on a bus (the transit center is 1 block away) and take Route 47 to Safeway or Route 12 to Fred Meyer/Costco.

Scott,

This is really helpful thanks!

-Jeff

Gig Harbor had a small chain grocery (forget the company) that closed a couple of years ago. But when we were there last fall I spotted this (attached), and a quick Google search shows that "Harbor Greens" is open in Gig Harbor.

Gig Harbor is a fabulous boating destination - suggest staying at Arabella's Landing, eating at Net Shed #9 (I think). Actually, there was a thread last year about Gig Harbor...

Yes, we love Gig Harbor. However, we are headed further south as well and we are just trying to figure out where to go. I agree with your comments above. We took the easy to use shuttle into town and went to the Fred Meyer. It was a good adventure!

Safeway offers deliver in Issaquah, Kirkland, Lake Stevens, Mill Creek, Milton, Puyallup, Renton, Seattle, Silverdale, and Vancouver, so if you're at a marina in any of those areas you can get it delivered.

Thanks - I will check into what Safeway charges. I have never tried that before!

Donsan-not so much vice tax. Until three years ago, the state was the only liquor seller, state operated stores. Costco was instrumental in getting a referendum passed to get the state out of the liquor business. But, the state figured they were losing a lot of money giving it up and so imposed some fees (in addition to sales taxes) to make it all up. It is a bit disconcerting to pick up a 750ml bottle of booze listed for sale for $35, and get to the register and be told the bill is now $53 (with all the fees & taxes added in).

I was joking. Minimum prices of liquor are controlled by the state of Michigan. This was a compromise made some years ago which permitted grocery stores and chains like Walmart and Meijers to sell liquor in competition to liquor stores and mom and pop shops. The result is liquor costs 50-100 percent more than in FL. Not sure why voters haven't demanded the state be removed from the liquor pricing business but it is convenient getting liquor in grocery stores. More fun to drink in FL anyway!

Back
Top Bottom