"Choosing the Right Anchor"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

refugio

Guru
Vessel Name
Lulu (Refugio sold)
My USCG 100 ton Master license expired last week - I've already taken the refresher course and passed the exam, but haven't gotten around to getting the other stuff (mostly the medical and drug tests).

So one of the things I'm doing this summer is subletting a 2nd slip at my YC to put my dinghy in (don't ask, it will just piss me off) and they have on the form a place for the Washington State Boater ID. I didn't need to get that because I had my Master license, but now that it's expired I figured what the heck, I'd do the online course and get a "lifetime" ID card.

It's a brutal process - I'm forced to wait for each page to go through a pre-determined time lapse before proceeding to the next page. I have a 2nd monitor, I'm just screwing around on the web, so it's easy to just hit "next" every few minutes.

I'm now up to the topic of "Choosing the Right Anchor", and here's the start of that topic. Gee, it was nice of them to note that the "plow-style anchor is good for most boats" - except the illustration isn't a plow. They also note that the "fluke-style anchor...is also good for most boats". This is in contrast to the only other anchor type they mention, the mushroom "should not be used to anchor boats larger than a small canoe, rowboat, small sailboat, or inflatable boat"

I am sure glad that all boaters in Washington state will have this valuable information about choosing the right anchor. <sigh>

Attachments

• Screenshot 2015-06-23 19.59.50.png
    Screenshot 2015-06-23 19.59.50.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 96
My USCG 100 ton Master license expired last week - I've already taken the refresher course and passed the exam, but haven't gotten around to getting the other stuff (mostly the medical and drug tests).

So one of the things I'm doing this summer is subletting a 2nd slip at my YC to put my dinghy in (don't ask, it will just piss me off) and they have on the form a place for the Washington State Boater ID. I didn't need to get that because I had my Master license, but now that it's expired I figured what the heck, I'd do the online course and get a "lifetime" ID card.

It's a brutal process - I'm forced to wait for each page to go through a pre-determined time lapse before proceeding to the next page. I have a 2nd monitor, I'm just screwing around on the web, so it's easy to just hit "next" every few minutes.

I'm now up to the topic of "Choosing the Right Anchor", and here's the start of that topic. Gee, it was nice of them to note that the "plow-style anchor is good for most boats" - except the illustration isn't a plow. They also note that the "fluke-style anchor...is also good for most boats". This is in contrast to the only other anchor type they mention, the mushroom "should not be used to anchor boats larger than a small canoe, rowboat, small sailboat, or inflatable boat"

I am sure glad that all boaters in Washington state will have this valuable information about choosing the right anchor. <sigh>

you expected something better out of the government regarding the operation of boats??
:nonono:

HOLLYWOOD

Wait till you see the trucks the EPA is designing as the current builders and owners dont give a damn about fuel mileage!

The DEAD HAND lives!

&quot;Choosing the Right Anchor&quot;

As a reminder you only have one year to get the renewal done. Anything past one year expiry will make your license become completely useless. If you allow it to go past one year 'grace period' you have to sit for the entire exam again.

Your story reminds me of my in laws. They were lamenting the extra layer of BS they had to go through to go boating several years ago. They had their son in law over and he was doing his state license on the Internet. After about 20 minutes all 8 of them had their state issued 'boating safety' card printed and in hand. Sort of defeats the whole purpose. But it's done all the time.

Last edited:
Plow/Claw ... what's the difference? They show a picture that clearly identifies the type of anchor refered to. A poor drawing but the drawing leaves no doubt they are talking about a Claw.
Considering the source you'd think there'd be better editing though. But still the communication is accurate.

Wait till you see the trucks the EPA is designing as the current builders and owners dont give a damn about fuel mileage!

The DEAD HAND lives!

Yeah, I know a guy in management of one of the largest truckload carriers in the US. At one time his soul job was finding anything that would even shave a fraction of a penny per mile off costs. Then he would do a cost benefit analysis. A penny a mile is big money to large trucking companies. They struggle to shave costs. One of their big clients is Walmart who they carry coast to coast loads for. Take a look at this.

Had to do some research on High Speed Trains in the US. Seems the then US government decided that none of the High Speed Trains used by the European or Asian countries were good enough for the US. Given the specs issued by the government no one wanted to bid. Government paid to have a train designed and built and now we have the most expensive train to buy and operate in the world. Very slow by High Speed Train standards. Also seems to have a few safety problems.

...... and now we have the most expensive train to buy and operate in the world. Very slow by High Speed Train standards..
I'm told by an engineer at GE (locomotive division) that the trains are capable of much more speed but the tracks (like most of America's infrastructure) are not.:nonono:

I'm told by an engineer at GE (locomotive division) that the trains are capable of much more speed but the tracks (like most of America's infrastructure) are not.:nonono:

:thumb:...just wait a day for news of another AMTRAK horror story....

Hey guys, no worries SEC railroad is going to have 32 passenger trains a day from three stops in south Florida running to Orlando with no stops in between and running 120 MPH. I have no idea where they are going to get the passengers.

Oh btw this will for all practical purposes stop boat traffic on the New River in Ft. Lauderdale and across the Saint Lucie waterway from Lake Okeechobee. No improvements to the near 100 year old water crossings are planned.

With 2-3 bridge closing an hour from 0600 to 1800 and a cycle time of 20 min. per closing....well you do the math.

http://www.tradeonlytoday.com/featu...oatyards/marina-news/aboard-forida-rail-plan/

Watch what happens between 1000 and 1500. lol love how the boats all parked in a straight line and not moving.

http://www.tcpalm.com/franchise/sha...in-all-aboard-florida-public-comment-meetings

But hey perhaps they can get some of the same handouts that Amtrak gets.

Last edited:
Take a look at this.

Thanks for that link, Don. Although they still don't speak about the actual comparative mileage figures or the cost of mfg, the fact that they save 4000 lbs on the trailer alone speaks volumes about potential increased profit over the life cycle of such a unit, especially when controlled by a in-house dispatch that can assign a predictable cube, density and line-haul length from the plethora of truckload options an outfit like Walmart must have. The in-place legal restrictions of such a vehicle to pick-up and delivery points within short distances of the Interstates already enhance accountability. Besides Walmart, I can think of very few companies that could take full advantage of such a vehicle. Interesting concept.

Hey guys, no worries SEC railroad is going to have 32 passenger trains a day from three stops in south Florida running to Orlando with no stops in between and running 120 MPH. I have no idea where they are going to get the passengers.

Oh btw this will for all practical purposes stop boat traffic on the New River in Ft. Lauderdale and across the Saint Lucie waterway from Lake Okeechobee. No improvements to the near 100 year old water crossings are planned.

With 2-3 bridge closing an hour from 0600 to 1800 and a cycle time of 20 min. per closing....well you do the math.

Not all aboard with Forida rail plan | Trade Only Today

Watch what happens between 1000 and 1500. lol love how the boats all parked in a straight line and not moving.

Video simulation shows St. Lucie River bridge, boat traffic when All Aboard Florida is operational - TC Palm

But hey perhaps they can get some of the same handouts that Amtrak gets.

The bigger problem is what is going to happen with vehicle traffic on land. If this insanity actually happens, heads will role as the already horrendous vehicle traffic just stops moving. People will die when ambulances are stuck in traffic trying to get to the hospital on the other side of the RR tracks.

I used to live in S. Florida, the traffic was horrible and it has to be worse today. A draw bridge cycle or train crossing just made the traffic that much worse. The amount of train traffic being discussed will grid lock roads for most of the day in some areas. The traffic near my parents is already horrible, though it has improved with a new bridge, but as more development happens and these trains, the traffic is going to be unreal. How the FD, PD and EMS will be able to effectively respond to calls with the RR closings is a big question.

Later,
Dan

Other than the fact that rail pays for passenger service nowhere but the Northeast, passenger service is a loser everywhere else. If they are going to do it anyway, tunnels under the rivers are the obvious answer. That will probably never happen.

Nothing make rail promoters happier than tying up traffic on the surface streets.

Other than the fact that rail pays for passenger service nowhere but the Northeast, passenger service is a loser everywhere else. .

Creative accounting allows the Northeast to break even. No costs are allocated to purchasing the trains and other "capital items". Thus we are looking at operating costs only.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom