Bbq etiquette

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Many marinas have no barbecue rules as in some instances insurers have them and in others they are local ordinances. In most apartment complexes you can't grill with an open flame on any balcony or patio or anywhere within a certain distance of the building. Some complexes that have struggle with compliance won't even allow a grill on the patio. I've seen the no barbecue rules more in covered marinas and in some of those people choose uncovered simply to have the privilege of grilling.

That is one of the advantages we have with electric grills that regardless of the marina rules we're ok. The rules always apply to open flames, whether charcoal or gas.

A marina that has it banned in its rules and then still allows it is fighting with fire in many ways. They've assumed significant potential liability. They'd be better off with no rule against it.

Which...when I have asked with enthusiasm isn't really the rule.

If the marina was smart...the fine print from the insurance company may include electric. Even electric grills have flare ups as I have witnessed on my own...

Insurance companies may all word it differently...but in reality...that's what they want...no open flames of any kind...but then they have lost their minds as candles, lighters and who knows what elese would be banned.

Which...when I have asked with enthusiasm isn't really the rule.

If the marina was smart...the fine print from the insurance company may include electric. Even electric grills have flare ups as I have witnessed on my own...

Insurance companies may all word it differently...but in reality...that's what they want...no open flames of any kind...but then they have lost their minds as candles, lighters and who knows what elese would be banned.

I should have been more specific. There are electric grills that flare and those that don't. However, there are electric grills UL approved for indoor use. When I'm talking electric I'm talking about Kenyon and Gaggenau and such. They do not have open flames. Not the electric grills that look just like gas grills and do have flames, such as Weber or Coleman or Char Broil. The danger of the type electric grill we have is significantly less than that of a frying pan.

Oh, and I must admit to being a gadgetholic. I've never seen a kitchen gadget/appliance I didn't want to try. Over the years I've tried virtually every indoor countertop grill imaginable. Grills like Breville Smart Grill do a great job cooking but they are smoky and a mess to clean up. Also the grates wear easily. Even the basic Sanyo grill does a pretty decent job but is also a mess to clean. I never liked Foreman for steaks, although I did for chicken. The old models were difficult to clean. New ones perhaps not as much, but I haven't tried one in years. Now at home we do have Kenyon indoors. We have gas outdoors. I built my obsession with indoor grills when I lived in NC and some days were not conducive to outdoors. But my latest and most favorite gadget. T-Fal Optigrill. It does everything it says. It cleans up easily. It's light system for telling you the doneness actually works. It's not equal to an outdoor gas grill, but it does a quite decent job on burgers and steaks, a great job on hot dogs and sausages and pork tenderloin, an amazing job on a london broil, and a perfect job on grilling skinless chicken breasts.

I guess the rare electric grill is totally flame proof...I doubt many insurance companies will spell just those out...

The point is "outdoor cooking" is likely to have flareups and good luck trying to explain your flareup free grill to the unreasonable marina manager.

Hey...don't get me wrong....most boats are electrical fires about to happen...grills are the least of my concerns.

With the 4th of July coming up...all the marina neighbors are terrorists in that their fireworks land on peoples canvas and sometimes do burn holes in it.

The world aint perfect and I can live with risk...just not with the people who become unreasonable when their actions are obviously dangerous.

I'd go back to an electric grill but like many boat things...just not in the cards for this one.

Last edited:
The smell of a BBQ is just one of those summer smells which have traditionally been a good thing. Next thing you know people will be wringing their hands when they want to mow their lawn, should the overwhelming smell of grass offend someone.

(I've never been in a marina where I have seen any rules about firing up your rail mounted gas grill. And technically, these are much safer than all the gas ovens and ranges we have and use in a enclosed space)(Oh and give me a wok and I'll show you a flare-up on a "flare-up proof" range any time.)

Last edited:
The smell of a BBQ is just one of those summer smells which have traditionally been a good thing. Next thing you know people will be wringing their hands when they want to mow their lawn, should the overwhelming smell of grass offend someone.

(I've never been in a marina where I have seen any rules about firing up your rail mounted gas grill. And technically, these are much safer than all the gas ovens and ranges we have and use in a enclosed space)(Oh and give me a wok and I'll show you a flare-up on a "flare-up proof" range any time.)

As to the grass mowing. I'm allergic to it. So, if I see someone mowing their lawn, since I'm very much a minority in that, I stay away and perhaps take some medication as well. At home, I schedule that as a good time to go run errands, maybe lunch out.

The restrictions I've seen on grills have mostly been covered inland docks.

The Admiral and I BBQ a lot. If someone complained I would offer them a dog and beer and say come aboard.

Oh man, he said the "A" word.

We switched to an electric grill and it works great. No flare-ups, no propane bottles, no problems.

Last edited:
We ate out on a friends boat with a Miele electric grill on the aft deck and it worked pretty well- or at least I know my steak tasted great.

A, as in awesome boat shoes?

This picture shows Magic in its slip at our yacht club next to my slip mate's boat, a Nordy 47. The next picture shows Magic with some "bait" on the stern rail. If he takes the "bait" I will know that you Nordy guys are all of them same ilk and I will never trust people like you again.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 127
This is the bait pic.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 140
Wait a second! You positioned those so if a sea Ray wakes your marina your boat will rock therefore the shoes will fall off the rail and float away. Then you can blame your innocent Nordy friend. You're horrible.

Btw, he has the same home port as us!

Totally protected from wakes. We'll see who's horrible. Using my grandson's baby cam too.

Same home port? Maybe you know him. Initials are MH.

What about Music?

What about kids playing?

Using the head?

Cooking with garlic?

What about starting up to leave and running the windless very early?

Smoking a cigar?

Smoking a turkey?

Nude sunbathing?

Showering on deck?

What about hull slap?

Locus, what about locus??!! :eek:

I think the world is too sensitive, If the normal sounds/ smells of boating, camping, bowling, rock climbing, surfing, star gazing.... bother you then go away and don't do it.

Leave me alone, I'm a libertarian with a gun and a generator. :thumb:

images

Amen and please pass the hand grenades. :devil:

This picture shows Magic in its slip at our yacht club next to my slip mate's boat, a Nordy 47. The next picture shows Magic with some "bait" on the stern rail. If he takes the "bait" I will know that you Nordy guys are all of them same ilk and I will never trust people like you again.

You think you a Nordy owner will steal your crappy old boat shoes??

Don't you know that all wear fir lined elk hide slippers when aboard??

A word of caution though.. the cute girl that waxes his hull every month might take them home to her surfer boyfriend

The Nordy owner probably thinks somebody aboard your boat's feet stink so bad even they cannot stand to keep their shoes inside!

:confused:

HOLLYWOOD

hmason,
I'm more into boats than shoes. These shoes are a very expensive brand that starts w "A"? And you think your slipmate will steal them?

Why on earth would a person that is affluent enough to afford a Nordhavn be interested in old shoes left out on a rail? ..... that belong to someone else? If he notices the shoes he may form some opinions about your housekeeping as I see his boat is very neat and tidy.

Other than just the question of honesty, many other reasons I would never be a suspect in a shoe heist. First and foremost is I would not want to wear anyone else's shoes not knowing where their feet have been or what conditions such as athlete's foot they might have. So all can consider their shoes definitely safe from me.

after all.. the neighbor is a nordhavn owner... he doesn't want to walk a mile in a GB owners shoes!!

HOLLYWOOD

My wife says we're lacking in entertainment.

Had to show her the posts about the shoes.

I'm still thinking I must have missed something.

It's a running joke from when Howard's shoes got stolen from the boat show. Another TFer there at the show was Oliver, N4712, so he got blamed. Jokingly, that has cast all N47 owners into the sphere of suspicion for hmason. His hunt for the perpetrator continues.

I thought hmason's post was hysterical. It's been a very funny thread woven through many conversations here on TF. You never know where it might pop up next.

Thanks so much for the background Al.

And my apologies to hmason if needed.

Just remember what a very wise man (Steven Wright) said, "Before you criticize someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you DO criticize them, you'll be a mile away - and you'll have their shoes!"

Never any complaints about our bbq, but on more than one occasion we've had someone call us on the vhf and ask if we were on fire?!? Nope, just my husband burning dinner...

Never any complaints about our bbq, but on more than one occasion we've had someone call us on the vhf and ask if we were on fire?!? Nope, just my husband burning dinner...

LOL! I expect a similar call but my response will be, "No that's just my Volvos."

Just remember what a very wise man (Steven Wright) said, "Before you criticize someone, you should first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you DO criticize them, you'll be a mile away - and you'll have their shoes!"

Steven Wright also said that his home was burglarized and everything he owned was taken and replaced with exact replicas. Wish good ole Ollie had provided me with the same courtesy. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom